Musings from Arledge: Kicking Deep, Papering Over Problems, and Time to Act

Discussion in 'GarryP's Trojan Huddle' started by ErikMcKinney, Nov 4, 2019.

1. Arhedge

Arhedge Junior Member

Nov 4, 2019
    Here’s where my numbers come from, although they are now updated to include the Oregon game. It now shows 25 kickoffs being returned and 26 touchbacks. https://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fbs/current/team/463/p3

Taking the number of touchbacks before the Oregon game, and the number of individual tackles attributed to Stadthaus, I got four tackles on 22 returned kicks. It’s possible the numbers are wrong, because I don’t calculate them, but I suspect they’re not.

2. GoSC27!

GoSC27! Points Member

Nov 4, 2019
    Not sure if you read Helton Sunday's media call. "I have total trust in Baxter," Helton's quote. Still doesn't get it. "Neil Callaway one of the finest Oline coaches in the nation."
    And as far as Helton supporters I only count 2 that consistently post ridiculous threads on this board Conquest81 and USCsway.
    Fight On!

3. JMac

JMac Points Member

Nov 4, 2019
    Unfortunately, they did on Saturday night, and got thrown out of the game.

gubo&palanka likes this.
  4. Rodgarnay51

Rodgarnay51 Junior Member

Nov 4, 2019
    I tried to hold out as long as I could. Now I have absolutely NO reason to support Helton being the head coach at USC. Saturday was the last straw, and that kickoff sealed it.

KiwiSCfan, gubo&palanka and DJ4SC like this.
  5. DJ4SC

DJ4SC Junior Member

Nov 4, 2019

And what exactly did Oregon win during that time?

If you understood the culture here you’d know why we have never gone after top coaches but once in the last 100 years.
    We don’t need an uncle Phil to carry our sorry asses.

AZUSCfan, PickSicx and gubo&palanka like this.
  6. Trojanopolis

Trojanopolis Junior Member

Nov 4, 2019
    Well...why can't Oregon win a National Championship? Why do you always bottle it when you get the rare opportunity to do so? Coaching? Lack of a real tradition?

gubo&palanka likes this.
  7. Boselli

Boselli Junior Member

Nov 4, 2019
    "There are games that strip away all the illusions and leave you with cold, hard reality. Oregon was just such a game. You cannot watch that game and believe in the fantasy that this program is on the right track."

A presupposition tactically placed.

Rodgarnay51 likes this.
  8. gubo&palanka

gubo&palanka Points Member

WeAreSc Member
    Nov 4, 2019
    I was wondering what some of these replies were. Then I remembered I "ignored" Lyn the Fuck. I can't see her posts. Only your replies. You should just put her on ignore.

Peete2Affholter likes this.
  9. BOULDER TO BIRMINGHAM

BOULDER TO BIRMINGHAM Junior Member

Nov 4, 2019
    If you have to ask if Helton is an idiot, then you must be a MORON!

10. BOULDER TO BIRMINGHAM

BOULDER TO BIRMINGHAM Junior Member

Nov 4, 2019
    Great article Chris. The erosion under Helton really became evident the year we got our ass handed to us in the Cotton Bowl. That team was supposed to be a playoff contender, yet it struggled vs. average teams and got blown out by elite ones.
    Helton is so overmatched it is truly pathetic to watch. He has done enormous damage to the USC brand.

AZUSCfan likes this.
  11. Troy70

Troy70 Junior Member

Nov 4, 2019
    Will Folt save us or saddle SC with more poor football?

12. KiwiSCfan

KiwiSCfan Points Member

Nov 5, 2019
    Great read Arhedge, thank you. In a perverse way it is cathartic- reading the thoughts of others that sum up yours so well.
    There’s no better example of your “Clay is unable to take action to correct obvious mistakes” message than from the man himself on his Sunday night media call; said “I’d do it again” when asked about ‘The Kick’. No printable words could ever attempt to logically defend that.

13. Yale

Yale Points Member

Nov 5, 2019
    I doubt sc will get anything right concerning AD or new coach...the board chose a person fired for cause , who probably thinks hellton should stay or get a clone or a female head coach.
    sc will never hire a real AD to improve sports and football in particular...look at their track record .

14. User1234

User1234 Junior Member

Nov 5, 2019
    I was far too F'ing pissed off to reply right away. But after reviewing all the stats and contemplating the universe for a couple days, I say FIRE THE MF'r RIGHT F'ing NOW. Interim coach Drevno and then let the URBAN RENEWAL begin and let him decide on all aspects of the program. Saddle him with nothing and with no holdovers unless he wants a couple [Drevno/Burns, maybe?][or not]
    DO IT NOW - don't even wait until tomorrow.

GoSC1 and Cyrus like this.
  15. 1969Trojan

1969Trojan Junior Member

Nov 5, 2019
    Excellent article by Chris Arledge. As someone has already said, it is brutally honest. It basically summarizes the pathetic situation USC football is in. According to the laws of nature a chaotic situation would get worse and worse until it is stopped or reversed. Unfortunately the last three ADs have made extremely poor decisions regarding the hiring, firing, and contract extension of coaches. This has put the football program in an spiraling decline. One of the ADs, after hiring the one he later fired, said that by that hiring" he has made a home run. " He also let go of Coach O and picked the current coach. Look where Coach O is taking LSU to! Chris is right in stating the fact that Oregon team is not a cat's mew. It's probably an above average team, which would likely lose to Utah. In the weak Pac12 Utah seems the best team. Losing to a team by a score of 56-24 at your own field is an indication that the ship is sinking and it has to be rescued.

16. Lyn the Duck

Lyn the Duck Junior Member

Nov 5, 2019
    It seems like Mckay, Robinson, and Carroll were not considered great coaches. Perhaps I don't understand the culture at USC.

17. Lyn the Duck

Lyn the Duck Junior Member

Nov 5, 2019
    34 game win streak. 15 years ago.

that was the last time you were respectable, even with all those incredible recruiting classes. Don't feel bad. Nebraska used to be pretty good too. So did Army.

18. Cyrus

Cyrus Junior Member

Nov 5, 2019
    They were not considered great coaches at the time they were hired. The only time we tried to hire elite coaches was in 1925 when we went after Rockne and then Jones.

19. Arhedge

Arhedge Junior Member

Nov 5, 2019
    Yep. But not Oregon.

User1234 and Cyrus like this.