Musings from Arledge: Championships at USC, an OL coach, and Ted Lasso

Discussion in 'GarryP's Trojan Huddle' started by ErikMcKinney, Jan 13, 2021.

2. Gentlemen we're behind

Gentlemen we're behind Active Member

Jan 13, 2021
    Hey Coach Helton, can you evaluate this bowl of cherries?

3. zitorocks

zitorocks Junior Member

Jan 13, 2021
    Great article Chris. I cannot express the emotions elicited by Helton's comments that every coach is measured and evaluated on his performance each year and winning championships. Other coaches are getting canned for not accomplishing the measures that Helton says are the measuring stick. So when does he get held accountable for not meeting the standards? Is he being fined? Is his pay decreasing? Is he getting put in a corner with a dunce hat? What are the consequences for his failure to meet the standards set for a successful head coach, by his own definition? I mean, if I were not meeting the standards of my job, year after year, I would resign...so that I could find something I would be successful.

Pheeze, BESCFAN, OC2SC and 7 others like this.
  4. ATR32

ATR32 Junior Member

Jan 13, 2021
    Helton just regurgitates the same shit, over and over and over. Nothing new.

BESCFAN, OC2SC, Cardinal&Gold and 2 others like this.
  5. Dartmouth

Dartmouth Points Member

Jan 13, 2021
    There are no personal consequences, he has an GUARANTEED contract! he need only watch his steps/keep his nose clean. Expensive buy-outs or buyouts period should be done away with; lets go back to the days of ANNUAL CONTRACTS even if you just won a championship.

We are so disconnected from reality that it's all become a sick joke, we are all sick jokes!
    What is Helton, Saban,etc,etc doing to enhance the trajectory of humanity? will they help reverse global warming by discovering a new fuel/energy source? Teach our first grade kids the art of learning?
    NO! NO! NO!
    So while he who is trying to turn seaweed into energy struggles for funding/to put food on the table, we bless entertainers with mega riches.
    CEO's making millions while those who really make the products make a very small fraction.

Something is wrong in our collective UP-STAIRS people, something is wrong,,,

6. Rigged4fun

Rigged4fun Member

Jan 13, 2021
    I agree with most of the criticism of Helton, however I think it's falling on deaf ears. Let's face it, outside of this board and others a majority of fans are not that involved in the discussions online. Once again it's up to the school administration to forge a new march to upright the athletic program. As long as there's no enthusiasm from the administration to right the ship. Sad but true.

gubo&palanka likes this.
  7. Troy70

Troy70 Junior Member

Jan 13, 2021
    Live in Trojan neighborhood & nobody going to Coli, long time season ticket holders have given up

8. PickSicx

PickSicx Junior Member

Jan 13, 2021
    ^^ This ^^

As I read those quotes, what stands out most is how little he says. His lips are moving and sound seems to be filling the air, but what is he really saying? It's just hot gas, platitudes, verbal filler and empty sentiment. Inarticulate, vague and obscure—the guy has all the communication skills of a soap dish. THIS is the voice of our program? This is the person responsible for articulating our preferred future? Beyond the fact that he utterly sucks in program management, game preparation, player development, and in-game decision making, it's absolutely shocking how inarticulate he is.

After he speaks, you are left with a vacuum: his attempts to "communicate" actually leave you knowing less afterward than you did before. I shouldn't feel 25% dumber after a press conference, but that's the Helton effect.

Someone needs to stand behind him with a thick broom stick and every time he utters the banal phrase, "To be honest with ya . . .", they should reach back like frickin' Babe Ruth and thwack him upside the head, about an inch above his earhole, as hard as they humanly can. Is that his confession that the rest of the time he speaks, he's lying? When he adds the "honest with ya" qualifier, he's admitting that he's fundamentally deceptive and fraudulent. That's our head coach: a fraud.

9. Cardinal&Gold

Cardinal&Gold Junior Member

Jan 13, 2021
    BRAVO Mr. ZITO.. this is Your best post yet.

Man I just want to wake up on Saturday's again and feel like the win is almost automatic and they're just working on a high seed for the playoffs. Honestly, In this weak Pac 12 conference USC should be like Clemson 2.0. Think about it (Oregon won the conference with zero offense) USC should be 11-1 or 12-0 every year but unfortunately it hasn't been that way for a long time and It sickens me.

I just want the program to turn the page. Helton took over in 2015 and he's still talking about trending upwards? He should be embarrassed saying those words. Knowing he's had half a decade to arrive. Most head coaches are expected to peak in year 3. Clay Helton is starting year 6 and he's still rebuilding? Really..

Last edited: Jan 13, 2021
    PickSicx, OC2SC, AMLTrojan and 2 others like this.
  10. in2nation

in2nation Junior Member

Jan 13, 2021
    I can’t believe that he is documented as saying the same thing twice over and over again. Someone above said he talks and talks and really says nothing. So true! One of my jobs is addressing large groups, and this tactic is just stalling. I guess he’s stalling until November. Then we’ll be great!

Cardinal&Gold likes this.
  11. Cardinal&Gold

Cardinal&Gold Junior Member

Jan 13, 2021
    Alicia deArtola mentions this as a tactic Clay Helton uses to justify his failure. The "we're close" defense.

AKA:
    Dangle the carrot in front of the Trojan Horse

The perfect metaphor. In this video use your imagination.

1. The rider is Clay Helton.

2. The horse is the program (Mike Bohn, Carol Folt, fans)

3. The Carrot represents Helton's promises.

4. The laughing represents how other college football programs view USC's current coaching situation.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2021
    TroyWill, zitorocks and AMLTrojan like this.
  12. BigRex

BigRex Points Member

Jan 13, 2021
    I understand the disgust with the current situation, but doesn't every coach say the same thing--that all that matters is winning championships? By that standard, 99% of them are failing each year.

13. Dartmouth

Dartmouth Points Member

Jan 13, 2021
    Hire the guy from the GONG SHOW and when he's done with Helton send him to DC and the Windy City and,,,

14. PacTrojan

PacTrojan Junior Member

Jan 13, 2021
    Ted Lasso is the best sports comedy in a long time.

15. Dartmouth

Dartmouth Points Member

Jan 13, 2021
    99.9% or more fail! in basketball there's NIT and the one Duke seems to win regularly.
    I recall Buffalo finishing second for what seem like 100 years, many called for the head coach to be hung.
    Followers can be a tough bunch! remember the soccer killings?

16. Gilesmiles

Gilesmiles Junior Member

Jan 13, 2021
    Too funny - a liberal political tirade about global warming and communism on a college football thread. Dartmouth maybe you should send a huge contribution to Greta Thunberg so you can feel better about your world

17. KeenObserver

KeenObserver Junior Member

Jan 13, 2021
    That's it. Not only has Clay plundered USC into permanent mediocrity, he is now part of destroying the Earth.

Not only does he look like a fat Lex Luthor, he is a fat Lex Luthor.