McKay would ride Stepp

Discussion in 'GarryP's Trojan Huddle' started by Troy70, Oct 13, 2019.

2. Butcher22

Butcher22 Junior Member

Oct 13, 2019
    Yep. First time I saw him carry the ball I said that's the guy! Big man with great feet, good speed. I would give him 25 to 30 carries a game.

gubo&palanka, TrojanDrive and GoSC1 like this.
  3. GoSC1

GoSC1 Junior Member

Oct 13, 2019
    Stepp should be the primary RB from here on out. Hell, ND couldn’t tackle him. If they can’t, no one left on our schedule will

gubo&palanka and dp4life like this.
  4. TrojanDrive

TrojanDrive Junior Member

Oct 13, 2019
    It's been evident for weeks that Steppe should be the primary RB but the coaches are still holding on to Malepeai & Carr as primary options. It makes no sense why coaches waited until so late in the game to figure out Steppe should be the primary option.

Malepeai runs hard but isn't particularly explosive or physical. Carr, for all his touted speed, hardly breaks long runs. He seems to run sideways and goes down easily.

Neither of these two guys has the size and power to put fear in the opposing D's hence why teams are content to rush 3 then have 8 sit back in pass coverage. The D's are daring us to throw into loaded pass coverage.

Steppe has size and power that is in the mold of a Lendale White type RB.

As soon as Steppe is on the field, the D is forced to address the threat of him running. If D only rushes 3, he will run wild all day. Once D is forced to respect the run then the pass coverage softens up for Pittman, Vaughns, St. Brown as it did in the late 3rd quarter and 4th quarter.

We lost this game in the 1st half with the ineptness of Harrell's tactics which resulted in a pathetic 3 points despite being at mid field quite a few times.

gubo&palanka likes this.
  5. Cyrus

Cyrus Junior Member

Oct 13, 2019
    Mckay would give the ball repeatedly to Stepp, so would JRob and PC. Even Hackett will probably do it. This should be done especially if they drop 8 in coverage as teams are now doing against us. Despite the stubbornness of our coaches I think we will see more of him in upcoming games.

His threat as a runner will help the passing game too. The long TD pass to Amon Ra was a play action to Stepp.

6. PVtrojan

PVtrojan Points Member

Oct 13, 2019
    You are right my friend, but today, John's OL would be well coached and would open up holes for his power backs time and again. Helton and staff are Mid America hacks. Must move them on! Or we'll see more of the same.

gubo&palanka and TrojanDrive like this.
  7. TroyBoy

TroyBoy Junior Member

Oct 13, 2019
    The notion that one has to be some sort of coaching legend to see what we have in Stepp is laughable!

It was obvious last year vs. ND when he got into the game.late. It was obvious in Spring! It's obvious to anyone with half a brain and eyes! It's just not obvious to our stupid coaching staff!

Carr should be in utilized as a 2nd back/ slot receiver running in motion to give us an edge threat and then cutting across the middle, being a tunnel screen option and occasionally flying down the seam just like Oklahoma uses CD Lamm and how ND used their speed receiver who broke the long TD. Not saying Carr is as dynamic as Lamm or as fast as the ND kid; I'm saying that's where he'd best help this team .. getting the ball one on one in the open field. It ain't rocket science!

W e need to keep defenses guessing. Instead, we make it easy on them! We utilize little to no dexeption/ optionality! It's pathetic!

Last edited: Oct 13, 2019
  8. PVtrojan

PVtrojan Points Member

Oct 13, 2019
    You are all absolutely right about Stepp. . Its a glaring example of how SC's staff cant make fundamental decisions on the strength of their team's personnel. Giving Stepp the ball 25 times and hoping the OL blocked correctly, could have changed the outcome of the ND game. Sadly, Helton doesn't see the obvious. He's floating up and down the sidelines doing ??

9. RDTK

RDTK Points Member

Oct 13, 2019
    These always make me laugh. So much has changed in last 40+ years, guess you havent been paying attention.

10. PVtrojan

PVtrojan Points Member

Oct 13, 2019
    One could point to Helton's decision not to maximize the use of Stepp in the Notre Dame game is a clear example of Helton's incompetency and a reason for his firing. All of you made the case above in spades. Helton and his hacks "will look at tape" and we may see little or no change. Incompetency at this storied National Power is truly hard to stomach.

11. OrangeBill

OrangeBill Points Member

Oct 13, 2019
    I agree with all of the above. Stepp also offers a real boon to our passing game--meaning play-action. When Slovis motioned than it was a give to Stepp the DL slowed their rush and moved toward him and the LBs came up too. This also tends to negate the two-deep safety look. Finally, while I have no way of actually confirming this, I suspect that our OL is more confident knowing that if they can just lock up someone for second Stepp will be able to push the pile and/or drag for 4-5 yards.

In addition to giving him 10-15 additional carries, why doesn't Harrell run more against the three man front? Why is he so formulaic with one-run, two-pass?

And what was that bone-headed call for a sweep to the edge by Stepp that ND gobbled up? Stepp is an interior, between the tackles basher and bruiser who can also break through the line for 30-40 yards. Don't ask him to do something against his skill set.

To everyone with reasonable vision, Stepp is outperforming the others and better compliments the rest of the offense. Why are Helton-and Harrell so stubborn to acknowledge this and respond accordingly? Why is it so necessary to rotate the RBs every two plays? In camp, Harrell claimed that he would be quickly rotating WRs but that has not happened. And for good reason. Clearly Pittman, St. Brown and Vaughns are ahead of the others. It has become equally clear that Stepp has "stepped" (sorry, I couldn't resist) to the front and should be rewarded.

TrojanDrive and LucGomez40 like this.
  12. LucGomez40

LucGomez40 Junior Member

Oct 13, 2019
    Great points PV! It makes me sick to my stomach that Stepp is not the starting back with Vavae and Carr as change of pace.

gubo&palanka and TrojanDrive like this.
  13. Oldschoolrock

Oldschoolrock Junior Member

Oct 13, 2019
    Actually a tweeker could figure it out, no brainers would start him too....

14. BigGuard

BigGuard Junior Member

Oct 13, 2019
    Stepp is a game changer. In my time as an SC fan I’ve never seen a back with his skill set. He has the power of LenDale White and the pure drive and aggressive recklessness of Justin Fargas.

He’s the kind of power backs I’d see at Wisconsin or Alabama and imagine what SC would do with them. Sadly, I’ve learned they’ll languish.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2019
    gubo&palanka likes this.
  15. BOULDER TO BIRMINGHAM

BOULDER TO BIRMINGHAM Junior Member

Oct 13, 2019
    Helton foolishlessly redshirted Stepp last year. His last season as a Trojan player will be 2020. One of several examples of how stupid and incompetent Clay is.He would rather play an upperclassmen, who has "waited" his turn, and not the best player. Our nightmare may be over soon.

gubo&palanka and Troy70 like this.
  16. Coeur

Coeur Points Member

Oct 13, 2019
    Nobody is giving any credit to worn down defenders from 29 and 7 but def yes steppe should be the primary back.

But all 3 of these guys should be being used heavily. They really need to figure out how to use 2 of them together. Carr into the passing game. VM as well. And as a Full back.

17. gubo&palanka

gubo&palanka Points Member

WeAreSc Member
    Oct 13, 2019
    With some imagination and coaching acumen (and I question if the staff has it) that should not be a big problem.

As an astute poster mentioned above, for example, Carr could be the 2nd back and be a threat for the jet sweep.

18. Gr8ythunter

Gr8ythunter Junior Member

Oct 13, 2019
    Well, you should tell Helton this then, .... because Helton sees this the same as Stevie Wonder

(no disrespect to Stevie, I like his tunes)

gubo&palanka likes this.
  19. AnArchitect

AnArchitect Points Member

Oct 13, 2019
    Well, it ain't heavy, and he ain't in a union.

So why not?