John David Baker reportedly heading to Ole Miss

Discussion in 'GarryP's Trojan Huddle' started by ErikMcKinney, Jan 22, 2021.

1. John David Baker reportedly heading to Ole Miss
    ErikMcKinney

ErikMcKinney Administrator

Staff Member
    Jan 22, 2021
    https://twitter.com/espnrittenberg/status/1352778410431574018?s=21

ESPN’s Adam Rittenberg: “#OleMiss is set to hire John David Baker as tight ends coach, sources tell @ClowESPN and me. Baker spent 2020 as #USC's tight ends coach and joined the staff along with OC Graham Harrell. He replaces Joe Jon Finley, who left for #Oklahoma.“

2. KeckTMB

KeckTMB Member

Jan 22, 2021
    Air Raid Offenses usually have two WR coaches.

Would Tee Martin be willing to come back to be WR/TE coach?

3. qqqqqqqman

qqqqqqqman Junior Member

Jan 22, 2021

Yeah, most people want to go backwards in careers and take less money......

4. USC1

USC1 Junior Member

Jan 22, 2021
    Isn’t Baker out OC’s best friend. This seems interesting did Kiffy come out of the blue to snatch this “up and comer” or did Bohner tell him to start looking for a new gif? Will Harrell be mad and sulk. From the production or lack there of our TE’s I would say he was a horrible TE end coach

TheTrojanKnight and Wolfpack4SC like this.
  5. Jay4usc

Jay4usc Points Member

Jan 22, 2021
    Why does it seem like we didn’t even have a TE coach

6. Jay4usc

Jay4usc Points Member

Jan 22, 2021
    That would make my day!

TroyBill likes this.
  7. GoSC27!

GoSC27! Points Member

Jan 22, 2021
    Well one less Coach with association to Texas. I didn’t realize we had 10 coaches with ties to Texas. I was thinking today too bad we just could not do an entire Coach swap with Texas. I had my initial doubts about Sark, but I like what he is doing in his assistant pickups!
    Fight On!

8. in2nation

in2nation Junior Member

Jan 22, 2021
    This. Let’s get Claiborne a spot on the field! ASU knows what they’re doing.

9. big_pete

big_pete Points Member

Jan 22, 2021
    This is a move that needed to happen. Hell, it should never have had to happen in the first place, because JD Baker had no business taking up a coaching spot. Still though, I'm shocked. Shocked Harrel's energy drink swilling WWE buddy is headed out of town.

Obviously a move like this has Bohn's fingerprints all over it (does Helton even have the authority to make offensive staff moves at this point). I guess it pays to be best buddies with the teacher's pet. Instead of getting the axe with ol' Drevno, JD got himself a couple extra paychecks and the time he needed to line up another gig.

UNLEASH THE CLAIBORNE!!!

gubo&palanka and LDIABootney like this.
  10. beeto

beeto Junior Member

Jan 23, 2021
    This guy is regarded as a guy to watch as he has climbed the ladder rather quickly.

kiff can’t coach , we all know that .
    But he can recruit and us a good talent evaluator when assembling his staff .

11. GoSC27!

GoSC27! Points Member

Jan 23, 2021
    Well Kiffen did have one bad hire for sure - and he is the current HC at USC!
    Fight On!

LoyalTrojan likes this.
  12. TheRealAirbns

TheRealAirbns Junior Member

Jan 23, 2021
    That's the sad but funny part of this story - Ole Miss as a step up from USC. That's what 'SC has become.

Remember when Drevno's return was announced and almost everyone said how great it was to finally have a good O line coach after the the disaster that preceded him? Only it wasn't just one disaster, it was four or five in a row, which should have suggested to everyone that the problem wasn't with the offensive line coaches, but with something or someone else (*cough* Helton). Now Drevno's out, too. Anybody think the next man up from Texas State is going to have success? Anyone want to raise their hand for that one?

AMLTrojan likes this.
  13. Alvaro Carrillo

Alvaro Carrillo Points Member

Jan 25, 2021
    Lateral move. I think he knows Helton's job security is hanging by a thread.

AMLTrojan likes this.
  14. Trojack

Trojack Junior Member

Jan 25, 2021
    I don't know if he WILL have success but I know he is the only OL coach who is positioned to have success if there is success to be had. First, he wasn't a Helton hire, he was a Harrell/Bohn hire. He gets points for that right there. Second, he is only one of 3 or 4 OL coaches in the entire country who actually understands what is required to run Harrell's offense, assuming of course that (a) Harrell is allowed to run it without Helton's interference, and (b) that offense actually works over the long haul. Both are huge assumptions and obviously, this is a stop-gap measure and not a long-term solution. The only long-term solution is to get rid of Helton when the university is comfortable doing so.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2021