IMHO Sunday: Future USC expectations - euphoric hope or an unabashed predicament

Discussion in 'GarryP's Trojan Huddle' started by Greg Katz, Jan 10, 2021.

2. Troy70

Troy70 Junior Member

Jan 10, 2021
    Huge Q is what kind & respected OL Coach comes toSC.

3. gubo&palanka

gubo&palanka Points Member

WeAreSc Member
    Jan 10, 2021
    1. If I hear Helton say the word championship one more time I will vomit.

2. "It should be assumed, IMHO, that when the coach is talking about being the best offense in the country, he is taking into consideration the proven balanced offensive powerhouse levels of an Alabama, Ohio State, and Clemson."

This is the word! Helton is out of his mind because we are not in the the same class as these programs.

3. Now that, according to Adam Schefter, Meyer is assembling a staff for Jacksonville, I would like to know how close we really were to hiring him. Was he ever considered, was he asked, did he talk to Bohn or was it just some rumor?

Trojanfan1963 likes this.
  4. CO4SC44

CO4SC44 Points Member

Jan 10, 2021
    Greg, as always to the point and factual. Just on the initial stats you provided, he has failed and failed according to his own definition of success. I do hope Bohn has a plan. As with a sinking ship the Captain is the last to depart, but in our case much too late. Bohn will not have any other choice. ( we hope). I know our voices had been heard, but are they listening? Sales for everything are tanking. I think 2021 is a critical time for USC football. Fight on!

gubo&palanka likes this.
  5. Trojanfan1963

Trojanfan1963 Points Member

Jan 10, 2021
    Since we apparently are not replacing Helton, can we at the very least, bring in someone like a Norm Chow who can advise the offensive staff on how to successfully attack the defense (any defense). Nobody on this staff seems capable of figuring it out. It’s really pathetic that we cannot run for one yard when we need to. I just hope we don’t lose some of the defensive coaches that were brought in, they appear to be improving play on the field and with recruiting.

Troy70 and gubo&palanka like this.
  6. JImmytheGreek

JImmytheGreek Junior Member

Jan 10, 2021
    That picture scares me.

gubo&palanka likes this.
  7. usc1011

usc1011 Junior Member

Jan 10, 2021
    Helton and Corey F first meeting to discuss the improving program.
    Hi coach! Can't wit to get out there and sack some O butt.
    Corey....I been watching lots of film.....you might fit right in at safety. How bout losing 50 pounds.

8. BeachFAN

BeachFAN Junior Member

Jan 10, 2021
    Like a broken record, this same topic keeps playing.

Let's be clear.. right now, the on field success of the USC football team means little to nothing to the administration and Bohn is nothing but a one a legged man in an a$$ kicking contest.

Whether or not fans like it or not, Helton is going NO WHERE. I predict that, baring any illegal activities (murder, rape, extortion, etc) occurring directly from his actions, Helton will be coaching USC football until his contract expires. Period.

Why? Remember, Folt is 70, she in no way wants to stir up any bad news to end HER career and she's not going to be here forever.

This car is in cruise control until a new President is hired... exactly when Helton's contract expires.. ugh

Relax.. it's only 3 more years :)

Troy70 likes this.
  9. LoyalTrojan

LoyalTrojan Junior Member

Jan 10, 2021
    I read that LA Times interview with Helton. I really hate how political he is as he doesn’t like to give the fans any information. It really amazes me how many of the high profile programs that have made coaching changes, we read about the many different coaches they are looking at. With Helton and USC, we never hear a peep as to who they are going after for the OL coach and the S&C coach. I’m sure Helton doesn’t want the info out there so he can avoid scrutiny. Just frustrating as a fan....

gubo&palanka likes this.
  10. Bilbo

Bilbo Points Member

Jan 10, 2021
    I agree with beachFAN .. same old topic that leads to the same answer
    Helton has to be positive that I understand.. I know the goals he supposedly aspires to he in not capable of attaining
    the man simply is not qualified to do his job
    GK
    is there any chance of you doing an interview with Dr Dolt to get the view of football relevance at USC in the opinion of its president

Rigged4fun and gubo&palanka like this.
  11. Dartmouth

Dartmouth Points Member

Jan 10, 2021

The point of positivity should not even be discussed, he gave a human response, a response filled with perpetual hope. How does a parent respond to a 4 year old living in utter poverty, who says "mom I would like to be president when I grow up"

That's right! we paint the best picture possible regardless of our possible reality.
    Thank you Clay for painting a colorful picture to the seeming disappointment of so many.

12. Alvaro Carrillo

Alvaro Carrillo Points Member

Jan 10, 2021
    Harrell has no idea how to fix the running game. Helton says he is committed to improving the offense. But when asked about the QB going under center on 3rd/4th and short, he responds “that’s just not us.” How can you be committed to improve when you refuse to adapt? The situation becomes even more critical in 2021 with the departure of AVT. He was our rock on the OL. Now that we have no naturally talented guys on the OL, coaching becomes even more important.
    What good OL coach would come to SC when he will be handcuffed by the air raid? To begin to see any change, we need to hire an outsider. If he has an air raid background, we are screwed. If he has any ties to Helton, we are screwed. He needs to be made run game coordinator and take the run game away from Harrell. Harrell needs to be forced to adapt. Think it’s a long shot? The administration has shown they are willing to make any changes, short of firing Helton.

gubo&palanka likes this.
  13. SC93er

SC93er Junior Member

Jan 10, 2021
    The Times reporter blew the interview by not addressing the issue of “championships.” Helton quite clearly has reset the USC standard to winning Pac 12 championships. Nowhere in his responses did Helton give even a whiff of an impression that the goal is, and has always been to compete for NATIONAL championships. Instead, he talked about “falling one game short” and “having a little bit more to do to hoist the trophy.” (Imagine Coach Pete being satisfied with winning the Pac title in any given year.) The reporter let Helton off the hook by not calling him out on this.

These are of course two very different standards, and Helton should not be allowed to muddle them in his interviews and press conferences. We are so obviously nowhere closer to being competitive with the current national powerhouses than we were when we got clobbered by Alabama at the start of Helton’s tenure. In that light, no amount of Helton-spin can possibly paint a picture of anything but consistent, abject failure.

OC2SC and gubo&palanka like this.
  14. Troyview

Troyview Points Member

Jan 10, 2021
    When does Bohn hold his head coach accountable for some of his statements. Over time I have heard from the head coach about improving and working on the “run game” , balancing the offense and a per game rushing target north of 100 yds per game ( The humber I recall was with either 175 or 125 yds per game)? Having never been near the big stage or a championship contender, Helton has no clue how to manage to that objective and meet that goal.

That to me is the pathetic part of Helton, he blabbers happy talk and then goes back to his Division 2 roots trying to impress the local town folk of his team’s footballs flying around the field to keep them entertained and compete with the local movie theaters on Saturday nights or the local high school on Friday night.

I’m sure we’ve all noticed Helton is no where to be found at headline events to boosters or even SC athletic events. That’s sad by itself, an athletic department is afraid of the fan reaction to their football head coach and thus keep him in his basement. What other major program has to hide their head coach for fear of fan reaction?

Let’s hope this mystery is over soon and we can move on to bigger and better things.

OC2SC likes this.
  15. BigRex

BigRex Points Member

Jan 10, 2021
    It's not as though USC continues to win Pac 12 championships but fails in the College Playoffs. It isn't getting either. One conference championship in the last decade. All USC teams in the last decade with massive talent advantages over the rest of the Pac 12.

16. BigRex

BigRex Points Member

Jan 10, 2021
    Great article, and it is both hope and predicament. Let's look at the wildest wild card in USC history--Kedon Slovis. None of us knew how good he would be as a true freshman. None of us knew what Hufanga would grow into. None of us could have guessed how bad the OL would be. And, no one predicted Slovis would come back with the apparent symptoms of an injury. None of us could have predicted he would be injured again on the last play of the season. There is a real possibility that he will never reach his freshman form again.

There is so much hope with this recruiting class. What if Foreman turns into a Thibodeaux? What if a couple of those DB's turn into Hufangas? What if one of the WR turns out to be just as good as London?

One problem is that USC is just going to have to weather this storm. The class of 2021 will probably not be prepared to contribute much as true freshmen, maybe not even Foreman. If they don't contribute and the OL line comes back as bad as everyone thinks they will, USC could easily go 4-8 in 2021.

17. BigRex

BigRex Points Member

Jan 10, 2021
    The dilemma with the OL coach? I really don't know how that is to be solved. None whatsoever. Think of how a coach considering USC would look at the situation: Here is what he would think.

1. I already have great success where I am, and great job security.
    2. If I go to USC, the chances are great that I will lose my job in a year because the HC will probably be fired.
    3. If I go to a program that has an Air Raid offense, it might be so poorly run that no matter what I do, I won't be able to fix the OL.
    4. USC's new OL recruits are three star, which means that in games that matter, I would be matching my three star OL against other teams 5 star DL. That wouldn't make me look good.
    5. My forte is teaching run blocking, and USC may never practice the running game much at all Monday through Friday, guaranteeing that I will fail in public.

I think the situation is pretty dire with the OL coach problem.

OC2SC likes this.
  18. GoSC27!

GoSC27! Points Member

Jan 10, 2021
    I think you just summed it up pretty good! Who would want to come here under Helton, unless you were just fired? I am beginning to feel that Bohn is not stupid, but the administration has tied his hands with retaining Helton, so he is doing all he can outside of that. He is really working and and earning his paycheck considering he is handicapped by Helton!
    Fight On!

19. GoSC27!

GoSC27! Points Member

Jan 10, 2021
    Bonn’s other option is to find a guy like Mario, who is an Oline coach by trade and dangle the carrot in front of them as Helton’s possible replacement!
    Fight On!