Kenan Christon

Discussion in 'Other USC Sports' started by mfortroy, Jun 24, 2019.

1. Kenan Christon
    mfortroy

mfortroy Junior Member

Jun 24, 2019
    Congratulations to Kenan Christon on being selected the Gatorade Track and Field Athlete of the Year for California!
    Great honor, as he and Bolling (from Houston) are arguably the two top sprinters in the country. It will be interested to see if he's successful in track, given the rigors of football.

Jose likes this.

2. trackdude

trackdude Junior Member

Jun 25, 2019
    I hope he’ll be allowed to do track. The burden that scholarship limits created is a lack of depth for T&F. Having these FB guys do track really does help a lot. We could use more throwers too! (Lineman, how ‘bout stepping up as well??)

uscvball likes this.
  3. dbw021

dbw021 Junior Member

Jun 27, 2019
    I agree! I was looking through the list of USC track and field All Americans that you posted recently. I forgot how many football players were, also, All Americans in Track and field. Jon Arnett, Mike McKeever, OJ Simpson, Darrell Rideaux, Karem Kelly etc. It would be great if some of those sprinters from the football team were allowed to run track.

4. trackdude

trackdude Junior Member

Jun 27, 2019
    Quite a few throwers, too!

5. dbw021

dbw021 Junior Member

Jun 28, 2019
    Yes, a lot of throwers back in the day. I don't think a lot of high school football players do the throws in high school anymore. Not sure why.

6. trackdude

trackdude Junior Member

Jun 28, 2019
    I think there’s a lack of throws coaches at the HS level.

7. dbw021

dbw021 Junior Member

Jun 29, 2019
    I am sure that is one factor. I think another issue is that kids in high school today are being forced into specialization of one sport while still in high school. When I was coaching high school football, I would encourage the kids to go out for wrestling, track, etc. I wanted them to stay active, cross train and enjoy their high school years.
    That doesn't happen very much today. A lot of coaches and parents want their kids in weight room, 7 on 7, and training year round for football. I remember Sam Cunningham, Hoby Brenner and George Buehler winning Southern Section shot put titles and I think Cunningham and Buehler won state. You just don't see that anymore. I think it is a shame and might be the reason some of these really talented football players burn out when they get to college.

8. trackdude

trackdude Junior Member

Jun 29, 2019
    Not just nowadays. I coached HS track from the 70s to the 90s and always had to battle the FB coach about “his guys” doing track. It was a real pain.

9. dbw021

dbw021 Junior Member

Jun 30, 2019
    I, also, coached track in high school as assistant. But, being a football coach, I always had the philosophy of keeping kids busy and cross training. But, I know there were a lot of coaches that had their little fiefdom and they didn't want anybody infringing on that domain. It was a shame because very, very few of those high school kids were ever going to go on and even participate in college. What not let them enjoy their high school years with as many activities and memories as possible.

10. trackdude

trackdude Junior Member

Jun 30, 2019
    EXACTLY!!!!!

11. uscernie

uscernie Junior Member

Jul 1, 2019
    As I recall, Lynn Swann was the CA State champion (Serra High) in the Long Jump in San Mateo, and Sam Cunningham was the CA State champion (Santa Barbara High) in the shotput! Many are called. Few are Trojan!!!

12. trackdude

trackdude Junior Member

Jul 1, 2019
    Yes, and it was Randy Williams who came in 2nd to Swann in that meet.

dbw021 and uscernie like this.