Mens volleyball

Discussion in 'Other USC Sports' started by Ricky Bell 42, Jan 12, 2017.

1. Mens volleyball
    Ricky Bell 42

Ricky Bell 42 Junior Member

Jan 12, 2017
    Big win against CSULB. I think Jeff will turn this thing around

2. FIGHTON!

FIGHTON! Junior Member

Jan 12, 2017
    They also played well at Ohio State/ Penn State tournament. Always thought that our VB team should always be a top 5 program. Got used to it when I was in school in the eighties.

?Fight On! Beat the Broncos!

3. fansincearnett

fansincearnett Junior Member

Jan 12, 2017
    Watched part of the match on TV. Probably no more than a hundred people in the stands.

4. uscvball

uscvball Junior Member

Feb 17, 2017
    Lucas Yoder had 15 kills and Woody Cook added 10 kills and 5 digs to lead the unranked USC men's volleyball team to a 25-19, 25-20, 25-23 upset sweep over No. 6 Stanford in a Mountain Pacific Sports Federation match on Thursday (Feb. 16) at USC's Galen Center.

We also had upset wins over Irvine and Long Beach St. Ultimately though, this season has been a failure so far. I don't know what it's going to take but I think this coach isn't the one.

5. Ricky Bell 42

Feb 21, 2017
    I will disagree on this one. We have a top level coaching staff. Nygaarz Sato and Hollenbeck are all top notch coaches. There might be a couple of issues that might be hard to overcome though.

1st.issue is being a private school that is expensive. Like Pepperdine, the tuition is high, so it is hard to get some players in with only 4.5 schollies available.

2nd issue is that USC has a reputation on,their volleyball team as a party school. This has been a fairly long,term issue. Can Nygaard control this? Not sure. Most players are not on scholarship, so what is your prions in disciplining. Early on in the season, Yoder probably should have been benched because of a couple of incidents, but he is basically the only high level player usc has right,now.

6. Ricky Bell 42

Feb 23, 2017
    Those were the days with Tim Hovland, Dvorak, Pat Powers Brian Ivie etc.

7. uscvball

uscvball Junior Member

Feb 23, 2017
    We're playing LBS tomorrow at 7 at The Pyramid and the Pac 12 network is showing gymnastics and women's basketball. State is ranked #4 in the country, coming off an ass whipping of the bruins at Pauley. I think the only way to watch may be live streaming.

If anyone watches, TJ DeFalco out of HBHS is ridiculous.

8. Ricky Bell 42

Feb 24, 2017
    LBSU had a great class last year with Ensing, De Falco and Tuinaga. Hoping my son gets an offer from them.

9. uscvball

uscvball Junior Member

Feb 24, 2017
    That's awesome! I hope he gets that offer too! Keep us posted.

10. Ricky Bell 42

Apr 3, 2017
    We are in the MPSF tournament. We can be anywhere from a 6th to 8th place. If we.get.to 6th, we have a shot at winning. I don't think we could beat.lb or BYU.

11. SouthbayTrojan91

SouthbayTrojan91 Junior Member

Apr 3, 2017
    I really don't understand the motivation or goal of the scholarship restrictions put in place. It has killed many of our once dominant sports. Sure it has created more parity but to the benefit of who?

Now instead of getting an education at USC these same kids will be going to a lesser academic school and graduate with fewer opportunities. How was that helpful?

12. uscvball

uscvball Junior Member

Apr 4, 2017
    I thought we needed one more win to clinch a berth. Unless you are suggesting that Cal Baptist is in the bag?

13. Ricky Bell 42

Apr 5, 2017
    Ucsb plays byu, no way they win, also we win heads up against ucsb. Btw, I am now rooting for cal baptist.

14. SouthbayTrojan91

SouthbayTrojan91 Junior Member

Apr 6, 2017
    uscvball
    I don't really understand how Title IX works. Would there be more scholarships available for Men's Volleyball and Baseball if another women's sport was added?
    Is it about balancing the total # of on-scholarship athletes between men and women?

I don't recall an increase when Lacrosse was added, so I suspect that is not the case.

So, if not the case, why did Title IX result in a decrease in men's sports scholarships available?

15. uscvball

uscvball Junior Member

Apr 6, 2017
    It's about proportion.

As it applies to athletics: Athletics programs are considered educational programs and activities. There are three basic parts of Title IX as it applies to athletics:
    1. Participation: Title IX requires that women and men be provided equitable opportunities to participate in sports. Title IX does not require institutions to offer identical sports but an equal opportunity to play;
    2. Scholarships: Title IX requires that female and male student-athletes receive athletics scholarship dollars proportional to their participation; and
    3. Other benefits: Title IX requires the equal treatment of female and male student-athletes in the provisions of: (a) equipment and supplies; (b) scheduling of games and practice times; (c) travel and daily allowance/per diem; (d) access to tutoring; (e) coaching, (f) locker rooms, practice and competitive facilities; (g) medical and training facilities and services; (h) housing and dining facilities and services; (i) publicity and promotions; (j) support services and (k) recruitment of student-athletes.
    In order to be in compliance:
    • For participation requirements, institutions officials must meet one of the following three tests. An institution may:
      1. Provide participation opportunities for women and men that are substantially proportionate to their respective rates of enrollment of full-time undergraduate students;
      2. Demonstrate a history and continuing practice of program expansion for the underrepresented sex;
      3. Fully and effectively accommodate the interests and abilities of the underrepresented sex; and,
    • Female and male student-athletes must receive athletics scholarship dollars proportional to their participation; and,
    • Equal treatment of female and male student-athletes in the eleven provisions as mentioned above.
    Also keep in mind that most of the minor sports are considered differently than football and basketball and I think women's volleyball in that they essentially get a pool of money that can be divided by player as a coach sees fit. For women, most coaches will likely identify 1 or maybe 2 marquis players who get full rides and split the rest among other players. The purposely seek out female athletes who are strong academic performers in the hopes of closing the financial gap with academic scholarships. As a result, the women coming in to college to play are mostly the cream of the crop academically.

For example, there are so many girls competing in soccer in Southern CA, it's pretty well known that unless you are ODP, Academy, ECNL, and/or play for the Blues, the ONLY way you are getting into college to play soccer is if you are a 4.0 or better type student.

Here are some numbers to consider.
    http://www.scholarshipstats.com/average-per-athlete.html

16. uscvball

uscvball Junior Member

Apr 6, 2017
    It's easy to lay all the blame on Title IX. But that argument doesn't take in to account the NCAA's bylaws on scholarship limitations. To me, that is the real culprit.

Title IX had nothing to do with that and didn't mandate it. This chart is a few years old so it may have changed a bit but it's accurate for the most part. And it has nothing to do with Title IX. Men on the left, Women on the right.

These are how many scholarships (full and partial) that an FBS college can offer. [TABLE]
    [TR]
    [/TR]
    [TR="class: last"]
    [TD]Baseball/softball[/TD]
    [TD]11.7[/TD]
    [TD]12[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TD]Basketball[/TD]
    [TD]13[/TD]
    [TD]15[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TD]Bowling[/TD]
    [TD]0[/TD]
    [TD]5[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TD]Equestrian[/TD]
    [TD]0[/TD]
    [TD]15[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TD]Fencing[/TD]
    [TD]4.5[/TD]
    [TD]5[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TD]Field hockey[/TD]
    [TD]0[/TD]
    [TD]12[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TD]Football[/TD]
    [TD]85[/TD]
    [TD]0[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TD]Golf[/TD]
    [TD]4.5[/TD]
    [TD]6[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TD]Gymnastics[/TD]
    [TD]6.3[/TD]
    [TD]12[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TD]Ice hockey[/TD]
    [TD]18[/TD]
    [TD]18[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TD]Lacrosse[/TD]
    [TD]12.6[/TD]
    [TD]12[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TD]Rifle[/TD]
    [TD]3.6[/TD]
    [TD]0[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TD]Rowing[/TD]
    [TD]0[/TD]
    [TD]20[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TD]Rugby[/TD]
    [TD]0[/TD]
    [TD]12[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TD]Sand volleyball[/TD]
    [TD]0[/TD]
    [TD]3*[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TD]Skiing[/TD]
    [TD]6.3[/TD]
    [TD]7[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TD]Soccer[/TD]
    [TD]9.9[/TD]
    [TD]14[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TD]Swimming/diving[/TD]
    [TD]9.9[/TD]
    [TD]14[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TD]Tennis[/TD]
    [TD]4.5[/TD]
    [TD]8[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TD]Track and field/
    cross-country[/TD]
    [TD]12.6[/TD]
    [TD]18[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TD]Volleyball[/TD]
    [TD]4.5[/TD]
    [TD]12[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TD]Water polo[/TD]
    [TD]4.5[/TD]
    [TD]8[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TD]Wrestling[/TD]
    [TD]9.9[/TD]
    [TD]0[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]

17. norcalsurfer408

norcalsurfer408 Junior Member

Apr 7, 2017
    MPSF bound. interestingly they'll play Cal Baptist again, this time on Saturday at 7 PM