Now 30 LSU players test + for COVID19

Discussion in 'GarryP's Trojan Huddle' started by Tusc2000, Jun 21, 2020.

1. Now 30 LSU players test + for COVID19
    Tusc2000

Tusc2000 Junior Member

Jun 21, 2020
    "This is what we anticipated. We planned for this. Our plan is working the way it should,'' Shelly Mullenix, senior associate athletic director of health and wellness, told The Associated Press.

If LSU's plan was to infect the team early on, well, I guess it's working. But a couple of issues here. From a health concern, while very unlikely to be fatal for 18-23 year olds, there are indications that people who contract COVID19 can develop some serious long-term lung problems. Lots about this disease we don't fully know yet.

From a football standpoint, not every school will see this spike in the off-season, some will probably get hit in September, impacting at least 2 games, depending upon how many players are affected.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/29339767/sources-large-number-lsu-football-players-placed-quarantine

https://www.advisory.com/daily-briefing/2020/06/02/covid-health-effects

2. xuscx

xuscx Junior Member

Jun 21, 2020
    A couple of thoughts. At that age and healthy complications are very rare, so not a bad idea to get it over with.
    But it is also pretty clear the south is under reporting actual results.

3. uscvball

uscvball Junior Member

Jun 21, 2020
    Let's represent the information correctly. The linked article DOES NOT SAY that 30 players tested positive.

"not all players in isolation have tested positive; some are in isolation as they await their test results."

It says that 30 were placed in quarantine.

Why so many players? Because a lot of them hit the clubs in Tigerland which is a strip of bars and clubs.
    [​IMG]

"A day after announcing coronavirus clusters stemming from a graduation party in New Orleans and large gatherings at bars in Baton Rouge, city Health Director Dr. Jennifer Avegno said Saturday that the incidents highlight the importance of avoiding "super-spreader events."

At a 2 p.m. news conference, Avegno said both events are affecting people from the New Orleans area, with about 30 sick with COVID-19 from what may have been more than one graduation party here and an as-yet undetermined number of the 100 coronavirus cases from a handful of bars in the Tigerland area near LSU."

And here is the problem with depending on players to do the right thing....

"Some of the cases were traced to players' visits to Tigerland, an area of bars and restaurants in Baton Rouge that was the source of a recent COVID-19 outbreak. The (Baton Rouge) Advocate reported Saturday that the spread started with a gathering of friends....When you do contact tracing and get some honesty from kids, it’s very easy to see where it came from and what happened," Shelly Mullenix, LSU senior associate athletic trainer, told SI. "I can talk to them about wearing a mask, but if your mask is under your nose, you’re not wearing a mask."
    https://www.sportingnews.com/ca/ncaa-football/news/lsu-quarantine-covid-19/14ry0scd7tssu16pg103cscyhs

Same thing as the Clemson players during their protest march/gathering. They were around hundreds of people, some not wearing masks, some wearing masks the wrong way, ZERO social distancing, and several players/coach using the same mic to speak loudly into and touch with no cleaning in-between.

And same thing we see after USC spends hours talking to athletes about how to stay out of trouble, what they are required to do to keep their scholarship, etc, but some still don't abide by it. Kids are gonna kid.

4. uscvball

uscvball Junior Member

Jun 21, 2020
    If "the south" is under reporting that's a good thing because in Louisiana, the death rate for diagnosed patients is 7%. If more people were tested or they reported those results, that 7% would come down. If anything the reported deaths are exaggerated because covid cases are counted even if the primary diagnosis is something else and covid is one of several co-morbidities.

5. Kaptain Karl

Kaptain Karl Points Member

Jun 21, 2020
    The danger to supremely healthy 17-24 year olds is about zero. The danger to me is about zero. This isn’t going away anytime soon. The real threat isn’t to the players, it’s to the older coaching and support staff members.

6. SoAmericanTrojan

SoAmericanTrojan Junior Member

Jun 21, 2020
    And the players families.....just saying

7. Troy70

Troy70 Junior Member

Jun 21, 2020
    Even younger staff & faculty with health issues cardio, diabetes, obesity, HBP & type A blood.

8. SouthbayTrojan91

SouthbayTrojan91 Junior Member

Jun 21, 2020
    LOL

FightonOC likes this.
  9. Peete2Affholter

Peete2Affholter Junior Member

Jun 21, 2020
    LO+L

Yeah, all these numerous reports of athletes in all the various sports contracting COVID19, starting with Rudy Gobert back in March, but with what, zero reported deaths? (Correct me if I'm wrong) make me think the actual threat to not just young healthy athletes, but the average person, is way overblown.

Given that the US has hardly instituted the very harsh restrictions many other countries have put in place, it seems likely that almost everyone who has been out and about on their normal business these past three months has, at some point, been exposed, knowingly or not.

So, either we've achieved some measure of herd immunity, or this virus is less deadly than originally thought.

FightonOC likes this.
  10. uscvball

uscvball Junior Member

Jun 21, 2020
    These players are not going to put compromised family members at risk. It's very easy to make a commitment to the season and plan for no contact with grandparents or sick parents/siblings/etc. Even when they see their family, they can all CHOOSE to stay 6' apart and wear masks. We are way past the point of killing grandma.

11. SoAmericanTrojan

Jun 22, 2020

12. SoAmericanTrojan

Jun 22, 2020
    Why you want to put anyone at risk for your morbid need for football.......we all know someone that tested +, if you think you lucky, young, physical fit tell that to all the new cases or "slow don the testing" to fit omg we all over reacting narrative you seem to post....just sayin

13. uscvball

uscvball Junior Member

Jun 22, 2020
    I have no morbid need. I don't have season tickets and have no plans to attend any games. I won't be heartbroken or bored this fall either way. I don't know even one person who has tested positive...not one.

What is true is that every single person at this point, knows if they are the most vulnerable among us are....older than 65, overweight, diabetes, HBP, COPD, cancer survivors or those under treatment. There are a few other co-morbidities but those are the most obvious. The responsibility for doing as much as possible to prevent infection to those folks, are the people themselves. Stay home, avoid contact with other people, avoid crowds, wash hands, etc. For family members of those vulnerable....stay away from them. Period. If you feel an absolute need to see them, wear a mask and stay 10' away. It has nothing to do with luck.

There is no reason for a player to have close or unsafe contact with their families at this point. The rest of the country has gone without attending funerals, weddings, birthings for about 4 months now. If the US can endure zoom funerals for 4 months, I'm sure a college football player can go through the season with limited family contact.

There have been dozens of athletes across all sports who have been infected. Not one death so far. Most have mild or no symptoms. So yes, I think it borders on overreaction to use "family member risk" as a reason to be concerned about starting the season.

14. mrsocal

mrsocal Points Member

Jun 22, 2020
    If being positive imparts some kind of immunity from re-infection, it is better to be exposed to the virus now rather than during the season.

15. FightonOC

FightonOC Member

Jun 22, 2020
    You are right and those people should be immediately quarantined and not able to participate. I hope these people are being excluded from contact. However those people on the low risk side should not be penalized.

16. Turkued

Turkued Junior Member

Jun 22, 2020
    Here in the UK the Bournemouth goaltender was able to get himself infected a few weeks prior to the resumption of the season. He's told a few people it was intentional - he should be immune for the rest of the season. Makes sense in distorted way.