Kedon vs Sam

Discussion in 'GarryP's Trojan Huddle' started by CP619, Aug 22, 2019.

1. Kedon vs Sam
    CP619

CP619 Junior Member

Aug 22, 2019
    Let's start off by calming the "are you really comparing Sam to Kedon?" crowd down...maybe, maybe not.

Simple question...Would anyone have been upset if Sam, as a true freshman, was the backup for Cody Kessler in 2015? I'll take a stab in the dark and say, "No".

But, Max Browne was the backup...you remember him, right? He was the back-to-back Gatorade Player of the year for the state of Washington. Not exactly a slouch.

Looking back at that 2015 season, the team finished 8-6 after starting out the season ranked #8 in the country. What a disaster.

Luckily, it could have been worse...imagine Max Browne playing in any of those games if CK got injured. USC backed into winning the South only to be rolled by Stanford for the 2nd time that season. If Max Browne started any of those games, USC does not finish 8-6.

But...what if Sam started any of those games due to a CK injury, who knows what the season would have looked like!?!? What about the 5 point loss at unranked Washington where CK was GARBAGE? Sammy, as a true freshman, would have led the game winning drive just like he always does, right? I would have taken a true freshman, Sam Darnold, over the 5th year Senior, Cody Kessler, on that day and a few more days that season.

Can we all just calm the eff down about Slovis being named #2 over Sears and Fink? What if he turns into the next Sam Darnold? Ouch, I feel the backlash coming.

And you can preach about Sam and his greatness all you want...but let's not forget...he was recruited by USC to play LB! Ha!

And let's look at the Sam vs Kedon comparison (before the Legend Of Sam Darnold was created)...

ESPN had both as 4 star QB's, Sam with a Grade of 83, Kedon with a Grade of 80. Not much difference.

My point is very simple...let's not act like we know what Kedon will be, and let's not pretend to know what Fink and Sears would look like as the starting QB, or even as the backup QB. Based on history, I'm very happy Slovis is our backup QB over Fink and Sears.

Reasoning:
    Fink and Sears = Corp (5 star) and Mustain (5 star). Look what happened when those guys entered the game as a backup QB. I'll make it easy...USC lost...every time...Sears included.

I'd rather have a diamond in the rough, who isn't thinking everyday about transferring, and can develop in this new offensive system much quicker as the #2 QB than the #4 QB.

That's all folks!

FIGHT ON! BEAT THE BULLDOGS! SUPPORT THE PLAYERS AND THE COACHES! PUMP, PUMP, PUMP, UNTIL YOU CAN'T PUMP NO MORE!

Last edited: Aug 22, 2019
    SCBIGTIME and Cyrus like this.

2. BeatND2019

BeatND2019 Points Member

Aug 22, 2019
    Sam was not recruited to play linebacker. Pure folklore. Sam was offered in June 2014 after being selected to Elite 11. He was recruited and offered as a QB. He and Ricky Towns were the QB commits for 2015.

Slovis may turn out to be great but I encourage you to pump the brakes. Since you like looking at ESPN recruiting info please look at what other programs offered Slovis.

Helton chose JT and Harrell chose Slovis. Harrell chose Slovis due to potential to run his offense and definitely not based upon fall camp production and consistency.

Slovis had the worst numbers and most interceptions. Great to hear that he makes throws others can't make. This was the first time this was mentioned as no other observers were being wowed by some incredible arm talent.

This is all pure coach speak, moving the puck, and trying to change the narrative.

Coaches know Sears is gone if not playing and assume Fink will be gone as well in December. May as well invest the 2nd team reps at practice in Slovis. It will be interesting to watch if JT struggles or gets injured.

big_pete and Fyton82 like this.
  3. CP619

CP619 Junior Member

Aug 22, 2019
    "Because he was so good at hoops and lost much of his junior football season to a broken foot, he wasn't highly recruited. His first contact with USC came from Trojans DC Justin Wilcox, who wanted to recruit him as an outside linebacker. "

I agree.

SCBIGTIME likes this.
  4. BeatND2019

BeatND2019 Points Member

Aug 22, 2019
    Contact in one thing....but recruitment and an offer is another. He was offered as a QB

5. 101Coast

101Coast Points Member

Aug 22, 2019
    JT started as a freshman and the team went 5-7, so comparing him or Slovis to Max Brown as the starter instead of Kessler would be similar. Probably wouldn't have been any worse. Also, Sam as a freshman may not be Sam as a sophomore either. And Kessler was horrible the first year he started. He had a few decent games when Orgeron took over but he was not the same as a second year starting Kessler. He needed whatever hot sauce Orgeron sprinkled on him to elevate his game. Maybe Max Brown needed some of that sauce. It seems to be working at LSU now.

According to the scrimmage reports, where it's closer to a game situation than practice, Slovis didn't do as well in them.

Fink and Sears, we've seen a bit of them in real games and they did as well as a backup would expect to do. A bit is more than none and they showed potential.

Another difference between Kessler/Brown/Sam and the four guys this year is there was an unknown element to Brown and Sam. They were confident with Kessler as the starter and Brown backing him, maybe not by choice but they had no other options and that's why Sam got redshirted, which is the smart move when you have what you perceive as capable players in the position.

This year, according to the staff, all four QB's had the potential and instead of redshirting your future "Sam", you move him past two other guys who, according to you, could have been the one.

As I've posted, in most years you never see the 2nd guy anyways so if JT can win and is not injured, it doesn't matter.

Fyton82 likes this.
  6. Cyrus

Cyrus Junior Member

Aug 22, 2019
    Watching the HS highlights of Slovis that someone posted in another thread, he did remind me of Sam.

AZUSCfan and CP619 like this.
  7. Fyton82

Fyton82 Points Member

Aug 22, 2019
    Disagree with your reasoning based the following-

If I recall correctly, Barkley was a late scratch and Corp found out on Wed or Thurs he would be starting vs UDUB. Clearly he was not properly prepared for a big time road game and it showed in a huge way. Still, UDUB won on last minute FG.

Mustain's lone start was in the rain against ND. Kiffin went deep into his sideways passing game that night with an endless barrage of bubble screens. Only late in the 4th quarter did he open things up and push the routes deeper. Mustain made a beautiful deep throw to Ronald Johnson and it was dropped. If he makes the catch, Johnson walks into the end zone and SC wins. Kiffin also screwed the pooch by not playing Allen Bradford for a single snap. The following week, Bradford rushed for 200+ against the bRuins.

Sears played more than adequately to win the ASU game last year. Vaughns dropped a deep TD which would have been the margin of victory. I'd place that loss more on the D's failure to stop Benjamin, Harry & Wilikins and ST giving up a punt return TD.

Butcher22 likes this.
  8. AnnenbergGrad

AnnenbergGrad Junior Member

Aug 22, 2019
    Sam was signed at USC to play QB. In fact, that was Helton's doing as QB coach at the time.

Max Browne was Player of the Year for the entire country, not just his home state.

Max was so heralded that this board and the others wanted him to start over Kessler. Sam wasn't even an aside at that time, so your hindsight now has you leapfrogging.

If you don't want backlash, don't make comparisons that have little merit and throw in false variables and unknowable hypotheticals. Of course you'll get backlash.

That said...

Aside from them both being USC QBs, the similarities between Sam and Kedon are that staff sees them as uniquely talented. However, staff were calling Sam more of a once in a generation talent, so that's not really the same.

One thing that might happen, however, is Kedon may end up taking over the starting position early into a football season, just like Sam did. Also, he'd be taking that job from another Gatorade National Football Player of the Year in JT.

We'll see, but please don't assume Kedon will be like Sam.

I've seen them both in practice and we're talking different tools and physical traits. Kedon may have some escapability but that's based on H.S. film and don't mean much at all in college. Though he's bigger than JT now, he doesn't have the size Sam did at this stage. Kedon does have a very good arm, but Sam had a rocket on HoJo and made some truly incredible passes for any level of football. I have not seen the same from Kedon, just some very good D1 throws.

Sam is something very, very special and might end up in the NFL HOF when all is said and done, honestly.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2019
    Butcher22 and CP619 like this.