Letting go is sometimes the best move

Discussion in 'GarryP's Trojan Huddle' started by TrojanDrive, Dec 5, 2019.

1. Letting go is sometimes the best move
    TrojanDrive

TrojanDrive Junior Member

Dec 5, 2019
    I'm not trying to be philosophical so I apologize in advance if this post evolves to that.

I was reflecting last night on this whole USC football debacle. Why is it that I was glued to this message board for the last one week awaiting the outcome of the Helton saga? The short answer in my mind was I care about USC football which I've followed for 24 years. That's a long time yet it also pales in comparison to many others on this board who have supported USC football far longer. I guess in a way it was the feeling of being a part of something. Being connected to USC. Maybe that's why yesterday was so tough.

About 6 months ago, a good friend of mine said to me that we have to let go of things we have no control over. It doesn't mean you fully agree with what happened. It means you move forward with what you can control. Then adopt a "What's next?" attitude. His advice has helped me multiple times since then even though it is so simple that one would think I would already know this. I did already know it but sometimes we have to be reminded.

After Bohn's announcement yesterday, I realize we really had no control over the outcome in the end. Many of us hoped we did collectively as a fan base but that proved to be untrue. We can't control what Folt and Bohn do as their motivations are only known at the highest levels at the BOT level.

The only thing we can control is our own actions. I will never wish ill on USC football team. I will always root for them to win as well as root for the players.

But getting back to what I can control. I can control how much energy I devote to USC football as well as control how much money I spend supporting USC donations wise, game tickets, and merchandise.

So, after my evening of reflecting, I woke up today with a much more emotion free perspective. I have decided to invest less mind space to USC football because I believe that makes sense for me. I've decided to not spend any money on USC for the foreseeable future but only because that is one thing I can control if I disagree with what has happened.

I've moved on to "What's Next?" I will figure that out. Maybe more tennis, more international travel, and whatever else that presents itself. It's healthier to let go than to pine for something that isn't happening.

This is just my personal process I thought I would share because I know there are others hurting today. I've chosen to let it go because I have no control over what happened. I'm in no way espousing this as what others should do. Everyone will have their own way how they go about things.

Some have resorted to chastising others as acting as "5 year olds" for not getting their way. That poster(s) seems to have missed the point that people's reactions are not whining and entitlement.

People are disappointed because they care about USC football yet the university made a decision that sends the message they don't care about the fans. That stings...

As to all my brothers out there that care about USC football, just remember we really had no control over this outcome. So give yourselves a break. Maybe let go a little. Focus on what you can control.

"What's next?" ...........

Last edited: Dec 5, 2019
    travyav, TMBDave, SC4SC and 8 others like this.

2. GoSC1

GoSC1 Junior Member

Dec 5, 2019
    Nice post. Thank you for sharing. It helps

gubo&palanka likes this.
  3. KeenObserver

KeenObserver Junior Member

Dec 5, 2019
    It’s a shame you have to make that choice. The problem we know the potential of the program but what we feel is a great sense of enjoyment and belonging is manipulated and neutered by some self serving snd very unethical people. It’s a plague among our corporate leadership and quite frankly leadership in all facets of life. SC C just seems to embrace that in a much more deliberate and concentrated manner.

I feel your pain. I don’t want to play tennis, I want to enjoy SC football the way it was meant to be enjoyed. Well coached, competitive, exciting and sometimes heart breaking. Not maddening, frustrating, cynically viewed.

Bohn kicked us all in the balls and told us it was a foot job by a model.

gubo&palanka and LucGomez40 like this.
  4. Sam Bam

Sam Bam Junior Member

Dec 5, 2019
    Good post. Here is what not to let go of ( and they can't take from us) Memories and camaraderie / bonds formed as a result of USC Football. Two of mine that come to mind specifically about bonds are:

Sitting next to a fellow USC student, whom I just met that day, at the Rose Bowl for my first in-person USC - UCLA game, in the end zone where Morton makes his incredible catch from Marinovich.

12 years later I was in this guy's wedding party on November 29th 2002. The next day I and two fellow classmates are at the airport getting ready to head home but USC - ND is on the television at the airport. Palmer is destroying ND and the game is too good to leave so we all decide to skip our flights and catch the next ones available. I mean it helped that we were in Hawaii but still.

This is why I hope that the disillusioned posters don't leave the board. It's hard to replicate those bonds. Besides who else will feel your pain.

5. Cardinal&Gold

Cardinal&Gold Junior Member

Dec 5, 2019
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Guy's like Lurch (Tim Tessalone) are part of the swamp. USC need to scrape the S!#t off it's shoes to return to greatness.

gubo&palanka likes this.
  6. USCAlumFightOn

USCAlumFightOn Junior Member

Dec 5, 2019
    You're right that we don't have control over much, but I think we will have a good year next year though. Hang in there. Fight On!

7. TrojanDrive

TrojanDrive Junior Member

Dec 5, 2019
    Thanks for sharing. Your post exemplifies how sport is more than just what happens on the field. The Trojan Family network is so strong because of the connections formed through the university. Football is a big part of USC's heritage and social fabric. Many of us know this first hand but it seems the powers that be way up in the ivory towers may have lost sight of this in their efforts to cure other ills facing the university at the moment.

I don't intend to leave the board. I just won't put as much expectations or effort into USC football. As I said, I will always root for the team. That will never change.

GoSC1 and Sam Bam like this.
  8. 3rd Slide

3rd Slide Junior Member

Dec 5, 2019
    There are a lot of people, myself included, asking the same question. I’m considering joining a country club and playing more golf, and taking guitar lessons - something I’ve always wanted to do.

Have also been unsubscribing to all of the USC-related email and starting the process of disassociating from USC. It no longer feels like the school I grew up with and attended.

I’m sure Bohn is a sharp guy and maybe he’s got a plan in mind, but, as of now, I don’t believe he understands what it means to “fight on”. More like “be politically correct and take the expedient path”.

gubo&palanka and DJ4SC like this.
  9. TrojanCampaign

TrojanCampaign Junior Member

Dec 5, 2019
    I made a post similar to this yesterday.

I spent a lot of time asking myself "Is this the program that I grew up loving?" and if it's leaders no longer care than why should I? I mean just look at the amount of effort that goes into being a fan on the east coast. If I want to attend a game I have to pay hundreds of dollars for a airplane, hundreds for a hotel, and then hundreds for tickets. And this does not even include the money I argued with my wife about to add to our budget.

I treat USC football better than I treat my wife and for what?

I'm not going to completely distance myself from USC sports but this whole situation has made me realize that I need to give up this fan-addiction I have. I need to limit my time watching, discussing, and thinking about USC. And I need to stop spending money on this program and investing it into my marriage.

I graduated from two other schools and they get along just fine without me.

10. Troy70

Troy70 Junior Member

Dec 5, 2019
    Great post. My son called to let me know he is not driving in to see team play & get home at 2am anymore. He said watch team on tv & when Clay does bone headed coaching turn it off just like Angel games, haha.

gubo&palanka and TrojanDrive like this.
  11. TrojanCampaign

TrojanCampaign Junior Member

Dec 5, 2019
    Yeah, well I wish you guys the best this sucks. You guys are awesome.

This is going to be the last post from me for a while. Just changed my password to a bunch of random junk and logging myself out.

12. LucGomez40

LucGomez40 Junior Member

Dec 5, 2019
    Fantastic post. Im torn up inside bc my little girl has been going with me to games since she was 3... she is 12 now and this is one of the lasting memories she will have of her dad
    When I’m dead and gone!
    So i will probably still go to games, but the sorrow i feel inside for what could have been, will persist.
    I think Urb represented a return to dynastic winning.

Sam Bam and gubo&palanka like this.
  13. gubo&palanka

gubo&palanka Points Member

WeAreSc Member
    Dec 5, 2019
    Wonderful thread.

This is why I love USC even though it certainly never loved me.

I also think about the old timers for whom the number of USC football seasons are shrinking. For them to have this stinker of a program as their last memories! They know what "championships" are, Mr. Helton!

(Goddamn it, if I ever hear him or Bohn say that word again, I'll Myles Garrett them!)

How about Dr. Bartner. He retired having this for his farewell tour?!

travyav likes this.
  14. SoCalN8tiv

SoCalN8tiv Junior Member

Dec 5, 2019
    Yeah, the Devil said "Meh, you're in Hellton already" then he gave me back my soul and tore up the Urban contract we had. He said that even the Devil himself cannot beat the USC Country Club Swamp Dwellers. Damn, even the Devil has more integrity than the corrupt clowns running USC. Now that's sayin' a lot!

Hang in there, TrojanDrive. Ya never know what the future holds ; )

Fight On

TrojanDrive likes this.
  15. TMBDave

TMBDave Active Member

Dec 5, 2019
    Not sure how I feel about that. Which model?