IMHO Sunday: Hanging on again for openers

Discussion in 'GarryP's Trojan Huddle' started by Greg Katz, Sep 1, 2019.

2. GoSC27!

GoSC27! Points Member

Sep 1, 2019
    Greg,
    I know you are too
    humble to all the posters that questioned your articles pertaining to negativity, but you called it. You said that by mid season there would be another QB leading the team. You were off by 5 games, unfortunately at JT’s expense. You also warned us about the Oline as you always caveated that even though JT was allowed to continue the plays during practice and scrimmage, he really would have been sacked if not for his yellow vest. Well there was no yellow vest tonight.
    My frustration is with Clancy’s defense. I know there is talent there, but how the hell does Fresno State record more offensive yardage then us. Then there is the repeat conversions of 3rd and long and 4th and long. Just like Callaway, I feel Clancy’s time has expired and he needs to go. I know for a fact both Saban and Kelly would not hesitate to pull the trigger.
    Lastly there is Helton, who said that he would be hands of on the offense and defense. He said his primary job would be game management and discipline. Well he failed on both fronts tonight. How quickly he spins the conversation to Palo Mao’s interception. Even the announcers were saying how Palo Mao saved Helton’s ass tonight.
    I know you are not one to gloat, but you saw this coming amidst all the crap you took from posters. Good write up as usual, very humble, but truthful.
    Fight On Greg!

3. usc88

usc88 Junior Member

Sep 1, 2019
    Have you seen Helton manner out there?
    Mouth open and eyes wide open
    Looks panicked while the other HC is confident.
    He can’t think on his feet

bobdrake, PickSicx, biglouie and 5 others like this.
  4. KeenObserver

KeenObserver Junior Member

Sep 1, 2019
    Greg you can skip the Helton quotes, I won’t read them. Everything out of his mouth is Pollyanna coach speak. You could take any post game for the last four years and just change the people he’s talking about.

5. Bored of Clowns

Bored of Clowns Points Member

Sep 1, 2019
    I know my "realistic" view of this team is often times viewed as "negative", but seriously...nobody wants to see the return of rough, tough, angry SC "football players" flying around the field, pounding the opposition...more than I do. Question: Does anyone who has a modicum of knowledge/experience (even a tiny bit) about competition or leadership, in ANY field of endeavor, believe that this clown should be a head coach at any school in the FBS? He's getting paid $Millions to look like a punch-drunk fighter, wandering the sidelines, begging to get involved ("put me in coach...put me in").

He finally got his chance to make that one decision to directly affect the outcome. Fourth and 1, under three minutes. He ran the clock down (good move, Clay). I'm thinking he might just do the right thing. He called time out (that's good, Clay). After the time-out, he lined up in non-punt formation (oh, you're gonna try to draw them offside; probably won't work, but ok, Clay). Then they SNAP the ball?? We all know the result. Why 7 yards back? Was that big horse RB not available to get that yard? How about that formation with the back-up center lined up as a fullback? Even better...why not use your awesome punter (not that impressive, btw) and make them drive the field in the last two minutes? Oh yeah...because your DC is just a little less incompetent than you are. That D gave up almost 500 yards to a very mediocre FS offense and QB. However, at times, that QB looked like Vince Young out there (over 350 yards of total offense). BTW, if he had spent half a second looking right and kept Pola Mao home, we might be having a really interesting "conversation" on this thread right now (heads-up play by Isaiah).

Been saying it all off-season...when Swann-song kept Gomer, who kept CP, that doomed this season to mediocre at best ("It's the defense, Stupid!"). All is not lost though...Clay said "we have things to clean up." Where have we heard that before?? Interesting that he didn't say "We WILL clean up our mistakes". Yes, it was the first game (remember, it's just a GAME)...but has anything really changed on the sidelines? Oh well...on to Stanford. Let the insults begin!

Last edited: Sep 1, 2019
  6. SoCalN8tiv

SoCalN8tiv Junior Member

Sep 1, 2019
    Thanks Greg : ) As you know, you and I were on the same page about the QB situation. I had my fingers crossed Daniels wouldn't go down but did expect it to happen - unfortunately it did but the knee is a tricky and unpredictable thing. With that said, JT came in looking pudgy, which is why I think he didn't do what was necessary to properly sculpt his body being that he knew this was going to be a pocket passer friendly offense. Obviously, Helton applied his usual underhanded politics to get the result he wanted from Harrell. I don't want to pretend to read Clay's mind but the order of the QBs said it all about his insipid strategy. We're just seeing the results of a bad coaching decision.

Fight On! Beat the Farm!

7. uscjrl98

uscjrl98 Junior Member

Sep 1, 2019
    Socal. The underhanded politics comment is more prevalent than most of the general public will ever know. From Callaway getting a paycheck for ruining our o-line to Helton lying about the QB depth chart. I have some sources that confirm your statement. Helton looks out for Helton first. The team second.

ConquerorSC likes this.
  8. Tommytrojanrules

Tommytrojanrules Banned

Sep 1, 2019
    if practices are not tuffer than games a team will fade in the second half. Thats on Helton . If a team fails to adjust to what the other team is dealing out they will probably lose regardless of any lead they have built up in the first half. Thats also on Helton. There are other issue but those to me are a good place to start

9. SCnAZ

SCnAZ Junior Member

Sep 1, 2019
    Inconsistent, is the word for the night. Sloppy play, untimely penalties, the same ol thing. Clean this up and maybe the team can go somewhere

Kaptain Karl and Troianus Acies like this.
  10. Tommytrojanrules

Tommytrojanrules Banned

Sep 1, 2019
    Its sad because the players on SC are top notch. Its too bad I cannot say the same about the coaching staff. The players deserve more .

uscjrl98 likes this.
  11. old scotty

old scotty Junior Member

Sep 1, 2019
    Driller should name the sources

12. SPYDER67

SPYDER67 Points Member

Sep 1, 2019
    Another glaring weaknes that I noticed, was the so-called improvement in conditioning wasn't very noticeable. The D line looked pretty stout in the 1st half. 2nd half not so strong. Jackson is a future All American for sure, if he stays healthy.

13. usc88

usc88 Junior Member

Sep 1, 2019
    Can't see why Helton coached teams cannot play in the second half like the first.
    It was too obvious last year.
    The other coaches make some adjustments and Helton does not.
    The second half the other team comes from behind to win.
    Why this this so?

bobdrake and Troianus Acies like this.
  14. Troianus Acies

Troianus Acies Junior Member

Sep 1, 2019

Thank you for making it quite simple and quite clear...this team looks no different then last years team riding a downhill only roller coaster.

A 6-6 season for Troy seems a long reach at this point for all the same reasons that have been talked about on this forum for the last two years.

15. uscjrl98

uscjrl98 Junior Member

Sep 1, 2019
    I happen to be an attorney. What is your problem.

16. uscjrl98

uscjrl98 Junior Member

Sep 1, 2019
    An attorney whose partners have represented USC in malpractice claims. Again I ask what is your problem.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2019
  17. uscjrl98

uscjrl98 Junior Member

Sep 1, 2019
    I can’t disclose my sources. You as an attorney should know this. What is your deal. I don’t even know you. I think you may be mistaken.

18. TrojanTracker1

TrojanTracker1 Active Member

Sep 1, 2019
    The only thing that could save this season is the (very) weak Pac-12. It would be possible to have a 5-4 league record and finish the season 7-5. This first week is an indicator that the Pac-12 continues slide in to second rate status. Wins against "national powers" U.C. Davis, Eastern Washington, and New Mexico State, but losses to Auburn, Oklahoma State, Hawaii(!), and Cincinnati(!!!). USC could very well turn out to be a mediocre team within a mediocre conference.

19. desertfoxx

desertfoxx Member

Sep 1, 2019
    Depth of talent better than I expected
    Harrell a definite plus
    Clancy is who he is very average
    Helton is who he is . Incompetent and worse dishonest .. just like his old man
    6-6 .. would be surprised if that good a record in 2019

pgoodman likes this.