Josh Simmons situation

Discussion in 'GarryP's Trojan Huddle' started by motovich, Jan 27, 2021.

1. Josh Simmons situation
    motovich

motovich Junior Member

Jan 27, 2021
    Local 4-star offensive lineman Josh Simmons signed yesterday with San Diego State. For a while he had insisted he would only play defense, which turned off a lot of schools, including SC. When his quality offers started drying up, he contacted a lot of top schools and said he was open to playing O-line. But the offers never came due to "other issues". Does anybody know what happened to Simmons?

2. Jay4usc

Jay4usc Points Member

Jan 27, 2021
    Grades?

3. GLYCERINE

GLYCERINE Junior Member

Jan 27, 2021
    Maybe he will play himself into a P5 school.

or maybe he develops at SDSU. They have a good HC right?

4. USCAlumFightOn

USCAlumFightOn Junior Member

Jan 27, 2021
    He doesn't look good as a DL at all but he was very adamant about it. His attitude rubbed coaches the wrong way. He has some potential as an OL but not enough to where coaches need to kiss his feet.

Ride Fly likes this.
  5. Dartmouth

Dartmouth Points Member

Jan 27, 2021
    Too bad, we really could have used him on the O-line. ATTITUDE is nearly always a deal breaker. Simmons seemed like a smart kid, perhaps too smart for his own good.

Uke would now be our last hope to join Mason, Max,,, make it happen Texas connection! sell him on the value of an SC connection for after football; Sell him on what Hollywood can do for him.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2021
  6. Peete2Affholter

Peete2Affholter Junior Member

Jan 27, 2021
    Kind if odd. Why would a kid be adamant about wanting to play defense if the coaches are telling him his best potential is on offense?

7. Trojanmack909

Trojanmack909 Junior Member

Jan 27, 2021
    Some kids just prefer to play what they want to play, even against the advice of others.

8. Dartmouth

Dartmouth Points Member

Jan 27, 2021
    I call it the curse of life in the western world, a world where kids are encouraged to pursue their passions/dreams. Since the kids are housed and well fed they can follow dreams and ignore the wise minds trying to talk sense into them.

Imported kids are more practical(we have to be), they listen to experts advice and run with it. The experts advice becomes their passion, their LOVE.
    Going to bed with a lightly fed stomach, under a leaky roof is one hell of a motivator.
    Some of our Southern kids still understand what I mean but these big city kids like Simmons and others,,,

Oh! and be careful with these Big City kids, don't push them too hard most wear a label which reads FRAGILE - HANDLE WITH CARE- and with the modern sentiment of our society/law makers, be careful coaches.

9. LDIABootney

LDIABootney Junior Member

Jan 27, 2021
    Well I remember a certain RB out of Louisiana that all the big schools said his best potential was at DB.
    But he wanted to play RB and ended up at SDSU. His name Marshall Faulk

10. BarNone

BarNone Junior Member

Jan 27, 2021
    Given what went down with big brother, i don't know if he would have come but I think USC insisted Arik Armstead play OT rather than defense

11. LoyalTrojan

LoyalTrojan Junior Member

Jan 27, 2021
    Are we throwing random guesses out there?

my guess, early male pattern baldness?

Trojan Man 30 and AMLTrojan like this.
  12. Peete2Affholter

Jan 27, 2021
    Lol. "Imported" kids?

But I get what you mean. Immigrants, and those who grew up hungry (literally and figuratively) tend to be more practical in their choice of career paths, and wisely listen to the advice of others.

That said, the kid wants what he wants, and hopefully he can find a situation that lets him do what he aims to do.

13. nvargas

nvargas Junior Member

Jan 27, 2021
    There's a difference between wanting due to a passion and wanting due to petulance and being spoiled. It's not always the latter. Want can lead to a higher level of passion and drive to excel. Being relegated to what a coach wants you to play can lead to losing the passion for playing at all.

It's not always so cut & dry...you'd have to know more about the kid and the situation to judge...rather than just applying some 1-size-fits-all platitude.

LDIABootney likes this.
  14. BigRex

BigRex Points Member

Jan 27, 2021
    The coaches told Marshal Faulk his best position was defense also.

LDIABootney likes this.
  15. Peete2Affholter

Jan 27, 2021
    Yes, and coaches also told Tim Tebow he might do some good as a tight end. Guess he showed them.

16. Dartmouth

Dartmouth Points Member

Jan 27, 2021
    While not an exact science I believe expert evaluators have guided kids Right more times than not.

I believe Necessity to be the greater force from where to feed that "higher level of passion and drive to excel."
    NECESSITY used to feed this countries hunger, the hunger to be the best in all endeavors ; be it basketball, baseball, space,,, we were the worlds envy.

Today we've become a society of Doing what feels good, pursuers of "WANT'S"
    No wonder we've become heavy importers. In keeping with sports, Baseball is full of imports, Basketball likewise, Football is still mostly an American,,, but for how long?

While our kids are feathering their nests, single minded driven imports are munching on their lunch. In the fields and in the books. For the record I dislike NO group, just enjoy good competition.

BANAL? perhaps, perhaps

17. BlemBlam

BlemBlam Junior Member

Jan 28, 2021
    Bro, you really have no experience with a teenager thinking he knows better than adults.?

18. BlemBlam

BlemBlam Junior Member

Jan 28, 2021
    He’d probably be in the NFL HOF if he’d been a Corner, too. But point taken.
    A better example may be Mike Williams. Florida wanted him as Safety only. We told him of course you can play WR.

19. BlemBlam

BlemBlam Junior Member

Jan 28, 2021
    Except he might still be playing if he’d been a TE. But point taken. I can’t remember which NFL coach said it, possibly Gruden when he was still on TV. But he said Tebow could have made it in the NFL at several positions.

20. Dartmouth

Dartmouth Points Member

Jan 28, 2021
    Every teenager since day memorial entertained the belief of knowing better than the people buying his food /shelter etc,,, We/they just were not overt about it. Today's youth not only display their disapproval but act on it and many dare you to do something about it.
    20 years ago while watching my sons Baseball game a lady said to a kid, "sit down Bobby people behind you can't see"
    Bobby responded in anger, "LEAVE ME ALONE BARBARA" the lady started crying and said, "I'm your mother you don't talk to me that way" I looked at my 5 year old daughter and said Don't even think about it!!

Piero, an Argentinian born artist says in his song about American children,
    They are born ancient and only start behaving child like as they grow older through life,,
    enjoy the great PIERO,

Last edited: Jan 28, 2021