Is Swann a lame duck

Discussion in 'Trojan Huddle' started by redondob, Oct 11, 2018 at 8:48 AM.

1. TrojanInSF

TrojanInSF Points Member

Oct 12, 2018 at 12:50 AM
    I don’t read much into the extension. SOP in major college athletics with a decent-ish head coach.

I’m giving ADLS the benefit of the doubt until he proves otherwise. I don’t support firing Helton yet, and who knows what’s going on behind the scenes (rallying $, identifying candidates, etc.

However, no clear signs of improvement + no major staff changes this offseason, my tune on Clay changes quick.

2. PacTrojan

PacTrojan Junior Member

Oct 12, 2018 at 5:48 AM
    So what is the actual value of football to the university? Not as much as some fans think. Looking at USC's last financial report - 2017 - the university had total revenue of $4.5 billion, which came from:

34% - Health Care Services
    31% - Student Tuition and Fees
    10% - Contracts and Grants
    8% - Auxiliary Enterprises (includes the Athletic Dept and Coliseum revenue)
    6% - Sales, Services and other
    6% - Contributions and donations
    5% - Endowment Spending

"Auxiliary enterprise revenue totaled $346 million in fiscal year 2017, an increase of 9 percent from 2016 revenue of $319 million, and represented 8 percent of the university’s 2017 operating revenue. Auxiliary enterprises revenue includes USC Athletics, as well as the L.A. Memorial Coliseum, Sports Arena, and University Club. Auxiliary revenue also includes revenue from the various service lines such as housing, hospitality, transportation, bookstores and the Radisson Hotel at USC."

https://about.usc.edu/files/2017/12/USC-Financial-Report-2017.pdf

Last edited: Oct 12, 2018 at 6:15 AM
  3. Ngdoug

Ngdoug New Member

WeAreSc Member
    Oct 12, 2018 at 6:00 AM
    I dont get it. This university has at its core and a tradition of winning football. If they don’t care as much about that why are they spending so much money to upgrade the coliseum? If they don’t sell tickets how is that going to help? As I grow older things make less and less sense. Cmon SC, lets get it together damn it!

4. sctrojan2006

sctrojan2006 Junior Member

Oct 12, 2018 at 7:24 AM
    I think it is more like, USC is a Research University at its core with a football program that has a winning tradition.

5. Alfa1

Alfa1 Junior Member

Oct 12, 2018 at 10:21 AM
    And the latters importance diminishes yearly.

6. DaFireMedic

DaFireMedic Junior Member

Oct 12, 2018 at 2:27 PM
    Percentage wise, maybe not. But the football program still brings in tens of millions in revenue every year. This in an “amateur sport”.

And the football program apparently has some value to them and the big donors/investors if they are laying out some $270 million for the renovation of the Coli.

7. Trojack

Trojack Junior Member

WeAreSc Member
    Oct 12, 2018 at 3:52 PM
    The same reason people re-model their kitchens. It adds value to their real estate holdings. If the university is able to cover the expense of the upgrade by selling luxury boxes, naming rights, and memberships in support groups, there is no need for us to be more than an 8-4 or 9-3 program every year. The amount of revenue football brings in even in down years is enough to cover the expenses of running the entire athletic department, which is all the university wants anyway, and it's chump change compared to the university's other revenue streams. To the BOT, football is the toy store and nothing more.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2018 at 5:27 PM
  8. Troy70

Troy70 Junior Member

Oct 12, 2018 at 5:09 PM
    BOT will sit in the Tower. They may not notice 45k crowd, may not care if HH wrongs more $$$ from boosters starting 2021 or 22 I think I was told

9. TrojanHorse

TrojanHorse Junior Member

Oct 12, 2018 at 5:16 PM
    She doesn't want it. Has made it clear. Suppose she could change her mind.

There is a full search underway.

10. DaFireMedic

DaFireMedic Junior Member

Oct 12, 2018 at 7:16 PM
    You make a good point. I just wonder if they will have difficulty filling the Coli with a consistently (if it comes to that) mediocre football team. I also have to think that the boosters who support USC football are also fans of the team who want to see a winning team on the field. I doubt that they are only concerned about having a nice suite in which to watch the game.

11. PacTrojan

PacTrojan Junior Member

Oct 13, 2018 at 7:36 AM
    I was really trying to point out that the President of the University will have higher priorities on her/his plate when it comes to the school's revenue streams. It's really the Athletic Director that has to worry about the health and finances of the football program. Also, I'm not a fan of Lynn Swann - as AD. I think he'd in over his head and has zero experience in knowing what a successful Athletic Department looks like or how to run one. I really hope that he leaves soon after the new President takes over, and that he/she will hire a new AD that knows how to lead and management a large Athletic Department within a top tier private university.