Jack Sears headed to Boise State

Discussion in 'GarryP's Trojan Huddle' started by ErikMcKinney, May 18, 2020.

1. Peete2Affholter

Peete2Affholter Junior Member

May 19, 2020
    Wow. Is their O-line as bad as ours?

In any case, I wish him the best of luck. Those thinking he will merely finish his career riding the bench in blue and orange instead of Cardinal and Gold - I'm pretty sure that when he went into the portal, he explored programs where he believed he could get a realistic chance to play. Otherwise, why move at all?

Sears is talented, many here believed he should have started over JT Daniels in 2018, and, had Kedon Slovis never come to town, it might have been he getting all the press in filling in for an injured Daniels and taking market share away from Matt Fink. I just think that, as sometimes happens when you have a plethora of talented guys vying for one spot - someone is going to finish last in the voting, and it isn't always necessarily based on talent. As anyone who has ever been in a situation where multiple candidates are vying for a single spot knows - politics can play a significant role in whether you get the opportunity or not.

2. DaFireMedic

DaFireMedic Junior Member

May 19, 2020
    Yes, a good many here thought he might be a “Darnold in the rough”, as he was similar in style to Sam only a bit faster and with similar success at San Clemente. That, and he did pretty well in his only start at USC and showed signs of being a playmaker.

earlandnic likes this.
  3. jiordone

jiordone Junior Member

May 19, 2020
    At least he's out of California so he might actually get to play football this year! Hope he does well.

earlandnic and Boselli like this.
  4. crank31

crank31 Junior Member

May 19, 2020
    Glad this saga is over

gubo&palanka likes this.
  5. ForwardUntoDawn

ForwardUntoDawn Points Member

May 20, 2020
    Boise State builds their plan around whatever players they get as do every other G5 program. I would say that we should wait and see because it's not as if USC has an elite coaching staff.

gubo&palanka likes this.
  6. ForwardUntoDawn

ForwardUntoDawn Points Member

May 20, 2020
    You do realize that Boise State is probably one of if not the most winning program of the last 15-17 years right? One or two seasons can be considered a fluke but not 17 years of consistent 10-13 win seasons. And it's not as if they have not done some impressive things in this run.

2006 season - Undefeated witha Fiesta bowl win over #7 OU.
    2007 - Another 10 win season
    2008 - An 12 win season with their sole loss being a 1-point loss to #11 TCU.
    2009 - Undefeated 14-0 season with another Fiesta Bowl win over #4 TCU
    2010 - Another 12 win season with three wins over ranked teams
    2011 - Another 12 win season that include wins over Georgia, Arizona State, and TCU.
    2012 - An 11 win season
    2013 - One of their worsts seasons and they still managed 8 wins
    2014 - Oh look, another 12 win season with a ANOTHER FIESTA bowl win over #10 Arizona.
    2015 - A bad season by their standards, 9 wins.
    2016 - Another 10 win season
    2017 - Another 11 win season including a bowl win over Oregon and two wins over ranked teams.
    2018 - Another 10 win season that probably would have been 11 if their bowl game was not cancelled.
    2019- Another 12 win season.

Meanwhile, the last meaningful thing our program has done be able to land guys like Sam Darnold and JuJu because we at one point in time our school actually cared about football.

7. heyrev

heyrev Junior Member

May 20, 2020
    Jack Sears is the epitome of the ageless addage of fans: the best quarterback on roster is the one that never plays. Interesting to me that he was never pursued by major programs outside the Mountain West. Tells you something, no? Either his ambition level was never sky high, or coaches know more than fans? I suspect one or both. Anyway, he's a good kid who just wants to play football. More power to him.

SCAnteater and nvargas like this.
  8. ErikMcKinney

ErikMcKinney Administrator

Staff Member
    May 20, 2020
    Not to hijack this thread, but I honestly had to stop and look this up. I'd completely forgotten that Arizona had that year where they won the Pac-12 South.

9. nvargas

nvargas Junior Member

May 20, 2020
    When was the last time Stanford ran a read-option? When was the last time Oregon ran a QB under center? When was the last time AZ's QB's threw 25 times in a game they weren't getting killed in? When was the last time WSU ran the ball 25 times in a game?

Yes, a team is capable of adapting their gameplan to a specific player, but they don't normally do that. A tweak here or there, a play package, but not usually a different style.

I've looked back at BSU's QB's for many years and I don't recall a "mobile" QB that ran often and a gameplan that used that mobility as say Oregon has. Oregon coached their WR's to block in a certain way, coached their OL's to release in a certain way and have their heads on swivels in case the QB took off. Closest thing I can recall was TAMU allowing Manziel to do whatever he wanted...but he was a once in a lifetime talent as Tebow was...you just let the dude do his thing. Sears is not that.

10. DaFireMedic

May 20, 2020
    It’s not true that Sears was never pursued by major programs outside the Mountain West.

At San Clemente, he had offers from Texas A&M, Tennessee, Duke, North Carolina, and Utah, among others. And of course USC. He chose to be a Trojan.

That is what should “tell you something”, no?

I’m not saying that he should have started at USC, I am not on the practice field (none of us are). But it doesn’t mean that his skill set is not such that could be successful at a school that could use him.

Last edited: May 20, 2020
    earlandnic and ForwardUntoDawn like this.
  11. heyrev

heyrev Junior Member

May 20, 2020
    I was referring more to his portal, post-HS recruiting days. Seeing him compete with his college peers is a better read than HS, wouldn't you agree? Look, no knock on the guy...I just don't think he had the goods to be an impact player at the level many predicted. He had a fair shot against 3 other guys and finished 4th. It happens, and I think it was taken into account by other national programs, that's all. I think he probably took it into account, too.

12. DaFireMedic

May 20, 2020
    To a degree, yes. But it seems that all players stock and opportunities, regardless of their ranking and reputation coming out of high school, diminishes when they enter the transfer portal. It seems to be true even of players who played very well in the opportunities that they had, yet lost the job to someone maybe just as talented or more so, yet better suited their schools offense.

Just because Sears finished second to JT Daniels in 2018, a 5 star recruit and Gatorade player of the year in HS, doesn’t mean that Sears somehow wasn’t as good as expected or didn’t have the goods. The other guy was probably a bit better in the competition.

And the following year, Sears tendency to take off and run didn’t fit well with GH’s offense, something said repeatedly by GH. It doesn’t mean he didn’t have the goods at that level, it just meant that GH felt that the others were a better fit. As pocket passers, JT and Slovis appear to be much better than Sears.

This may draw some criticism, but I believe that JT and Slovis may be better pure pocket passers than Darnold was, and probably would have finished above him in the same such QB competition, provided Darnold was in Sears shoes and hadn’t established himself yet. Darnold’s style is not what GH feels is optimal for his system. Yet Darnold definitely had the goods.

13. heyrev

heyrev Junior Member

May 20, 2020
    Well, the Sears-Darnold comparison is a bit of a stretch but I see your point. Lots of Justin Turner-like stories of athletes thriving with a change of scenery. Perhaps a new environment and system will bring out Jack's best. Don't blame him for taking a shot. I'd want to play, too.

earlandnic, AMLTrojan and DaFireMedic like this.
  14. nvargas

nvargas Junior Member

May 20, 2020
    Agree w/ all you wrote and I vividly remember Sears being an even higher rated recruit than Darnold and a more dynamic runner. Agree he was not going to unseat JT and Slovis was a complete revelation.

The problem in interpretation for Sear's aptitude is his inability to give what the coaches asked for. You know Harrel wants to see you go through the progressions and make the correct read - give it to him! He's not asking you to run like Tebow, run an overcomplicated offense with tons of reads/timing w/ a playbook thick as the bible...he's just asking Sears to "NOT BRING THE BALL DOWN AND RUN DURING PRACTICE"...and he couldn't do it.

The only time a QB should be running in practice is on designed runs, an obvious hole in the defense or broken plays. There's no point running while you're wearing a yellow jersey and the object of the drill is to read the defense, it's counter-productive.

Not trying to knock the guy, reading defenses is a super-tough thing to do. Many offenses now are running "Check With Me" schemes where the OC pretty much tells the QB what to do on each play. This is the type of offense Sears would be better suited for, to mask his deficiencies (making reads w/ timing) and highlight his upside (athleticism).

Alabama's QB's a couple years back didn't need a polished QB. Their defenses allowed few points, they ran a bunch, had a dominant OL...the OC (Kiffen), would pretty much tell the QB when to throw and who would be open.

BSU is not that.

Perhaps Sears takes the next step and the game slows down for him. Perhaps he now reads defenses and drops back 20+ times per game. I certainly hope so, he's a solid kid with a gymrat attitude. I wish him well.

Last edited: May 20, 2020
  15. DaFireMedic

May 20, 2020
    I agree. I think Sears may have seen his mobility as his only chance to win the starting job so he went with what he knows, hoping to convince Harrell. I don’t think he has the pure passing skills to beat out Daniels and Slovis, both of whom are exceptional pocket passers at the college level. He may have seen the extra dimension of his running as his best chance to make it happen, but in the end, that’s not what Harrell wants.

earlandnic likes this.
  16. DaFireMedic

May 20, 2020
    It is a stretch to compare Sears to Darnold, although they were very similar in HS. Sam Darnold was the total package. Big, mobile, creative, great senses in the pocket and out, and a great arm. I just think that Darnold and Sears are built to turn loose so that when the play doesn’t come together as planned, they still have the ability to make something happen.

I have to admit that I was hoping that Sears would be able to continue some of the Darnold magic, but in the end, Harrell has to go with the guy that can best run his scheme.

earlandnic likes this.
  17. 4thamp1

4thamp1 Junior Member

May 20, 2020
    One man's garbage is another man's treasure. I hope he catches fire in Boise. It would make for a helluva story.

earlandnic and ForwardUntoDawn like this.
  18. SouthbayTrojan91

SouthbayTrojan91 Junior Member

May 20, 2020
    What are you basing that on?

19. Boselli

Boselli Junior Member

WeAreSc Member
    May 23, 2020
    Slam dunk true

earlandnic likes this.
  20. ICEnEC

ICEnEC Points Member

May 24, 2020
    5 different games I have attended. Not a fan of either team involved. The only attitude worse than the 2 bronco losses??? The 3 wins. Made attending the game a bad experience. Eugene is the only place I have been, that’s worse.