My take on the 5 most important games

Discussion in 'GarryP's Trojan Huddle' started by TrojanInSF, Aug 19, 2019.

1. My take on the 5 most important games
    TrojanInSF

TrojanInSF Points Member

Aug 19, 2019
    Super bored at work and jacked for CFB. Here are my thoughts on the 5 most important games on our schedule, and why. Note: my "goals" for the season, in order, are 1) win the South, and 2) with the Pac 12. Beyond that I don't think anything is realistic.

Second note: UCLA is not on this list. I think they will be terrible and we should win that game handily.

5) - Stanford
    Stanford is down a bit from their peak a few years back, but this is always an important early-season measuring stick and tone-setter as the first game of conference play. A solid win puts us on a great trajectory, while a repeat of last-year's ass kicking immediately turns up the heat on Clay's job status.

4) Oregon
    I debated putting this game higher but 4 seems about right. We have a brutal P12 North slate this year, and we have to win one vs. UW or Oregon. I'll prioritize the Ducks game to hopefully send a message to our SoCal recruits who seem so enamored with Oregon these days. Time to put a stop to the #CaliFlock movement.

3) ASU
    Probably the one I'll look back on as silly, but I think ASU has a hell of a head coach, a relatively soft Pac 12 slate, and will be in the thick of the P12 South standings come November. This is a head-to-head we really don't want to lose if we want to go to Santa Clara.

2) Notre Dame
    Our recent lack of success against the Irish has been unacceptable, and while I think a win is unrealistic, this is one of the few "all eyes on us" games we will have all season. A decent showing here is mandatory after the abomination of our last trip to South Bend. As we've seen in recruiting, the national perception of USC is very important, and this is a chance to show well on a big stage against a national power.

1) Utah
    Nothing fancy here. Utah is the class of the South, and the winner of this game is in the driver's seat to win the division. We caught a break getting them at home on a Friday night (atrocious scheduling once again by the Pac 12). This one is a must win.

USCTFL, KiwiSCfan, gepetohong and 3 others like this.

2. Houst

Houst Member

Aug 19, 2019
    34-27 Joshua Kelley rushes for 290 Yards.

3. TrojanInSF

TrojanInSF Points Member

Aug 19, 2019

I've chosen to black that game out from my memory. They were dog crap last year, should have beaten them then as well.

TrojanFireHorse12 likes this.
  4. DaFireMedic

DaFireMedic Junior Member

Aug 19, 2019
    While I have misgivings about saying this, I think the UW game is more important than the ND game. While the USC vs ND game is my favorite sporting event of the year, I think it more important to beat UW this year, mainly because they are Pac-12 and likely the best team in the North.

It was the win against UW in 2016 that really launched USC into the national spotlight.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2019
    TrojanFireHorse12 likes this.
  5. Troy21511

Troy21511 Junior Member

Aug 19, 2019
    Think You Guys will never be able to outlive the 66-19 thrashing in 2005..Mind You 13 of Your points were scored in garbage time.The whole 4th quarter..Lol

6. TrojanInSF

TrojanInSF Points Member

Aug 19, 2019
    Valid point, it's a huge game. Obviously the conference record implications are significant, and it could be a Gameday caliber game depending on where records are heading into that weekend (though Week 5 is a loaded CFB slate).

That said, there were some unique circumstances about the 2016 game. UW was undefeated and #4 in the country, and the win over ND meant less that year given how terrible they were.

DaFireMedic likes this.
  7. TrojanFireHorse12

TrojanFireHorse12 Junior Member

Aug 19, 2019
    "5) - Stanford
    Stanford is down a bit from their peak a few years back, but this is always an important early-season measuring stick and tone-setter as the first game of conference play. A solid win puts us on a great trajectory, while a repeat of last-year's ass kicking immediately turns up the heat on Clay's job status.'

That was one of the worst attempts at a Stanford ass-kicking a long while then. Now Harbutt running up the score in 2009 (or 2008), now that fits the bill, not last year. It was a pretty crappy game overall.

8. TrojanInSF

TrojanInSF Points Member

Aug 19, 2019
    You don't think we got our ass kicked last year?

We scored 3 points.

9. TrojanFireHorse12

TrojanFireHorse12 Junior Member

Aug 19, 2019
    That game was ass for both teams imo

scoring 17 points (in total) against a not so well oiled defense, doesn't speak to a ass-kicking *shrugs*

10. Houst

Houst Member

Aug 19, 2019
    But they didn't.

11. GoSC1

GoSC1 Junior Member

Aug 19, 2019
    Yet here you are on a Trojan football forum. Not even after that 50-0 game did I feel any urge to go on a ruin board. Yet, here you are. I guess deep down you do know your our bitch

USCTFL, OC2SC, SC93er and 2 others like this.
  12. Cyrus

Cyrus Junior Member

Aug 19, 2019
    FIFY

AZUSCfan and SC93er like this.
  13. Troy70

Troy70 Junior Member

Aug 19, 2019
    Furd was not great last yr but we looked inept scoring 3 points. Had a crappy flight back home . If we lay an egg this year at Coli September will be brutal ,lol

14. SC93er

SC93er Junior Member

Aug 19, 2019
    I would swap UW for ASU. On some level, the perception is that we should beat the AZ schools and Colorado so a win against any of these schools won’t be considered particularly impressive. Beat UW and we’ve made a statement, both within the Pac and nationally.

15. gepetohong

gepetohong Junior Member

Aug 19, 2019
    Oddly enough, IMO the 5 most significant games will be the first 4 plus Oregon. The first 3 may appear not as significant, but starting 3-0 will be a huge psychological boost for the team going into what may be the toughest 3-game stretch in CFB against consecutive top 15 teams. I think winning the first 3 handily will signal that USC may be back, certainly in the players’ minds, and that is a dangerous thing with that talent level. And then the first big test against Utah will be the barometer as to whether we ARE back. And then with Oregon, I think that is our actual barometer of where we are as a team (as I don’t think we survive the 3-game stretch unscathed), where we are measuring ourselves against a likely top 20 team.

16. SCnAZ

SCnAZ Junior Member

Aug 20, 2019
    Don’t be surprised if we manage to get through the trees, that this team takes that momentum and has a better year then expected. But, then again, the team could go South if the coaching sucks!