Land of Mediocrity

Discussion in 'GarryP's Trojan Huddle' started by Trojnfn4, Feb 8, 2020.

1. Globe

Globe Junior Member

Feb 10, 2020
    People shouldn't use bowl games as a measure of success. 6-6 teams go to bowl games. 6-6 is a horrible season for any respectable program.

2. heyrev

heyrev Junior Member

Feb 10, 2020
    I must say, that was one hell of a reply. I appreciate the time you put into it but I don't think you're hearing me. You keep insisting "I'm fine with 8-4 every year", as if I don't enjoy, hope, or root for USC to have a NC season once in a while. Why do you not see the difference between realistic expectations (based on historical data) and demands for excellence that result in frustration, anger, hand-wringing anxiety, character assassination, and criticism. Why do you not see that one can be a fan, enjoy each game, and accept a loss once in a while without needing to blame, denigrate hard work, write stuff I'd never say to someone's face, or envy others with more success? It's college football, that's all it is. Your diatribe about one loss (bold for emphasis) was eloquent but it served, really, to simply clarify our differences of priority and attitude. Yes, I like 9-3 better than 8-4, but I've also thoroughly loved being at, or watched many, many Trojan losses over my 50+ years of fandom. They were great games played by great athletes under stadium pageantry and intense competition. It might surprise you to know that my house is littered with Trojan memorabilia, but apparently I just don't take it as seriously as you. If that's settling for mediocrity, so be it.

3. Conquestluvr

Conquestluvr Junior Member

Feb 10, 2020
    I think there is a fine and somewhat arbitrary line between a successful and a mediocre season, and over the last 40 years, when USC was not in a major bowl game, the rest of their seasons were more mediocre than the other blue bloods non-elite seasons.
    I suspect that Ohio State, Oklahoma and Alabama have had nine wins seasons more than half the time since 1979, and have probably very rarely if ever, gone 7-5.
    USC had a run of seven strong seasons under Carrol, five consecutive of which were elite, but I think the other blue bloods have put together longer strings of strong seasons than USC has.
    Nebraska went 31 years from 1971 through 2001 without a single mediocre season. I don't remember them ever having fewer than 10 wins.
    I admit my memory could be faulty, but I just don't recall too many mediocre seasons of fewer than nine wins among the other top seven blue bloods.
    I also admit that my standards are high because a strong season requires a win against either UCLA or ND.
    Therefore, 1984, 1989, and 1995 do not make my strong season list despite USC winning the Rose Bowl each of these years.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2020
  4. 23 Blast on 3rd and 7

23 Blast on 3rd and 7 Points Member

Feb 10, 2020
    It is.

5. 13Perspective

13Perspective Junior Member

Feb 10, 2020
    I think there is a lot of definitional hair splitting here.
    The angst on this board is MOSTLY about chronic and visible underperformance in games as reflected in stats, bonehead plays, and then finally record. And it is also about trend lines and perceived deterioration across the program (beyond just record). I think gereally excellent play but close losses in tough games would not generate the kind of discontent that is now on the board. defending it as “about our [email protected] is absolutely an acceptance of mediocrity.

6. 13Perspective

13Perspective Junior Member

Feb 10, 2020

7. Jpltrojan

Jpltrojan Junior Member

Feb 10, 2020
    Same clowns with the same “appreciation” for mediocrity. Thankfully they’re not in a position to force their acceptance of participation trophies on the rest of us.

8. norcalsurfer

norcalsurfer Points Member

Feb 10, 2020
    the funny part is some of these posters accepting these "participation trophies" come from the older generation.

ConquerorSC likes this.
  9. LaissezFaire28thStUSC

LaissezFaire28thStUSC Junior Member

Feb 11, 2020
    Realistic expectations?

Compete for a national championship 3 out of 5 year, winning at least one. Compete for a conference championship every year.

WeAreSC.

10. 1980trojan

1980trojan Points Member

Feb 13, 2020

Hmmmm , please explain how Tua and his whole family relocated to Alabama is not a violation? How is it that tOST allowed players to sell game merchandise and other "gifts" for profit and not get slammed? Worse than that 2 schools, Penn State and Baylor are able to have pedophiles, rapists and let's not forget the Baylor baketball player who murdered his teammate get a pass for their minor infractions that should have and were known by the administration not be considered "lack of institutional control" ?

So your hatred for Reggie Bush is off base purely from an apples to apples comparison. Yes Bush hurt USC but USC signed it's own death warrant thank you Pat Haden. No fight seems to be an ongoing theme at USC over the past 12 years. Pat, thank you sir may I have another, put this whole mess into action through his LACK of action.
    The NCAA is a corrupt, organization that picks and chooses who they arbitrarily decide to punish and to what degree. I seriously doubt there are any major universities that are squeaky clean. My son was a pretty good basketball player who played in all the big time tournaments and was selected for some high profile AAU teams. From the time he was 12 years old, coaches and programs deemed as Blue Blood caliber schools were offering all kinds of benefits and gifts if he came to play for them not just my son but family members as well. Long story short, he didn't take the bait and he ended up getting hurt and is now working on his PHD. So before you cast your evil eye at Bush, just know this kind of stuff goes on all over the country. It all depends on what judge, jury and executioner you get. Ohhhhhh did I mention the UNC grade fixing scandal? Hmmm who else at USC has connections to UNC ?????? Hmmm

Last edited: Feb 13, 2020
    Peete2Affholter likes this.