Listening to the game on the radio...

Discussion in 'MKJ Off-Topic' started by Ridge Rider, Dec 13, 2020.

1. Listening to the game on the radio...
    Ridge Rider

Ridge Rider Points Member

Dec 13, 2020
    This is not about the game, but rather about the radio and our wonderful country...
    Last night I couldn't go over to Prescottbear's house to watch the game as I am just now finishing my Covid protocols. And I don't have regular TV, only Sling. So I couldn't watch the game.
    So, as I do from time to time, I pulled my chair up close to the radio (computer) and settled in to listen. Pete is a great announcer.
    When I grew up, it was the end of the radio era and the beginning of TV, but I had enough experiences to be connected to those days, and of course we were all familiar with the old pictures of families gathered around the "box". There was an odd resurgence when transistor radios arrived but they were more of an away from home thing.
    So there I sat listening, and it was a heck of an exciting game to listen to. I realized that I was leaning in or pushing back along with the ebb and flow of the game. I threw my hands up in frustration, and I threw my hands up to signal a Trojans touchdown. I got a lot of exercise in front of the radio last night.
    Then I realized I had stepped back in time for a few wonderful hours when America was the America that we are losing now. It was America the Beautiful and I was at peace.

2. TroyBill

TroyBill Junior Member

Dec 13, 2020
    I used to sit in front of the radio as a kid and listen to all of the great programs like Fiber McGee, Edgar Bergen , Gunsmoke, the Shadow, and many others. One of my eariest memories was listening to the Nat King Cole trio, Frank Sinatra and Bing Crosby on the radio. The thing about the radio is that it did not spoon feed you like today. It allowed you to use your imagination. I remember listening to football and baseball games on the radio back then. We got a lot of our news on movie tone news at the theatre. I was not into listening to much of the news back then on the radio. I was more interested into listening to shows like Red Ryder. Those were the days.

3. FIGHTONSC

FIGHTONSC Junior Member

WeAreSc Member
    Dec 13, 2020
    Thanks Ridge for bringing back some great memories of my dad and I sitting around a campfire after hunting all day and listening to the game on a little transistor radio out in the middle of nowhere.

SCBIGTIME, TroyBill and Ridge Rider like this.
  4. CurtC

CurtC Junior Member

Dec 13, 2020
    Yeah, I can remember doing my Saturday chores as a kid; pulling weeds in front lawn, listening to Pete Beathard on my little transistor radio. Amazing how something so simple could transform you, and take you to places far away.

Ridge Rider and SCBIGTIME like this.
  5. fansincemckay

fansincemckay Points Member

Dec 13, 2020
    I used to get caught with my DADS transistor radios in school,never got even one back...It was my go to source for games played before night games came in.

Ridge Rider likes this.
  6. old scotty

old scotty Junior Member

Dec 13, 2020
    I stuck a transistor radio inside my helmet at football practice to listen to the 1962 playoffs between the Dodgers and Giants.....God Damned Stan Williams

7. CP619

CP619 Junior Member

Dec 13, 2020
    For Sunday night baseball, I line up the radio broadcast (via the ESPN app) perfectly to the TV broadcast. It's absolute money.

In general, TV broadcasters are boring - last night being absolute proof. Greg McElroy brought zero to the game (called Tyler Vaughns "Taylor"... I like Dave Pasch but he's better at basketball.

I loved when USC sent out the 2005 ND game on DVD to all season ticket holders. They took the USC radio broadcast and lined it up perfectly to the NBC TV broadcast. Still watch it from time to time.

Ridge Rider likes this.
  8. KANDI11

KANDI11 Junior Member

Dec 13, 2020
    My dad use to take my brother and I up into the hills and let us practice driving on Saturday afternoons.
    We would listen to the SC game on the radio, my brother and I taking turns behind the wheel and dad would be in the backseat giving us tips and having himself a beer or two.
    Great memories.

9. fansincemckay

Dec 13, 2020
    I caught that too.

10. Jpltrojan

Jpltrojan Junior Member

Dec 14, 2020
    Some here are obviously more “experienced” than me but I did have my listening moments. I would often work with my Dad (a builder) on Saturdays and listen to the ND games on radio while working. There were two rivalries that I looked forward to every year, SC and Mich. It didn’t matter who was ranked or where they were ranked it was a rivalry.
    But, my day revolved around the game, the radio, and my Dad. Memorable where TV just isn’t.

11. Trojan YAF

Trojan YAF Points Member

Dec 14, 2020
    It was hot that day and most people in our West Whittier neighborhood didn't have air conditioning. All the windows and screen doors were open, so one could hear that the TVs and radios in every home were tuned in to that game.

12. Trojan YAF

Trojan YAF Points Member

Dec 14, 2020
    I listened to the 1971 USC-Notre Dame game over the Armed Forces Network in Kaiserslautern, Germany, when I was a student over there. It was especially gratifying to be 6,000 miles away and hear the Trojans win.

13. flyfishintrojan

flyfishintrojan Junior Member

Dec 14, 2020
    I liked Dodger games on radio when I was in elementary school.

As an aside, if going forward you ever want to watch the game and you have wifi, ESPN had a real time video link whereby I watched the game on my phone while the grandkids watched xmas movies and it was good. Not sure if they have it for every game though, but it felt a little like the old transistor radio days.

14. TroyBill

TroyBill Junior Member

Dec 14, 2020
    I loved AFRN. My last duty station was in Heidelberg. We used to go up to K-town all of the time. AFRN had all kinds of music on as I remember. It broadcasted several key college games and the NFL playoffs. I listened to the first Super Bowl when I was overseas.

15. 901 Club

901 Club Junior Member

Dec 14, 2020
    This thread prompts this picture....

[​IMG]\
    USC fans listening to the Notre Dame game on the radio in 1929 at the downtown L.A. men’s store, Silverwoods, on the corner of 6th and Broadway.

Attached Files:

Troianus Acies and fansincemckay like this.
  16. old scotty

old scotty Junior Member

Dec 14, 2020
    Hot and SMOGGY....awful day for football practice, and to listen to Stan Williams

17. fansincemckay

Dec 14, 2020
    Smog was OUT OF CONTROL back in the day.

18. 901 Club

901 Club Junior Member

Dec 14, 2020
    Did you know the first football game on radio was the 1923 Rose Bowl, but KHJ.

[​IMG]''

Pedestrians on Broadway dab their eyes or don gas masks to protect from air pollution in 1958. ((Herald-Examiner Collection/Los Angeles Public Library)

19. TroyBill

TroyBill Junior Member

Dec 14, 2020
    When I played football we would do our two a days in the summer. It was both smoggy and hot. After practice you would take in a deep breath and it felt like your lungs were going to explode. That was smog. LA was spectacular in the late 40s early 50s. There was not much smog. We used to burn our trash in the incinerators in our back yard. You could see small plumes of smoke throughout the LA basin but the sky was blue as everyone else was doing the same thing.

20. Ridge Rider

Ridge Rider Points Member

Dec 14, 2020
    I remember downtown in the 1950s, the sparkle sidewalks and the diagonal crosswalks.