IMHO Sunday: A sobering media perception

Discussion in 'GarryP's Trojan Huddle' started by Greg Katz, May 5, 2019.

2. GoSC27!

GoSC27! Points Member

May 5, 2019
    Another great timely article. In many of the recent threads there have been the battling of the sunshine pumpers and those that have a more realistic view of the program as it pertains to Helton as our head coach. The sunshine pumpers state that 2018 was an off year, we had many injuries, etc, etc, and 2019 is a brand new year and we should give Coach Helton the benefit of doubt.
    Yes there are some good things going on with our program, like the hiring of Harrell as our OC, plus some other assistant coaches that seem to be making an impression with our kids, but Helton’s track record to start 2019 was very shaky. First it started with the firing of several assistant coaches who were actually doing active recruiting the night before, that seemed to frustrate some parents, then we had the Kingsbury fiasco, then we lost some highly prized recruits, one even signing with us then immediately turning around and transferring in the portal. We then lost more kids to the portal thus further depleting our receiving corp. We also had the admission scandal although no fault of Helton, but that just added fuel to the fire for the media to continue to look unfavorably at our program. Added to that, last week our first player was taken in the third round and only 4 players were drafted that raised questions about our player development.
    With all these shortcomings it is not hard to see why the media is looking at our program accordingly. I have said previously to these pumpers that the posts on Helton on this website are a lot more lenient then other sites. You also made a great observation as it pertains to Helton saying that he is “Pissed” and the players are “Pissed!” He also said in October of 2018, “I can’t wait for you to see this team in November!” I would even go back to summer of 2018, where he said that the OLine would not be a problem and that they would be much quicker and more versatile because they got experience playing multiple positions. He also affirmed in one of his pressers that Neil Callaway was one of the top OLine coaches in the nation. A month later after a meeting with Lynn, Callaway was let go? Huh, and many of the pumpers are saying that was Helton’s decision versus a Swann mandate? One week Callaway is the one of the best OLine coaches in the nation and another week he is being let go? Helton’s credibility has to be questioned!
    So these pumpers are basically using the proverb if you have nothing nice to say about Helton don’t say it as these threads are just a reflection of negativity. My response is that we are not creating the shortcomings of our program. People are reporting and at the end, all arrows point to Helton and his deficiencies. So should we be surprised about our post spring rankings? I don’t know, but I will also add that I also hope alongside our pumpers that our 2019 season is a vast improvement over our 2018 season, but at the same time it is hard to buy into that because in my opinion Helton has already lost a lot of his credibility!
    Fight On!

3. SoCalN8tiv

SoCalN8tiv Junior Member

May 5, 2019
    Wth! Why do I keep waking up so darn early! I need a vacay...

Anyway, I'm suspecting that Bush & Leinart got a talking to by the Fox brass. "The backdown..." Yeah, riiiight guys. Uh huh, *wink* *wink*...got it ; )

Islander 4 USC likes this.
  4. 023lenlen

023lenlen Senior Member

May 5, 2019
    Lets face it, since JRI our only true elite Trojan teams were five years of PC, preceded by 10 forgettable years, after JohnMc and JRI. Getting back to elite is not a foregone conclusion

RDTK, gubo&palanka and Alfa1 like this.
  5. usc88

usc88 Junior Member

May 5, 2019
    Again a good article.
    Trojans are where they should be after 5-7 season.
    To get back into top 25 should be goal. To become elite is the step after.
    Helton seems to get the message that a winning season is needed from getting canned.
    A lot is riding on Harrell and his new offense.

6. redeye

redeye Points Member

May 5, 2019
    "The negative off-season pub and the stench that accompanied it was the perfect storm of not coming close to the elite standards of USC football set by the likes of Howard Jones, John McKay, John Robinson, and Pete Carroll."

"Winning is a great deodorant." John Madden

Greg Katz and Islander 4 USC like this.
  7. Merlin4SC

Merlin4SC Junior Member

May 5, 2019
    Maybe now we are getting a glimpse of what the "Air Raid" is supposed to mean. Not just the balance being toward passing the ball, but the up tempo style of Oregon's with little rest between plays and quick plays? I don't know what that's going to do to us for the sorely needed 3rd down efficiency and I would hate to not fully use some of the best running backs on the west coast. Thoughts Greg?

PS. I wish it was 2002 again for us to contribute to band uniforms and have to agree on the wasted limited view seats.

Last edited: May 5, 2019
    DaFireMedic and eliminator207 like this.
  8. priam7

priam7 Junior Member

May 5, 2019
    We have to prove ourselves .....It's that simple....Winning will solve all our problems....!

9. uscvball

uscvball Junior Member

May 5, 2019
    And apparently if you do tend to the more realistic, you are miserable, don't enjoy life, and have the wrong perspective on how to approach USC football.

Helton's track record so far is a lot of talk, some of it bizarre frankly, and not enough walk.

The biggest issue for me from last season is the absolute lack of adjustments both during games and overall during the season. To come out after a miserable game performance where the players looked disinterested and unmotivated and say "they fought like warriors" was baffling. I don't suppose adjustments would be made if that's what he really thought he saw.

People should experience USC Football in whatever way works for them. A realist or more passionate fan can still be quite a happy person and enjoy life. When you've put in time, money, loyalty....it's more than a game and that's okay. I remember a conversation I had with another poster some years ago and we were wondering what it was like to be able to wake up on a Saturday morning during football season without that anxious feeling. I see people who appear calm and going about their business and wonder what it's like because I'm waiting for the radio pre-show, waiting for the game, waiting....because that's the way it's always been. It isn't "just a game" to some of us.

Last edited: May 5, 2019
    SC ForLife, gubo&palanka and Pudly76 like this.
  10. Arhedge

Arhedge Junior Member

May 5, 2019
    Anybody who’s been paying attention doesn’t need the preseason mags to sober them up. Recent USC football is the most effective 12-step program yet developed.

But it is striking just how little regard the national media has for a program with top-5 tradition and a roster of players that virtually every coach in the country wanted.

Merlin4SC and gubo&palanka like this.
  11. GoSC27!

GoSC27! Points Member

May 5, 2019
    Totally agree we have coveted players, but I think that statement needs to be qualified further.
    Although we have coveted players I do not think we have coveted players in certain key positions specifically the Oline. I still believe if we had a decent Oline last year and without Toa at center we would have won more games.
    I blame this on Helton and his persistence to keep Callaway on staff. If we got an Oline coach that could recruit, motivate, and develop our kids, I think Helton would be in a different space perception wise right now.
    Second, let’s go back to Greg’s post. Do you think we would be ranked if we had a different coach. To Greg’s point are we getting downgraded perception wise because of our players or possibly because of our head coach. Just say for a minute if Urban was the headcoach, do you think we would be perceived differently, hence what I was alluding to from Greg’s posting. Hell maybe we probably might have broken into the top 25 with Harrell at the helm.
    One really had to wonder?
    Fight On!

gubo&palanka likes this.
  12. gubo&palanka

gubo&palanka Points Member

WeAreSc Member
    May 5, 2019
    Outstanding column. Too many right on the money lines to re-quote to emphasize how true they are.

Love the new format with many more pictures. Nice change to all the content.

Merlin4SC, SC200SC and Greg Katz like this.
  13. 3rd Slide

3rd Slide Junior Member

May 5, 2019
    Did any of these actually breakdown - beyond the obligitory basics - the team and the changes occurring between last year and this year? This seems to me to be strictly an extrapolation of last year's performance based solely on the fact that Helton is still the HC.

This assumes that:
    1) Graham Harrell is no better than Tee Martin was;
    2) Drevno is no better than Callaway;
    3) Coach K is no better than CKU;
    4) Greg Burns is no better than Bradford;
    5) Helton will micro-manage and fuck everything up; and
    6) Our players are no better than last year and, despite all the coaching changes, there will be no player development.

I'm not of the opinion that we're going to the playoffs, but I see it as:
    1) Items 1-4 above are all significant upgrades;
    2) Helton has to have been told to delegate and stay out of the way (or at least recognize he'll be gone mid-season if he doesn't);
    3) Our players are no worse than last year and the likelihood for development is much greater now; and
    4) No one in the Pac 12 is all that good (so our schedule isn't as tough as people think).

I couldn't care less about starting outside of the top 25 but believe that, at a minimum, we're not far outside it (maybe upper 20's).

If all this makes me a sunshine pumper, than so be it.

14. KANDI11

KANDI11 Junior Member

May 5, 2019
    Some of us get labeled Sunshine pumpers because we point out the constant complaining from the same posters. It’s become a daily thing no matter what the post is about.

DaFireMedic and Pudly76 like this.
  15. gubo&palanka

gubo&palanka Points Member

WeAreSc Member
    May 5, 2019
    Sounds like a straw man to me.

Merlin4SC likes this.
  16. TrojanHorse

TrojanHorse Junior Member

May 5, 2019
    I would rather come into the season with lowered expectations from the media and exceed them than vice versa.

3rd Slide and Pudly76 like this.
  17. SoCalN8tiv

SoCalN8tiv Junior Member

May 5, 2019
    I'm sure 5-7 already took care of that.

DaFireMedic likes this.
  18. TrojanHorse

TrojanHorse Junior Member

May 5, 2019
    Sure and that's the other side of it. Why would any one be surprised that the media doesn't expect much from us this season?

Pudly76 likes this.
  19. SouthbayTrojan91

SouthbayTrojan91 Junior Member

May 5, 2019
    This is what really drives me crazy.
    If you say it, do it, otherwise don't say it in the first place.

TheRealAirbns and gubo&palanka like this.