Musings from Arledge: UBSAA Demands, Explosiveness, and Two Quarterbacks

Discussion in 'GarryP's Trojan Huddle' started by ErikMcKinney, Jun 23, 2020.

2. denali15

denali15 Points Member

Jun 23, 2020
    A question, as I admit I have no idea: is it common for athletes to face retaliation for expressing opinions? So common that there needs to be an Official Statement?

3. gubo&palanka

gubo&palanka Points Member

WeAreSc Member
    Jun 23, 2020
    What's Chip doing? LOL

84Trojan likes this.
  4. Arhedge

Arhedge Junior Member

Jun 23, 2020
    I'm not sure how common it is. I haven't seen any statistics on the question, if that's what you're asking.

But free speech is under attack at colleges and universities around the country, and it's increasingly under attack from online mobs outside the universities. (In Europe, it's under attack from governments as well.) Statements in support of free speech are, in my opinion, welcome regardless of the prevalence of retaliation against college athletes.

So I have no problem with the UBSAA wanting a statement that its members won't be retaliated against for speech -- I think it's unlikely they would be under these circumstances anyway -- and I would like to see USC give such a statement and extend it to all students and to all political and social statements.

5. USC15

USC15 Points Member

Jun 23, 2020

6. J4SC75

J4SC75 Junior Member

Jun 23, 2020
    Great article, Chris! It is a crazy world right now. I avoid commenting on most online forums because of the inevitable attack. It's not in vogue to respect differing points of view. Perhaps some of our mutual interest in sports, our loyalty to SC, and bless Garry's heart, his expectation of respectful exchanges on this forum have kept WeAreSC one online forum that we can post without fear.

I agree that, in a time that protesters are diverse, all voices raised should be both respected and protected.

in2nation, gubo&palanka and dbw021 like this.
  7. Troy70

Troy70 Junior Member

Jun 23, 2020
    Well written Chris on a tough subject. Students and alums should be allowed to speak their minds. I was at a OC alumni meeting after Keck Dean scandel came out in LA Times. When I was talking with other upset alums a school employee came over to tell us not to talk about it. Really?SC hiding crimes hardly makes me want to pull out my wallet. Police need better training to subdue violent suspects. I use to train with law enforcement guys who sought out advanced training on their own time but most won't spend the time.

gubo&palanka likes this.
  8. Boselli

Boselli Junior Member

Jun 23, 2020
    "But this brings me to a potential problem with the UBSAA’s statement: the USBAA also demands that the USC athletic department take immediate action to support current protests and Black Lives Matter by directing fans and supporters to donate to Black organizations and bail funds for protestors.”

The children of their generation. This does not surprise me. They are going to be our thinking police... they are going to be the most PC age ever to live... on the cusp of being a millennial.
    Ask Seinfeld.

9. fssca51

fssca51 Junior Member

WeAreSc Member
    Jun 23, 2020
    I remember a time when there was never a political argument introduced into college football. It was a blessed time. I look forward to a day when college sports is free of politics

Last edited: Jun 24, 2020
  10. David Brown

David Brown Member

Jun 23, 2020
    It is nice, and unusual, to see a reasoned approach to this complex issue. Free speech should be assumed for ALL parties regardless of where they stand on the issue. Thank you for reiterating that point. BTW, I believe that we will never be able to solve the race issue as long as only one side dominates the discussion. And it would certainly be helpful if we listened to the "other side" with charitable ears.

11. BOULDER TO BIRMINGHAM

BOULDER TO BIRMINGHAM Junior Member

Jun 24, 2020
    Greg article Chris. The demands from this group about requiring donations to their leftists organizations is absurd, but a sign of the times. These people feel empowered to dominate the conversation and set the rules.
    It's great that this board is an open forum, allowing all to be heard. And that includes ignorant fools like Trojansteve

Rodgarnay51 and gubo&palanka like this.
  12. TrojanHoss

TrojanHoss Junior Member

Jun 24, 2020
    When you insultingly dismiss a point of view that differs from your own ("Arledge stay in Dallas with the dregs of society") you sound more like Bruinsteve5 or Kalsteve5. Be better than that.

84Trojan, Rodgarnay51, OC2SC and 2 others like this.
  13. SGVFlip

SGVFlip Points Member

Jun 24, 2020

14. PickSicx

PickSicx Junior Member

Jun 24, 2020
    Was it the Chip Kelly joke? Sorry he pushed your little button, cupcake.

15. kbruce9022

kbruce9022 Junior Member

Staff Member
    Jun 25, 2020
    Denali: They will if a player takes a knee, or rips off a Nike Swoosh etc. Geez, This entire matter is still the real world seeping into sports. My POV is that I can say what I want and do what I want, just not in a USC uniform. I was part of championship teams that fought thru racial adversity to learn to respect each other and uphold each other in both tough or good times on and off the field. It still happens to this very day as we age and meet all kinds of new challenges. There are fewer of us now, a lot fewer but those of us still here, we still count. We've been there and I am proud to say I am a Trojan...period. No siloing or labeling, just a jersey and a number that I treasure to this day. So to all Trojans, Fight on! We are one...

Rodgarnay51 likes this.