IMHO Sunday: The survey says...

Discussion in 'GarryP's Trojan Huddle' started by Greg Katz, May 9, 2021.

2. gubo&palanka

gubo&palanka Points Member

WeAreSc Member
    May 9, 2021
    1. Can you imagine Alabama crowing about how Nick Saban had a physical practice? LOL

Sad when you have to remind people that you hit in practice.

2. Slovis for Heisman? I will be content if he stays healthy and in one piece.

3. "If Mike Williams had an advantage over London, it’s the fact that Big Mike was helped by having a potent running attack to keep the defense fairly honest while London obviously does not have a running game to help him out."

Same with QB health. If Helton and Harrell don't fix this issue, everything else is effected.

Last edited: May 9, 2021
    Hockey10 and Rodgarnay51 like this.
  3. J4SC75

J4SC75 Junior Member

May 9, 2021
    SC record: if better than 9-3, the coaching has been good. 9-3 if coaching is average/mediocre. Less than 9-3 would reflect poor coaching. Also less than 9-3 would mean we likely lose the Pac 12 South and that by itself would justify a change in coaching. Hard to say who a great replacement coach would be, I like your choices, but have a feeling there will be other names that come up. Some very good assistant coaches will be available, Herman should be in the mix (Texas is a very difficulty place to coach). My guess is that attendance will be 75% of whatever is maximum, will go down if we lose a game, especially early in the season. Slovis is quite good, but the hype for the Heisman will be elsewhere, especially someone playing with a top 10 team and I doubt where are in that mix. London has a shot at the Biletnikoff, but the bias, again, will be on players east of the Mississippi.

Rodgarnay51 and gubo&palanka like this.
  4. Troy70

Troy70 Junior Member

May 9, 2021
    Long time fan Andy has supplied me with my favorite games on dvd so I can enjoy SC football. Think tv will reveal 35-40k crowds at Coli. My Trojan rich neighborhood poll has long time season ticket holders not going .Fear Folt will think a PAC South is good enough so waiting for SC to announce new HC before going to Coli with family.

Rodgarnay51 and gubo&palanka like this.
  5. TrueTrojan

TrueTrojan Junior Member

May 9, 2021
    kinda typical of the BS that trojan fans are tried of by now. Slovis as heisman? lmfao. get a grip on reality man. QB's from 7-5 football teams don't win the heisman. If slovis is still healthy at the end of teh season it will be a miracle. but he isn''t going to win the heisman.
    The fact that we have to HIGHLIGHT that we , wow gosh good golly, are actually having physical practices shows what a ridiculous state this program is in. Could you imagine t OSU saying "we actually had a physical practice today!!" ??????????

I don't know anything about drake london except he seems ot be a good athelte wasting his time with clay helton. You can't compare him to MIke williams because mike williams played for a real coach on a good team that had a defense and a competent OC

6. Rodgarnay51

Rodgarnay51 Junior Member

May 9, 2021
    One player who has not been wasting his time with Helton is Drake London. He's caught a lot of passes already and he's going to catch a whole lot more before he's through at SC.

7. Rodgarnay51

May 9, 2021
    Wow, great column Greg! Lots of great info and food for thought.

While I think you're spot on with most of your survey answers, I disagree with you on a couple of them.

1) I say 9-3 whether Slovis stays in one piece or not.

2) With the caveat that he does not get injured, which is no certainty, Slovis is going to light it up this year. He will not exhibit any signs of PTSD. I think he will be a serious Heisman candidate.

I think the Trojans are going to have a good season, so we're playing with house money. If the Trojans win a lot it will be a fun year, and it they don't Helton will (or at least should) be gone. I don't think Folt and Bohn can prop him up any longer.

Thanks again and Fight On!

Greg Katz, Canyon, J4SC75 and 3 others like this.
  8. Bilbo

Bilbo Points Member

May 9, 2021
    9-3 with this coaching staff and roster would be a notable achievement. At USC in 2021 this would be considered a wonderful season
    Since this weeks theme is quiz shows
    Question
    What bowl game do we go to and who ends our season at 9-4

gubo&palanka likes this.
  9. GoSC27!

GoSC27! Points Member

May 9, 2021
    Great write up!
    First things first, I think we need to look at the existing schedule. It is very favorable and Helton lucks out again, just like last year. I would personally disregard the Win Loss 2021 record and set the goal of winning the PAC12 championship and get to a new year’s day bowl game. I know Bohn’s goal is to compete for National Championships, but that isn’t going to happen with Helton at the helm. Helton got a free pass last year as both the Alabama and Notre games were taken off the schedule because of COVID. His only away game was Utah, and 2 or 3 games could have gone either way. So go 5-0 win the PAC12 south only to lose the PAC12 championship and voluntarily bow out of a bowl game. Good for Helton, frustrating for the fans.
    As for Kedon’s Heisman campaign, why not? The cost of the billboard is the same as Notre Dame putting up their billboards of local kids attending Notre Dame. If I had to chose how I spent my marketing money I would rather spend it on a Heisman campaign then the stupid billboards Notre Dame is putting up. First, it shows kids why they chose SC in the first place and second it promotes your program even with an inept coach at the helm. Maybe it will also inspire the OLine to better protect their Potential Heisman hopeful as the media will definitely be watching. Who knows?
    As for Drake London, he is definitely a kid that can change the outcome of a game as demonstrated in our shortened season last year. Ok he is playing against defenders in a weak Power 5 conference. While that maybe so, he is doing it in a dominating fashion. He is also doing it to our own kids in spring practice. And yes he should be a candidate for the Biltnekoff award. But for his individual sake, meaning elevating his draft status, is moving him to Wideout going improve his development. Does he have the speed necessary to compete with other wideouts as that is the latest critique. If he moves back to the Tight end position can he be that great run blocker too? What about moving him to the slot? Lots of questions, but what is Helton and Harrell doing to also improve his draft status, meaning development?
    Lastly, regarding the new transfer rules. Henry To’o To’o just committed to transfer to Alabama. Saban stated it earlier that with the new rule in place, the elite teams maybe the biggest beneficiary of the rule changes, meaning the rich will get richer. Well Alabama got a good one. For some reason, I thought maybe we had a small shot, but then as other posters have summed it up Saban or Helton, you make the call!
    Fight On!

10. J4SC75

J4SC75 Junior Member

May 9, 2021
    A few comments: The defensive and special teams coaching is actually very good. I still have doubts about Harrell and the Air Raid, but overall a better coaching staff than you suggest. Only one game that we're likely going to be underdogs or at least substantial underdogs to, and that's ND at South Bend. A very good season is 11-1 or 10-2. Less than that suggests that Helton has missed again as head coach or some disaster has occurred to a key player, like losing Kedon to season-ending injury. If we are 9-3, unless we lose to two or more OOC games, we have lost the Pac 12 South and there are at least two teams ahead of us in bowl games. We can hope there is a super team that goes undefeated and goes to the CFP, a second ranked team would go to the Rose Bowl, and that would leave SC going to the Las Vegas Bowl or Alamo Bowl. If there are no CFP teams from the Pac 12, then drop SC to the Alamo or Holiday bowls.

gubo&palanka and Rodgarnay51 like this.
  11. GoSC27!

GoSC27! Points Member

May 9, 2021
    Sorry just had to ask, in an earlier post you suggested Herman as a possible replacement as HC. If you like what Orlando and Navair are doing, I highly doubt they both would continue should Herman return as they both were let go by Herman.
    I do think Herman can coach, but when he got to Texas he did some pretty memorable things that I think he would like a do over. The one I recall was at mealtime where he grouped his players into high performers, average, and needs improvement. The high performers got the best meals prime rib, etc.., the average kids got hamburger, and the needs improvement got the leftovers. I maybe over exaggerating about the leftovers, but the kids were identified and served meals according to their performance groups. This was used as a motivator to encourage kids to move to the high performance group. Some may feel this acceptable behavior, but I thought that was kind of weird. He was also arrogant, but maybe he had to be to try to elevate his program to a higher level. But that also sets you up for a harder fall, like he did in his last days at Texas.
    Then there are the Matt Campbell’s of the world, that truly loves his kids and they will try to knock down walls for him as a coach. He loves his job and his university. He was very fair in his contract renegotiations. He never boasts, but just handles his business quietly and let’s his actions speak for itself. No ego just a hard working blue collar guy that loves to coach football. Some are projecting that they will be in the running for the CFP this year. Just a stark contrast to Herman!
    Fight On!

12. Rodgarnay51

May 9, 2021
    I want no part of Tom Herman at SC.

pgoodman, gubo&palanka and RPBSC like this.
  13. AZTrojan38

AZTrojan38 Points Member

May 9, 2021
    I'm only asking the question...should Helton and the team falter this year and a change at head coach finally made, while I believe Luke Fickell, Matt Campbell and PJ Fleck are all SIGNIFICANT upgrades over Clay Helton, my question is are any of these three names really that exciting to So. Cal kids, their parents and the Alumni? Do we feel any of these three would all of a sudden change the recruiting landscape of Southern California by building an impenetrable fence around our area? Would any of the three be able to go head to head with Saban, Sweeney, Smart, Fisher, etc with our current roster? I just don't know that any of them could.

I know I'm going to sound like a broken record here but my hope and prayer is that after 1 year of losing in the NFL in a shit town like Jacksonville, Urban Meyer comes to his senses, realizes he's a collegiate coach and not an NFL coach, negotiates a buyout to get out of his contract and moves to Los Angeles to coach USC for the next 4-5 years and leaves us with our version of Ryan Day to run the show when he's gone.

gubo&palanka likes this.
  14. GoSC27!

GoSC27! Points Member

May 9, 2021
    As long as Folt is President, UM will never coach at SC! We had our chance and UM does not have to beg for a job even if he fumbles at Jacksonville! Again, just my opinion!
    Fight On!

15. Troy70

Troy70 Junior Member

May 9, 2021
    Recall Coach O telling MMQB that after beating Furd the team got ribeye steaks. That roster was so thin walkons needed to play vs ND during meaningful time,not just at end

gubo&palanka likes this.
  16. J4SC75

J4SC75 Junior Member

May 10, 2021
    I doubt that our current assistants, or at least more than one or two, are retained by any new coach. Mentioning Herman was simply to say he likely would be considered. He was very successful at Houston, but as I said coaching at Texas is another thing altogether. He has definitely made some missteps, though he did turn things around in year one. He does have California roots, coached under Urban Meyer. Mack Brown is doing quite well at UNC after sliding at Texas. That being said, I like Matt Campbell a lot; just not sure he would want to go to the West Coast. There are Clemson assistants who would be worth taking a look at given their work, as well as a few other up and coming coaches in the Southeast. Urban has been mentioned, but I really don't think he'll give the NFL up after one year.

17. pgoodman

pgoodman Junior Member

May 10, 2021
    I for one am glad that we did not play Alabama or Norte Dame last year. I think that speaks volumes of where our program is. We should always be chomping at the bit to play a Rival line Notre Dame and as for Alabama Coach O would have had the boys competitive at a min. I would have feared for Slovis against Alabama in all seriousness.

18. AMLTrojan

AMLTrojan Junior Member

May 10, 2021
    "The survey says..."

Did someone say cervezas?!? I'm in!!!

19. J4SC75

J4SC75 Junior Member

May 10, 2021
    I think it's all about going into local high schools, meeting coaches, and treating them with respect. Remember Pete Carroll was not a big name coming to SC, hadn't coached in college in forever. It's all about making connections with high school coaches and doing things for them - come to campus, give them back ideas, strategies, etc. Compliment them publicly. Get the coaches and you will get the kids. This is how Ed O became such a great recruiter.

Troy70 likes this.
  20. Poodlemothra

Poodlemothra Junior Member

May 11, 2021
    Agree, it's nothing but pre-season hype and spin to suggest Slovis has any real chance of getting a sniff of the Downtown Athletic Club in NY.