Musings from Arledge: Now we know

Discussion in 'GarryP's Trojan Huddle' started by ErikMcKinney, Dec 5, 2019.

2. KeenObserver

KeenObserver Junior Member

Dec 5, 2019
    Amazing eulogy. Bittersweet. Can’t agree more or say it better.

Yours together in agony,

KO

Last edited: Dec 5, 2019
    84Trojan, FVTrojan, chinaski and 11 others like this.
  3. HermosaSC

HermosaSC Member

Dec 5, 2019
    Well said. Your musings always seem to get to the heart of things, painful as they may be, so thank you for your efforts.

When all is said and done, what I don't understand the most is USC's relentless pursuit of mediocrity.

4. SoCal93

SoCal93 Junior Member

Dec 5, 2019
    The article perfectly sums up the loss many of us feel regarding the state of USC football.

I said this in another thread - near everyone is expecting and accepting a loss to Alabama next year. I can't believe the SC brass has accepted and now expects us to accept mediocrity. The very powerhouses SC used to take head on and win are now accepted losses. That's not the USC I know nor expect. Truly sad.

5. Ccoralles

Ccoralles Junior Member

Dec 5, 2019
    Agree with everything in this write up to the point that I simply tell my Rival University of Washington fans, “Who gives a crap?”...

I am completely beaten down now and have no fight left in me, if the heads of the University have none in them. I feel like I’m out here doing more for USC reputation than the people that get paid to do so.

So, yeah...”Who gives a crap?” Empty stadium and 6-8 wins next year with 50th ranked recruiting class. Sounds exciting...not!

6. SoCal93

SoCal93 Junior Member

Dec 5, 2019
    The problem when one aims for the bottom, they usually miss. SC has definitely aimed for the bottom.

Yale and DJ4SC like this.
  7. CP619

CP619 Junior Member

Dec 5, 2019
    On point, as always. Felt your mic drop at the end.

CA's real thoughts on this subject...

Arledge: Hey! If any of you are looking for any last-minute gift ideas for me, I have one. I'd like Mike Bohn, Clay Helton's boss, right here tonight. I want him brought from his happy holiday slumber over there at Heritage Hall with all the other rich people and I want him brought right here, with a big ribbon on his head, and I want to look him straight in the eye and I want to tell him what a cheap, lying, no-good, rotten, four-flushing, low-life, snake-licking, dirt-eating, inbred, overstuffed, ignorant, blood-sucking, dog-kissing, brainless, dickless, hopeless, heartless, fat-ass, bug-eyed, stiff-legged, spotty-lipped, worm-headed sack of monkey shit he is! Hallelujah! Holy shit! Where's the Tylenol?

8. Hockey10

Hockey10 Junior Member

Dec 5, 2019
    As always well said. I will admit I too am sole searching to what extent I have given up on USC Football. I'll always be a fan. I just won't support this era. Nothing against the players but I stand up to those who do me wrong and if the people in charge want to ignore us fans and destroy our great tradition of being an elite Football program then I won't take it or accept it. They have one less fan supporting them.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2019
  9. PickSicx

PickSicx Junior Member

Dec 5, 2019
    Helton inherited a program with a lot of blue-chip athletes. He did an excellent job for his first two years recruiting some great talent, but clearly that's changed.

That talent level dropped off with last year's class (despite a few stand-out players like Slovis, London, and Jackson). This year's class will be a wipe-out. We'll be lucky to break the top 75. Going forward, the overall talent level of this program will drop like a stone.

If you think we struggled to win with poorly coached 4 and 5 star athletes, just what do you think is going to happen when it's 3-star recruits across the field? In two years, when our roster is filled with kids who were not recruited by Oregon, Utah or Washington (let alone Alabama or Notre Dame), we'll be lucky to win 7 games a year. We're now competing with Oregon State and Colorado to keep Southern California from leaving the state.

It's not a matter of IF they will have to fire Helton, it's WHEN they will eventually fire him. But somehow Bohn couldn't see this. Will he be capable of seeing empty seats, falling revenue charts and the banners that will be trailing the planes that fly over the Coliseum on game day calling for his own firing? Jake Olson, can Mike Bohn borrow your cane?

I've never witnessed an athletic administrator who has so completely destroyed his potential for future success in one stupid move . . . until yesterday. In less than 4 weeks, Bohn went from "This guy will save the program" to "Dead Man Walking". You could not deliberately choose to do anything more nefarious and destructive to destroy USC football than what was decided yesterday.

Helton will not turn the program around. He cannot. He's incapable. It's only going to get uglier, if you ever imagined that that were possible.

Bohn will never recover from this. He's already sealed his fate as a failed AD.

10. in2nation

in2nation Junior Member

Dec 5, 2019
    This is just another step in lowering our expectations. Every time we drop a level, we think, "Ok, now that we can't compete for the CFP once in a while, maybe we can win our conference." Then, "Well... maybe we can concentrate on the South division. That's still within reach!"

And every time the expectations are dropped, the leadership lets the chance to meet them slip away.

1. CFP chances: Not ever gonna happen.
    2. Win the PAC12: Once a decade
    3. Win the South: Once every 4-5 years
    4. Bowl eligibility: Real chance of not making it sometimes.

smh...

11. uscvball

uscvball Junior Member

Dec 5, 2019
    This comment from the article...."Mike Bohn can deliver quality coaches and quality teams — he’s not equipped to deal with criminal doctors and business school deans.." is what I believe you are referring to. I get why you made your comment, however I don't think Arledge was saying Ellis was criminal. It looks to me as if he was acknowledging 2 different issues that have been dealt with on thc academic side; one is criminal doctors.....the other is the business school dean.

12. Arhedge

Arhedge Junior Member

Dec 5, 2019
    I didn't mean to imply that the business school dean was a criminal. If the article read that way, it's due to bad writing and not bad intent.

13. GoSC1

GoSC1 Junior Member

Dec 5, 2019
    I remember being all optimistic the day Bohn was announced..... now I hate that day

14. uscvball

uscvball Junior Member

Dec 5, 2019
    I got you...^^^.

It could read that way but I got what you meant.

15. Arhedge

Arhedge Junior Member

Dec 5, 2019
    That's correct. Somebody let Cousin Eddie know.

dp4life, DJ4SC and CP619 like this.