Marjorie Taylor Greene and the Science of Gender

Discussion in 'MKJ Off-Topic' started by SLCTrojan, Mar 1, 2021.

1. Marjorie Taylor Greene and the Science of Gender
    SLCTrojan

SLCTrojan Junior Member

Mar 1, 2021
    Marjorie Taylor Greene and the Science of Gender - or, more accurately, how "journalists" handle this topic.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/balancing-act-marjorie-taylor-greene-090000809.html

(Fascinating article, worth the 5 minutes it will take to read.)

This is a good representation of what I see a TON of that passes for journalism. It is 'reported' with the perspective already formed that Gender Fluidity is real, and as such scientifically demonstrable. Sources, facts, and quotes are handpicked (likely from a single Google search) to support the premise. This is NOT reporting. It's a high-school research paper.

Take a glance at this article. It uses a simple sleight-of-hand method to demonstrate that something is 'scientific' - quoting the opinion of science-ey folks as though they are results. The first source they quote, you'll notice, is a Doctoral Candidate. Seriously. "Here's a person who's going to College - so she knows..."

More legitimately, this opinion piece pulls quotes from the Cleveland Clinic, the Mayo Clinic, and the American Academy of Pediatrics, all saying that Gender lies along a spectrum. Great. So what is the actual 'science' we're discussing here?

Are there XX and XY Chromosomes? Are there clearly defined genitals in 99.9% of cases? Are there two sexes required to reproduce?

I get the argument that says that Gender has nothing to do with sex, but it's neutralized when you make the Gender argument, and then apply it to clear sexual characteristics (like saying "women and other people who menstruate", or in athletic competition).

I think there may be a scientific counter argument to Marjorie Taylor Greene's assertion. This just isn't it. I'm not sure how 'articles' like this get published.

-SLC

(P.S. - this same complaint applies to every article I've read so far with a headline like 'the $15 minimum wage is actually good for the economy'.)

CrownoftheValley likes this.

2. SouthbayTrojan91

SouthbayTrojan91 Junior Member

Mar 1, 2021
    Not sure if the internet is to blame, but journalism is not what it used to be.
    The "truth" is now considered a POV. e.g. "your perception of the truth" does not have to be supported by the actual facts.

SCBIGTIME, SLCTrojan and DaFireMedic like this.
  3. TheRealAirbns

TheRealAirbns Junior Member

Mar 1, 2021
    Frankly, on this particular subject, the Right is as annoying as the Left is on immigration. The Left continually ignores the difference between legal and illegal immigration, because it's politically expedient for them to do so. The Right (and often, the Left, too) continually ignores the difference between sex and gender.

Sex has to do with which bits and which chromosomes you have. Gender has to do with psychological identity and a psychological classification (when referring to people).

Neutralized? Well, why do we let them?

The problem with the Left and sports and bathrooms, is that they want to force us to imagine that someone's gender identity somehow magically transforms their sex, too. It doesn't. Faking it might be courteous to the psychological gender dysphoria of those who've chosen to be fluid on the subject, but sometimes, it runs smack into doing a disservice to the well-being of the public, as a whole. As it does in women's sports, and forcing teenage girls to accept biological males in their locker rooms and bathrooms.

This disservice to the public is especially significant when we consider that gender identity is also separate from sexual preference. Caitlyn Jenner, for instance, kept his male anatomy, and still prefers women, sexually. In other words, a perv wearing a dress and calling himself "Daisy" isn't any less of a perv. Nor is he/she any less physically powerful or physically intimidating, even if he/she doesn't decide to engage in some kind of assault.

This issue is compounded by the relatively high rates of mental illness among the transgender community. The attempted suicide rate, alone, for example, is ridiculously high - somewhere around fifty percent.

Gender is, in fact, fluid. To some degree, so is sexual preference (sorry, gay community). Why? Because they're both either wholly or partly psychologically based, and as we've seen, minds are malleable things. That malleability is how the CIA stays in business - manipulation, brainwashing, etc..

Biology and fluidity? Not so much.

As for the article, it's heavily slanted to the Left, which is to be expected from an article coming from the Chicago Tribune and Yahoo. But regardless of its slant, both MTG and her political opponent, Marie Newman, are guilty of mislabeling, either out of ignorance, or for political purposes.

4. SLCTrojan

SLCTrojan Junior Member

Mar 1, 2021
    TRA,

Great response. Thank you for taking the time.

Your argument hinges on one assertion, though - and that is that there actually is a difference between Gender and Sex.

Up until very recently, those two words were accepted to be synonyms. 20 years ago, it was only academics trying to get published who asserted a different definition for Gender. Now that difference has come to dominate, but there's still a question as to whether this new definition is valid.

I don't have a strong opinion on the difference in language one way or the other, except to say that establishing Gender Fluidity shouldn't be applied to Sexual Fluidity (a point on which we agree). To do otherwise is a logic fallacy.

-SLC

5. old scotty

old scotty Junior Member

Mar 1, 2021
    That has been true for thieving demorats and commies for my entire lifetime, long before the internet.

6. Troianus Acies

Troianus Acies Junior Member

Mar 1, 2021
    In the final analysis...it IS all about politics. If either party thought that they could engage and enlist autonomous robots to support their political (power and money) agenda, they would change the definition of a robot into a "gender neutral, cis constructed citizen" licensed to vote.

DaFireMedic likes this.
  7. TheRealAirbns

TheRealAirbns Junior Member

Mar 1, 2021
    According to the Online Etymology Dictionary, the word had its origin c. 1300, from Latin through Old French, and meant "kind, sort, class, a class or kind of persons or things sharing certain traits,"

It took on its grammatical sense (as in gender of nouns) in the late 14th century, and its "male-or-female sex" sense in English from the early 15c. It took on the current meaning with regard to social attributes beginning in 1963, in feminist writing.

Personally, I don't have any problem with the current usage to differentiate between physical and psychological attributes. The current usage is consistent with its original meaning, and it provides clarification with regard to two different modern concepts. At the same time, it allows for differentiation between them at a time when differentiation is necessary.

https://www.etymonline.com/word/gender

Well, academics have an interest in being more precise, while street language allows for more sloppiness. Not that sloppiness is wrong, it's just that it's only acceptable as long as the meaning is still clear for everyone involved.

8. fssca51

fssca51 Junior Member

WeAreSc Member
    Mar 1, 2021
    I'm a simple man . It all used to be so clear to me......... There were boys and there were girls ... but now we have whaaaaat ??? I'm so confused . I don't care what everybody else does; I'm not going along with this different gender BS. , I'm sticking with the ones I grew up with . Just males and females ... that's it :)

Last edited: Mar 1, 2021
  9. SoCalN8tiv

SoCalN8tiv Junior Member

Mar 1, 2021
    Blowhard academics are all full of shit. I'll take the street language over their shit any day of the week.

Troianus Acies likes this.
  10. SLCTrojan

SLCTrojan Junior Member

Mar 2, 2021
    Lawyers have an interest in being more precise. Engineers have an interest in being more precise. Academics have an interest in being published.

-SLC

11. Troianus Acies

Mar 2, 2021

You will be rewarded in heaven for your sage, common sense reply to all the world wide idiots that cannot distinguish the difference between a penis and a vagina at birth (with the exception of hermaphrodites). On the other hand...those same idiots will claim science supports their whatever sex you want to be agenda based on dictionary of left wing radical bullshit and a small minority of mentally confused humans regarding their sex at birth.

Will the radical nitwits now come up with fill in the blanks birth certificates in 57 varieties?

MALE: Boy, man, creates sperm for reproduction, cannot breast feed infants, has different chromosomes and musculature, was assigned the proper sex at birth....little sausage = Boy..., little bun = girl..., sausage and bun or part sausage and part bun = Hermaphrodite..., all of the other 54 sex identifiers = mental problems, hormonal problems , social problems, or a combination of all three.

LaissezFaire28thStUSC likes this.
  12. Troianus Acies

Mar 2, 2021
    "There"... is the heart of the problem...God Bless the truth bringers and dammit to hell for all the pseudo academics..

fssca51 likes this.
  13. fssca51

fssca51 Junior Member

WeAreSc Member
    Mar 2, 2021
    Sage observation.

14. fssca51

fssca51 Junior Member

WeAreSc Member
    Mar 2, 2021
    Thank you for those kind words. We oldsters can laugh at all the craziness but IMO it is cruel and demoralizing to expose children to questions about their identity. Children need to have certainty and stability in their lives. They need to be helped to overcome their fears and have confidence in themselves; to know that they are as good as the next kid. Parents who are activists in this nuttiness are laying the groundwork for serious mental disturbance in their child's life by making their kids feel "different". . Sixty years ago there was little or no public dialog about sex identity issues . If there were such issues they would be handled discretely and privately to avoid embarrassment. Today the public seems to actively promote tinkering with the sexuality of the individual like it was nothing more than deciding which side you part your hair on. It's wrong.

15. Troianus Acies

Mar 3, 2021

There was a T.V. show that is living proof of everything you have stated in your post and more regarding complicit liberal left radical parents. It was called "I am Jazz". A friend asked me to watch a few episodes so I could see what the idiots of the world were doing to very young children. After a few episodes I could handle no more.

That poor individual is one screwed up pile of human flesh after failed expectations of being a hot semi adult female. Then there is operation after operation to change his genitalia along with multiple visits to the shrink and lifelong medication to maintain a female look. All this crap started when the boy was "5-6" years old! He was even interviewed about his transgenderism when he was SIX years old by Barbara Walters!

This kids parents promoted this change from way to early an age and all the worse ramifications associated with this boy made girl are now coming home to roost in the future of this now young adult individual.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2021
    901 Club, fansincemckay and fssca51 like this.
  16. fssca51

fssca51 Junior Member

WeAreSc Member
    Mar 3, 2021
    What were those parents thinking ?? It's a very sad story and it's multiplied many times over by others who have fallen into the same trap. We can all learn from these horror stories. The world is a difficult place for teen agers as it is. With all the pressures on them , parents must empathize with them and do what they can to ease the strains and stresses , not add to them.

Troianus Acies likes this.
  17. Troianus Acies

Mar 3, 2021
    No truer words spoken...maybe the leftist universities should have offered those parents degrees in proper parenting instead of basket weaving and gender studies.

18. DaFireMedic

DaFireMedic Junior Member

Mar 3, 2021

19. fansincemckay

fansincemckay Points Member

Mar 3, 2021
    Ridiculous propaganda.I'd never watch a nanosecond of that goofy homos show.