Musings from Arledge: The Urban Meyer question, and answer

Discussion in 'GarryP's Trojan Huddle' started by ErikMcKinney, Nov 9, 2019.

1. USCAlumFightOn

USCAlumFightOn Junior Member

Nov 11, 2019
    Wasn't Rick Caruso thinking of running for mayor. Curious how much Meyer's baggage weights on his political aspirations.

Trojack likes this.
  2. Cyrus

Cyrus Junior Member

Nov 11, 2019
    Meyer has publicly said the Cowboys job is something he would be interested in. But I doubt if that is the only one. Based on the buyout clause in his Utah contract we know his dream jobs were Ohio State and Notre Dame, and he is already achieved one of them.

When there was a rumor of him going to Michigan he quickly shut it down but he has been quiet about the USC job so far. I don’t think anyone has asked him about it which is surprising. I am sure Matt Leinart knows.

K9Buck and ClovisTroy like this.
  3. vikings4123

vikings4123 Points Member

Nov 11, 2019
    I really, really, really like the way you threw it back at those 2 self-righteous, pompous "writers". They should be glad you are not pursuing their jobs. You articulated, so well, what many of us are thinking.
    Final thought...
    Those who know the way are not going to let 2 LA Times writers and a small group of vocal, spoiled-rotten petulant students derail the hiring of Urban Meyer.
    It ain't gonna happen.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2019
    gubo&palanka and ClovisTroy like this.
  4. JC SOXX

JC SOXX Junior Member

Nov 11, 2019
    Well you got to start somewhere, I think letting Helton go now would be the best move. Take a look at our kick off team, wow that is just embarrassing . We are now number 75 in recruiting and no. 83 in coaching.

gubo&palanka likes this.
  5. Trojack

Trojack Junior Member

Nov 11, 2019
    Caruso is the biggest elephant in the room, not Folt, because he needs the LA Times on his side before he can even think about running.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2019
    USCAlumFightOn likes this.
  6. gubo&palanka

gubo&palanka Points Member

WeAreSc Member
    Nov 11, 2019
    Hopefully the brain dead zombies who do what you say here are not running USC.

7. Trojack

Trojack Junior Member

Nov 11, 2019
    Great article that captures things quite succinctly. One thing you failed to mention, not that there was a segue to do so, was that EVEN IF Meyer was able to do the bad things at Florida and Ohio St. that you alluded to, there is less than zero chance he would be able to repeat it at USC because of a corporate culture that tends to micro-manage anything and everything. A school that would give the boot to a Matt Boermeester over something other schools would laugh at is not likely to let an Urban Mayer get away with using the wrong fork at dinner without a reckoning. If there is such a thing as a safe hire, Urban is it, so what this really comes down to is optics and not substance.

CP619 likes this.
  8. The Lizard King

The Lizard King Junior Member

Nov 11, 2019
    CUM gonna work for free just like Jesus did.

9. travyav

travyav Junior Member

Nov 11, 2019
    Any AD that has this mindset cannot see the big picture and shouldn’t be in charge of jack sh*t. A successful football team will easily makeup the difference in an elite coaches salary. It’s peanuts...if you win. Get Urb. Sign the check and get ready for a packed, newly renovated Coliseum.

10. travyav

travyav Junior Member

Nov 11, 2019
    If Urb gets the job, we need to come up with another acronym, CUM is easy fodder for the trolls.

SC ForLife likes this.
  11. travyav

travyav Junior Member

Nov 11, 2019
    They just inked PJ to a long term deal. He isn’t going anywhere.

12. travyav

travyav Junior Member

Nov 11, 2019
    I’m sure Plaschke has “raped” a few $19.99 all you can eat buffets in his time. They see him coming and put away the peel and eat shrimp and prime rib.

K9Buck likes this.
  13. uscvball

uscvball Junior Member

Nov 11, 2019
    I really really think this part of your post is off base. Just because some students may have a different view of Urban than you, doesn't make them spoiled, rotten, or petulant.

USCAlumFightOn likes this.
  14. flyfishintrojan

flyfishintrojan Junior Member

Nov 11, 2019

NO. What a desperate, ridiculous rationalization. USC is not the NFL and its standards are dramatically different. If we were squeaky clean as a University , you might be able to take a flyer on a guy who lied as a coach. As a University ensnared in a series of scandals, one needs to think long and hard about bringing on another known liar. We had a Med School dean lie and commit crimes, , a Student Health MD lie and commit crimes, an entire admissions scandal still winding its way though courts with people GOING TO JAIL lie and commit crimes, a minor sports coach fired for lying and taking bribes, an AD forcibly removed for probable malfeasance, who the hell knows what else might come to light?

The optics of hiring Urban Meyer screams “ win at all costs” because about 10000 football fans can’t stand losing. That is it. The University has been corrupted by the “ love of money” and I know damn well just “ winning” is no where in the school mission statement.

No. Maybe we hire Meyer, maybe we don’t, but brushing off concerns because “ we gotta start winning” needs a serious re thinking. USC does not need to win football titles. It needs to repair it’s local and national reputation as an institute of higher learning, not as a football factory.

15. SCBirnkrant81

SCBirnkrant81 Junior Member

Nov 12, 2019
    'USC should hire Urban Meyer. For once in a very long time, let’s hope USC’s administration does the smart thing.' Thank you Arledge, this was a great write up. The two writers for LA Times are just a couple of click-whores expressing their fear of USC being revived by a real coach.

16. CP619

CP619 Junior Member

Nov 12, 2019
    So torn on this....I can see both sides of the discussion.

I will lean towards USC not hiring UM - and that's not necessarily what I want - but what USC will ultimately do. Walking on campus, you are constantly reminded of Dr. Tyndall. USC Football may not have anything to do with Dr. Tyndall, but it's all under the USC umbrella, right or wrong.

As you enter many buildings at USC, there is a piece of paper taped to the door with the contact information if you were ever under the care of Dr. Tyndall.

Inside buildings, there are TV screens that constantly run ads. Speakers that will be coming on campus, school events, things to do, etc...one of the ads was who to contact if you were ever under the care of Dr. Tyndall. I actually felt sick to my stomach that USC students are dealing with this.

Time heals all wounds...I know this to be true in my own life. Unfortunately, for those that want UM hired tomorrow, enough time has not passed to heal the wounds USC has self-inflicted.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2019
    Trojack, Rodgarnay51 and GoSC1 like this.
  17. GoSC1

GoSC1 Junior Member

Nov 12, 2019
    Timing is everything. I want Meyer to be the Number 1 CHOICE. I emphasized choice because I would like to see other candidates interviewed. I do not believe Meyer is the only solution. If we could get a proven, experienced coach and decide to go in that direction over Meyer, I will be disappointed, but would be cool with it. SC just needs someone who knows what they are doing. Meyer is the instant gratification option. I am going to be honest enough to admit that is my number one choice.
    But, if they can get a PJ Fleck, Stoops, or other successful at up and coming programs, that would be wonderful as well. I just do not want to see SC being used as an on the job training again. No more experiments. I will give the 3 year grace period if I believe that SC will be amongst the elite again/.

CP619 and Rodgarnay51 like this.
  18. USCAlumFightOn

USCAlumFightOn Junior Member

Nov 12, 2019
    If it's all about winning and money then Urban is the best choice. From past decisions, it doesn't look like this is the University's top priority though and I'm not saying if it should or shouldn't be.

19. AlbertoC

AlbertoC Junior Member

Nov 12, 2019
    This has always been my take. Courtney Smith did a national interview where she explained her side of the story. This is just my opinion but she came across as someone who would have been an absolute nightmare to live with. It's obvious that Urban and Shelly tried to mediate and keep their marriage together. It didn't work but I think their hearts were in the right place...which means absolutely nothing in the "me too" generation. As far as Urban's transgressions at Florida. I've posted on other boards that a close look at what his players did makes things look no worse than what goes on at USC or any other school. Well over half those reported 31 arrests were of the underaged drinking, smoking pot, or driving with a suspended license variety which would normally never see the light of day (because of their insignificance..it's what college kids do) if not for a reporter digging for dirt. The great majority of these were dismissed before they went to trial. That was not reported however. As far as really serious crimes, I believe that USC (Pomee, Dixon, Ford, Jones, Lewis, Masina, off the top of my head) had as many of those as Florida did over a 6 year period (2012-18). Also, when players committed serious crimes they were either kicked off the team or suspended indefinitely and transferred before they could be kicked off. You don't think Urban wanted to keep Cam Newton? He committed what looked to be a felony and he was suspended from the team. As far as Aaron Hernandez, he was not on the list of those 31 arrests (he did get in one fight that was settled before arrests were made). He was suspended for one game for drug use by Meyer. He wanted to kick him off the team but Tebow interceded and Meyer relented and gave him another chance. After Hernandez's junior year, Meyer told him he was not welcome to return for his senior year, at which time he entered the NFL draft.

Almost nobody has looked closely enough at what really went down at Florida and his other 3 stops to see how Urgan really handled things. Just like the entire country thinks USC blatantly cheated during the Pete Carroll era due to the fact they just read the headlines... the same thing is the case with Urban Meyer and how he runs football programs. In our era of sound-bites, people rarely dig deeply enough to uncover the real truth.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2019
  20. uscvball

uscvball Junior Member

Nov 12, 2019
    A) What does your opinion of her in an interview, accurate or not, have to do with anything? B) Her husband was a violent, abusive drunk who ordered sex toys delivered to his office....yeah, a real peach that one.

Urban's heart was in his check book and his job. Shelley may or may not have done something to save the Smith marriage....did it need saving? Or did Courtney need help getting out of an abusive situation as an unemployed mother with no financial resources?

You clearly didn't read the article I posted. All kinds of detailed incidents, including commentary from players on those teams. They should know. Urban chose to willfully ignore the crimes going on with his teams at Florida. He turned it all over to the administration who did very little and Florida provided the players with an attorney....who kept very busy. If Urban had no qualms about Hernandez, why did he warn Belichick before they drafted him? You can attempt to whitewash what Urban didn't do at Florida but there is just way too much info out there to contradict your opinion.