Name the little things

Discussion in 'GarryP's Trojan Huddle' started by tenku, Sep 29, 2019.

1. Name the little things
    tenku

tenku Junior Member

Sep 29, 2019
    This has been bugging me for a while and I don’t know why Clay Helton as HC has not addressed them so here we go:

1. Running backs going side ways behind line of scrimmage instead of choosing a hole and hitting it fast.
    2. Tyler Vaughns doing his backwards dance after a catch and losing a couple of yards more often than him causing a tackle to be missed.
    3. Linebackers and DBs trying to push opponents to ground instead of wrapping up and tackling to ground.
    4. Defensive players taking bad angles for a tackle instead of containing and forcing opponents to go inside on jet sweeps and QB keepers.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2019

2. qqqqqqqman

qqqqqqqman Junior Member

Sep 29, 2019
    1. Running backs going side ways behind line of scrimmage instead of choosing a hole and hitting it fast.
    Totally agree here. Facing 3-man fronts, I don’t see why we’re not just blasting away on quick hitters, with the extra move into the 2nd level by unoccupied linemen? We should be easily popping 4-8 yards on most runs. Instead, we take 2-3 sideways steps
    and defenders are up into our gaps blowing it up before anything starts. Carr gets no momentum going forward....Vavae has to continually stutter and spin to find a hole.

2) WRs that get no separation. Is it just our routes? Is it all the 6-yd. outs and curls that causes the lack of separation? Or is it because we don’t run any 12-15 yd. slants, seam routes, or crossing patterns?
    Crossing patterns are very hard to track by CBs....they run into traffic if man-to-man, or lose sight if in zone. The QB can lead a WR going across the field and the CB can’t catch up.

3) Along with #2......for an “Air Raid”-throw-it-all-over-the-field offense....we are pretty boring and predictable. Not a whole lot different than last year.

4) Punter ain’t doing anything to help. Thought he was the Australian Ray Guy? Does Baxter really shackle him with hang time concerns? Even when we’re punting out of our endzone?

5) Still too much sheit talking after defensive stops. After every good play I have to hold my breath for 3 seconds while I look for flags.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2019
    gubo&palanka likes this.
  3. eliminator207

eliminator207 Junior Member

Sep 29, 2019
    5. Smaller defensive players tackling larger ball carriers above the waste resulting in a broken tackle or being carried by the ball carrier for an additional 5 yards.

Juan Machuca likes this.
  4. PickSicx

PickSicx Junior Member

Sep 29, 2019
    $28 for the Brisket Fries. Gotta pay for Haden's Folly somehow.

5. GoSC27!

GoSC27! Points Member

Sep 29, 2019
    How about the obvious things that are not getting corrected week after week:
    1) Defense giving up too many offensive yards
    2) Defense cannot stop the 3rd and 4th and long
    3) No edge containment
    4) Poor tackling
    5) Penalties
    6) Oline woes erratic and cannot consistently establish the run game
    7) Let the fricking punter kick the hell out of the ball
    8) Off topic: Enough with the USC'sway ridiculous threads
    Fight On!

6. Cyrus

Cyrus Junior Member

Sep 29, 2019
    Running backs going sideways for no gain is annoying.

Lining up next to the QB and getting a handoff without a running start and no momentum doesn’t help either. Unfortunately we can only dream about the I formation. But maybe we should try Pistol on some plays.

7. CoachRoy

CoachRoy Junior Member

Sep 29, 2019
    All valid points, good job!

8. FTFO/USC

FTFO/USC Junior Member

Sep 29, 2019
    I think with the running backs going sideways, its a play calling thing. They think Carr is their speed back and usually have him running outside and Vavae & Stepp running inside. I would have it this way - if you think you can run for block, let Carr run. If you dont think you can block for em, Let Vavae and Stepp get 3/4 yards a pop.

As far as the punting, by all accounts Griffiths is just following orders. He's hanging them up there and letting the guys cover. My guess is the coaches don't think they guys can cover punts and are being safe.