Musings from Arledge: The Urban Meyer question, and answer

Discussion in 'GarryP's Trojan Huddle' started by ErikMcKinney, Nov 9, 2019.

1. Boselli

Boselli Junior Member

Nov 9, 2019
    I'll just repeat what I said three years ago, "keep an eye on P.J. Fleck"
    I say this because, well, most of you are about to get an unpleasant education.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2019
  2. GoSC27!

GoSC27! Points Member

Nov 9, 2019
    Well he just schooled Franklin who is supposedly one of top candidates we are pursuing according to rumors. Maybe we should have gone after the Minnesota AD who saw the coaching carousel coming and locked up Fleck with an extension! Row, row, row your boat Fleck!
    Fight On!

RPBSC, Boselli and CrownoftheValley like this.
  3. Boselli

Boselli Junior Member

Nov 9, 2019
    Troy I was in your neck of the woods recently and drove all over the place trying to find Takahashi farms only to finally realize it is gone. If there was anything I missed about the arm-pit of the San Joaquin it was Fresno State football (and by association Jim Sweeney ) and Takahashi and not necessarily in that order.

4. Seaking77

Seaking77 Junior Member

Nov 9, 2019
    I literally agree with every point you two make!

5. desertfoxx

desertfoxx Member

Nov 9, 2019
    Great article.. loved your take on the benefit the players gain from playing for a coach like Meyer
    PC ‘s players made and are still making hundreds of millions of dollars because they received top flite coaching
    Isn’t that the goal of an institution of higher learning .. making students successful
    CA
    keep up the great work. Hopefully we will be smart enough not to pass on this rare opportunity
    .... Veni... vidi.. vici

6. Cyrus

Cyrus Junior Member

Nov 9, 2019
    Someone please email this article to Bohn and Folt!!

Islander 4 USC and Troy4 me like this.
  7. ClovisTroy

ClovisTroy Junior Member

Nov 9, 2019
    Yeah, a lot of the best fruit stands have gone away. However, downtown Clovis is being developed nicely. Still maintains its old quaintness but with some new restaurants and shops. Great farmer's market too. I get all the "arm-pit" stuff (I grew up in Ventura and my first few years here were spent adjusting to the hot summers) but I really do like it here. Clovis is a good place to raise a family arm-pit and all... Fight on!

8. Rod

Rod Points Member

Nov 9, 2019
    You don't need to email this or anything else to President Folt or Mike Bohn. It's rather presumptuous to assume that Folt isn't abundantly aware of the powerful halo effect that a successful athletic program has on a university having just come from UNC, home of one of the top basketball programs in the nation for many years. Likewise, after reviewing Mr. Bohn athletic administration background, I doubt he wasn't green with envy while at the University of Colorado watching Pete Carroll's Trojan's win a couple National Championships, several Pac 12 Championships, and several consecutive Rose Bowls. These folks are seasoned professionals that have been around the track a few times in the world of higher education. I'm quite certain they understand the points shared by Mr. Arledge and could add several more of their own. The question nobody has answered regarding Urban Meyer is whether he's even interested in the head football coaching job at USC. Is he?

TrojanFireHorse12 likes this.
  9. 1969Trojan

1969Trojan Junior Member

Nov 9, 2019
    The issue of USC football and its "integrity"must be left to USC administration, faculty, students, sponsors, Board of Trustees, and fans. President Folt and AD Bohn can sit down with Mr. Urban Meyer and discuss any issues of concerns they have and get his commitments. And that's that. Having an elite football team at USC is good for Pac 12, California, City of Los Angeles, and L.A. Times. Would you rather have the team that played Oregon last week and ASU today or the Pete Carroll's or John McKay's teams? I agree with Chris that USC should not hesitate and go full speed in hiring Urban Meyer.

10. TrojanFireHorse12

TrojanFireHorse12 Junior Member

Nov 9, 2019
    Nice to see that rational thinking still lives

11. CoronaTrojanFan

CoronaTrojanFan Junior Member

Nov 10, 2019
    The alignment of the stars regarding the possible availability of Urban Meyer (I believe he just bought a home in the LA area) at a point in time when USC needs such a leader for its football program seems almost too good to be true. The article in thread covers most all of the arguments for and against such a hire.

I guess the only real issues are (1) is Urban's health still something that would preclude him doing another head-coaching stint and (2) is he interested in the job?

I would think that new AD Bohn would be looking into these questions at this time before there would be any in-depth discussions with President Folt and/or the BOT (if that even matters)

12. Yale

Yale Points Member

Nov 10, 2019
    Well stated...total agreement

13. Rod

Rod Points Member

Nov 10, 2019
    You, Chris, me, Pres. Folt, and Mike Bohn all agree Urban Meyer is the elixir that will cure USC ailing football team and the athletic department at large. Heck, the whole college football world knows what UM can do for a football program and its university. Plaschke and Hernandez are nothing more than "road noise". But, IS UM INTERESTED? That's the real question. Shouldn't we be addressing him re: the virtues of the head coaching job? He's the variable here. . .

gubo&palanka likes this.
  14. fssca51

fssca51 Junior Member

WeAreSc Member
    Nov 10, 2019
    Don't see any reason why Meyer shouldn't be hired by USC. Nothing criminal in his background.

ClovisTroy and gubo&palanka like this.
  15. Mario H.

Mario H. Member

Nov 10, 2019
    Well written article. I agree with the fact that USC is operating on fear. It’s sad, but we all can see it. I also agree with his assessment of timing. When has a fantastic coach like this ever been available when we are in need of a coach? NEVER. Are we to believe that everyone can learn from their mistakes but Urban Meyer can’t? Such Holcomb. Just food for thought here, if we don’t hire him, Notre Dame will. Then we can face him every year.

gubo&palanka likes this.
  16. Jpltrojan

Jpltrojan Junior Member

Nov 10, 2019
    Well, with all the noise about UM coming to SC as HC it would take UM about 1.5 seconds to shut it down. He hasn’t. Hmmm...,

dbw021 and gubo&palanka like this.
  17. Mario H.

Mario H. Member

Nov 10, 2019
    I just saw LSU Beat Bama. What a great job by coach O. Someone please send that turncoat Haden a bouquet of fresh turds for his body of work here at SC. How does it feel to see coach Robinson in a Tiger sweatshirt on the sidelines? I don’t know you Ms. president, but It’s hard for us to watch greatness leave our University, while we retain mediocrity. Please do the right thing and hire UM. Everyone learns from the mistakes that lead to their current circumstance. It’s courage that makes life worth living. I hope you don’t think that coach Franklin is our guy. What we need right now is courage. Fight On Ms. prez.

gubo&palanka likes this.
  18. Lyn the Duck

Lyn the Duck Junior Member

Nov 10, 2019
    In the final analysis, Meyer did lie to protect someone. He did do a coverup. Nixon was impeached for that.

I get the feeling that USC football fans wouldn't care a bit how corrupt the program was, so long as they won games. University presidents are required to have a longer view than that. Wouldn't it be better for USC's reputation to hire a coach who comes without spot or wrinkle on his reputation?

19. SoCal93

SoCal93 Junior Member

Nov 10, 2019
    Go away.