IMHO Sunday: Trojans can't tackle the Irish in painful loss

Discussion in 'GarryP's Trojan Huddle' started by Greg Katz, Oct 12, 2019.

2. Rodgarnay51

Rodgarnay51 Junior Member

Oct 12, 2019
    Glad you mentioned Krommenhoek. He played well tonight. He made some catches and his blocking has really improved. He's nowhere near the class of the Domers' TE as a receiver but overall I thought he did a good job.

I think you should give it up for Slovis. That guy played a great game and is a real talent.

gubo&palanka likes this.
  3. Trojansare1

Trojansare1 Member

Oct 13, 2019

4. Trojansare1

Trojansare1 Member

Oct 13, 2019
    With a better coaching staff he can really flourish this coaching staff is really bad

gubo&palanka likes this.
  5. Trojansare1

Trojansare1 Member

Oct 13, 2019
    with a better coaching staff he can really flourish this coaching staff really is bad

6. User1234

User1234 Junior Member

Oct 13, 2019
    Hey "Gregster;" I like your new format on the post game columns. Do you think that GH discovered Stepp sufficiently to make runing the table a possibility. I was with you on the 2-4 prediction and still don't see us running the table.

Greg Katz and gubo&palanka like this.
  7. SC87

SC87 Points Member

Oct 13, 2019
    Kudos to Slovis, Stepp and WRs. I think the Irish will be glad to see them leave town. Did anyone have any doubt, though, that the D was going to give up the game ending TD? Poor tackling, bad angles, and a maddening inability to contain the QB. I'm not sure if Rector is injured but he was lumbering like Frankenstein trying to flee from the villagers. Painful to watch ND players run past him like a statue. And Houston we have a problem. Houston is constantly out of position when the QB steps up in the pocket, as BYU and others have done time and again, and run 30 yards before being touched. A moral victory though because ND is a much better team than anyone left on our schedule.

gubo&palanka likes this.
  8. Troy70

Troy70 Junior Member

Oct 13, 2019
    Clay should have fired Clancy when he did ‘ ND’ make over of staff. SC will lose to teams who have a QB that can move. Excuses are for losers

gubo&palanka, RPBSC and uscjrl98 like this.
  9. gubo&palanka

gubo&palanka Points Member

WeAreSc Member
    Oct 13, 2019
    I don't feel so bad about this loss because I didn't expect to win. I turned it off after the 1st quarter and just listened to the Trojans radio network. It feels like The Streak and I am old enough to have learned not to get as worked up as I used to.

I have a question for Greg or anyone on staff. How is it that many college football teams can defend the outside runs and presumably not always get fooled by jet seeps or end arounds, but USC can't do it?

Are our four and five star defensive players incapable of learning or executing? Are the coaches incapable of teaching it?

This is season four, game six. When is somebody going to teach it or execute it?

DaFireMedic and Troy70 like this.
  10. Greg Katz

Greg Katz Junior Member

Staff Member
    Oct 13, 2019
    Hi Merlin4SC. To be honest, there is nothing that Markese Stepp did at Notre Dame that he doesn't do in practice. I know that I have this comparison into the ground, but Stepp is a true LenDale White clone. While I do like the other two backs in the USC backfield, it's painfully obvious that Stepp is an NFL talent. IMHO, politics with upperclassmen come into play, but all things equal, Stepp should be starting and getting 15-20 carries a game. Markese can be the great equalizer that defenses have to pay attention to if the Trojans are going to be pass first. Thanks for contributing to the message board. Greg

11. Greg Katz

Greg Katz Junior Member

Staff Member
    Oct 13, 2019
    Hi gubo&planka. You raise a very good point. Is the Trojans' problem of containing the edges on defense a player or coaching problem? It's Defense 101 that defensive ends or outside linebackers - depending on your defense - stay disciplined, stay at home, and never over pursue. I believe that Christian Rector has been told this many times, but he seems to think about being a hero and getting after it, which opens him up to misdirection and reverses. How does a coach solve the problem? He benches the player with somebody who will stay disciplined. In the case of Rector, it's hard to bench a team captain, but it's even harder to watch this issue over and over again. Thanks for your comments. Greg

12. gubo&palanka

gubo&palanka Points Member

WeAreSc Member
    Oct 13, 2019
    I'll push my luck with another question. Why don't our punt team players know where they are on the field? Aren't they taught to put their heels on the goal line and prevent the ball from crossing the line? Especially when it takes a cherry hop right to them!

13. Greg Katz

Greg Katz Junior Member

Staff Member
    Oct 13, 2019
    Hi again gobo&palanka. This isn't the first time that punt coverage has been put into question. In the ND game, it seemed almost comical that Ben Griffith's punts have been left "hanging" with the coverage. Not to be an excuse, but either John Baxter isn't make his point strong enough or the players are not executing what they are taught. It's all the sign of an average team, and that's one of a number of reasons the Trojans are 3-3. Greg

User1234 likes this.
  14. desertfoxx

desertfoxx Member

Oct 13, 2019
    Greg
    Thank you for your efforts on our behalf .. your insight is most interesting
    This past few weeks I finally realize that USC will no longer be a major player on the national collegiate football scene
    We have been an underdog three games in a row and double digit the last two
    I feel those who run the school view the Pete Carrol era with disdain and have said never again
    The administration and even the alumni do not have the appetite to commit to what it would take to compete with the big boys
    The fact that coach Helton still has support is all you need to know
    Change the coach .. ok ... unless that coach is an elite proven winner of major championships any change will have a marginal impact
    Pete Carrol era ...never again .. truer words were never spoken
    Sorry to say you are stuck covering a mid level football program

Greg Katz likes this.
  15. Lyn the Duck

Lyn the Duck Junior Member

Oct 13, 2019
    How does USC have two penalties for 44 yards? In college, it can't be done. In college, the most expensive penalty is 15 yards.

16. JC SOXX

JC SOXX Junior Member

Oct 13, 2019
    Why can't we put Falaniko in and take Rector out? Rector needs to be on a inside rotation and Falaniko is better than Echols (see 30 yd run BYU). Speed off the back side is a big problem for any QB.

17. Cyrus

Cyrus Junior Member

Oct 13, 2019
    I can't figure this one out either. One penalty was the bogus game changing roughing the passer call for 15 yards. I don't remember the other penalty. There was some kind of unsportsmanlike penalty given to both teams at halftime due to a scuffle just before the half. Was that a 29 yard penalty?

18. SCnAZ

SCnAZ Junior Member

Oct 14, 2019
    Yep, that’s right!

19. JC SOXX

JC SOXX Junior Member

Oct 14, 2019
    He stayed home, the guy went right around him. He is way to slow for the outside. The DE or the OLB goal is to sack the QB on either sides of the ball. On a reverse, make the play in the backfield not in open field, make him go as wide as possible.

20. slystone72

slystone72 Active Member

Oct 14, 2019