IMHO Sunday: Trojans Holiday Bowl bound, but Folt and Bohn need national championship experience

Discussion in 'GarryP's Trojan Huddle' started by Greg Katz, Dec 8, 2019.

1. Poodlemothra

Poodlemothra Junior Member

Dec 8, 2019
    The Trojans are already about 10,000 leagues under the Sea. Not much further to drop.

2. Exocet 98

Exocet 98 Active Member

Dec 8, 2019
    This is the future for USC, 2nd tier toilet bowls as long as Paris Helton is the HC.

3. Greg Katz

Greg Katz Junior Member

Staff Member
    Dec 8, 2019
    HI desertfoxx. If Harrell leaves, I think Slovis will stay not only because the kid is smart, intelligent ,and loyal, but he loves USC, wants to get a USC degree, and he will be good in almost any offensive system at this point even if Harrell goes. IMHO, I think at this point that even Helton would have a hard time justifying JT being the starter in 2020. We don't know how Daniels knee will be when training camp opens, and there is no question in my mind that if Harrell stays at Troy, Daniels will be the backup to Slovis. Greg

4. Conquestluvr

Conquestluvr Junior Member

Dec 8, 2019
    I don't expect it, but if USC gets embarrassed at the Holiday Bowl, would it be too late to make a coaching change?
    Also, do you expect Pendergast to return next year? If not, when will he be let go?

I contend that if Folt and Bohn are satisfied with Helton, they are probably satisfied with Pendergast so I think he stays.

We know that Helton wants both Pendergast and Baxter to stay.

Yale likes this.
  5. GoSC1

GoSC1 Junior Member

Dec 8, 2019
    I understood why it was important to have a non-SC AD hire, but there was a risk. The risk being that the AD wouldn’t ‘get’ SC meaning that SC plays for championships, not just to ‘finish strong’. Helton’s retention makes a liar out of Bohn, if you ask me.
    It is painfully obvious that the retention was the wrong move. Articles were written about it way before the decision was made. Unfortunately, it became Urban Meyer, or maybe Bob Stoops or nothing

1stNGoalSC and Yale like this.
  6. Yale

Yale Points Member

Dec 8, 2019
    My dad took my brother and I to games and walked us around campus starting in 1951...SC has been always will be # in both our hearts even if they are now broken.

Ventura Trojan likes this.
  7. biglouie

biglouie Junior Member

Dec 8, 2019
    If they care we will see top DC and LB coaches and an expanded recruiting and analysis staf .
    Otherwise they will be on the next fire the president and sports AD posters due out in May.

8. BigGuard

BigGuard Junior Member

Dec 8, 2019
    This needs it own thread!

Ventura Trojan likes this.
  9. TrojanTenor1

TrojanTenor1 Junior Member

Dec 8, 2019
    They will,... they better for their sake.

10. J4SC75

J4SC75 Junior Member

Dec 8, 2019
    Greg, very nice article and a lot of great points. I do, though, want to make a few points.

First, we have been this way before. Mike McGee, God rest his soul, had no respect for SC tradition. It showed in his hires and in comments he made during his tenure as AD. He hired Larry Smith, who also had no appreciation for the tradition at SC and finally was fired. Recruiting became an even worse disaster with Smith than what we're seeing now - our football alumni were steering kids to other schools. (Maybe that's happening now).

Folt does have experience at a school with championship expectations, although not in football, and basketball expectations at UNC are the same as football at SC. Folt did hire Mack Brown, who did beat SC twice while he was head coach at UNC in the 90s, so she did make a move to better the UNC football team. Bohn knows better about high quality sports as well, having been a part of overseeing an excellent basketball program at UC and helping elevate the Bearcats in football. I don't think either really believes what they are telling us publicly about Clay Helton.

That being said, I really don't think the problem is with Folt and Bohn. I think they are the spokespersons, but the problem is higher in the SC administration, including the Board of Trustees. I can't imagine why they see athletics at SC as so unimportant and that's the answer all of us should be demanding.

I currently work for the University of Virginia, which has some parallels with USC. No, UVA does not have a rich football tradition, but it is a strong academic university (ranked close to SC), has a large endowment (close to the one SC has), and runs a significant health system (like SC does). Whereas at SC it seems that athletics are being put on the back burner, UVA is making them a centerpiece for the university. UVA developed a master plan for athletics that truly is trying to do everything to make every sport successful. This involves improving facilities, hiring quality coaches, and supporting all of these efforts with resources. UVA won two national championships last year, in basketball and lacrosse. Their baseball team has been to Omaha and won. Their Olympic sports have done well and they scored near us in the Sears Cup in recent years. Their football team, with no tradition, won their division in the ACC this year. Yes, they got blown out in the ACC championship, but they did it with 2 and 3* recruits and now the 4* kids are starting to come. Bronco Mendenhall is their coach and he has a plan that has taken a 2-10 team to being a 9-3 team in just a few years. Where is SC's master plan? We don't have one is the answer. The reason we don't has nothing to do with Bohn or Folt, it is because of the lazy asses that are sitting on our Board of Trustees obviously do not see it as important. It didn't matter when we had an AD who was familiar with SC tradition and it obviously doesn't matter when we have folks who are not familiar with SC tradition. Something has to change at the top, and it's not only a great football tradition, it is the historic athletics tradition we have enjoyed for decades and decades.

11. TrojanTenor1

TrojanTenor1 Junior Member

Dec 8, 2019
    I like and agree what you have to say, is there your a way you can direct your posting to Bohn and Folt themselves, I'm sure they must have email, twitter and Facebook too. Otherwise how will they know how us Fan base feel. Just preaching to the choir here.

12. desertfoxx

desertfoxx Member

Dec 8, 2019
    Thanks Greg for your perspective on Kedon.. I love the kid
    No matter how dark things are Kedon is a bright line (515 yards is 515 yards )

Greg Katz likes this.
  13. heyrev

heyrev Junior Member

Dec 9, 2019
    What an excellent post. Thanks for taking the time for good content and insight. I agree wholeheartedly with developing a thoughtful master plan for the Athletic Department. Presently, it seems like a wandering nomad looking for a place to land. It's begging for leadership.

14. Esthersar

Esthersar Points Member

Dec 9, 2019
    Do you think Haden and Swann "got" SC?

15. Cardinal&Gold

Cardinal&Gold Junior Member

Dec 9, 2019
    https://www.espn.com/college-sports/story/_/id/9326348/former-colorado-buffaloes-ad-mike-bohn-blindsided-school-decision

Mike Bohn resigned from Colorado because he couldn't turn around the Football Program.

"Colorado struggled to gain any traction in football, with Bohn firing two coaches and pushing a third out the door". ESPN

Sound familiar? He's poor at evaluating head football coaches. We hired someone's baggage from an organization that was not even top tier.

https://www.denverpost.com/2013/05/28/kiszla-mike-bohn-forced-out-at-cu-because-of-money-football-record/

"Bohn constantly tried to sell the notion CU was on the verge of something big, and never quite delivered". Denver Post

Sound Familiar: He's a politician

https://www.change.org/p/mike-bohn-fire-mike-bohn-university-of-colorado-at-boulder-athletic-director

https://www.facebook.com/pages/category/Community/FIRE-MIKE-BOHN-302397299860125/

Sound Familiar: There were several Fire Mike Bohn campaigns during his time at Colorado

Nothings changed once a lying hack always a lying hack.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2019
  16. vikings4123

vikings4123 Points Member

Dec 9, 2019
    Facing a few uncomfortable realizations...if it is true a deal had been reached with Urban Meyer AND THEN, within 24 hours, Ms. Folt was fed info that the Fed is going to bring new bribery charges...
    1) it begs the question if there are saboteurs in the admin ranks in HH,
    2) the additional charges, if true, are not affected by having a new HC with wide powers...one is past, the other the future.
    3) most troubling of all, she is not interested in being bold and will take the politically correct move all the time.
    4) we are, indeed, entering a new era of mediocrity on the football field.
    Sad. Ennui abounds.

Ambrosia Harwood likes this.