IMHO Saturday: Trojans "Fink" on No. 10 Utah

Discussion in 'GarryP's Trojan Huddle' started by Greg Katz, Sep 21, 2019.

2. GoSC27!

GoSC27! Points Member

Sep 21, 2019
    Great write up Greg! You called it, but did you think we would be on our third QB in 4 games? I am glad that Slovis’s injury is not permanent because our 4th string will be a walkon safety! I guess a lot of credit goes to Graham as he said it best, his offense is very simple, hell it was installed in 3 days and it masks a lot of our deficiencies!
    I think Wittingham stated it best in his postgame that they just did not execute when they needed too. First they did not make defensive adjustments playing man coverage on our receivers and Fink made them pay. They only adjusted in the second half. The box score does not lie. We gave up over 450 yards in total offense. They imploded in the red zone twice on a fumble and tackle by Johnston on Huntley. Both times Johnson came in from the same spot unimpeded. Then there were the untimely penalties. I know the penalties were equalized, but there’s seem to be untimely.
    I saw the same problems in the BYU game, no edge containment (discipline), poor tackling (it says a lot when Tufanga has logged the most tackles), and lastly the inability to run the football, with the exception of our last drive with Malepai and Stepp. I am not sure why Stepp is not utilized more.
    Again, great victory for the kids. Fink will remember this game for the rest of his life. Pittman got well deserved exposure with NFL scouts. Hell even Griffiths got his first punt over 50 yards and pinned one on the 10. Again the kids played hard and fought, but I really think this was about Utah self destructing. If Utah runs the table, Wittingham will go back to this game if he does not get a major bowl bid. Like I said thank god for no do overs. Thanks for the reporting as I know it has been a long day. At least you have 6 days before your trip to Seattle!
    Fight On!

3. KANDI11

KANDI11 Junior Member

Sep 21, 2019
    If Vaughns continues his route then his guy is nowhere near St Brown to make that interception.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2019
    gubo&palanka likes this.
  4. TrojanHorse

TrojanHorse Junior Member

Sep 21, 2019
    Matt Fink: "this team is stacked. You have the best players in the nation here. I’m saying that SC is on the rise. We have guys that are going to push us to the top here.”

I guess he's a Sunshine Pumper

5. Bored of Clowns

Bored of Clowns Points Member

Sep 21, 2019
    Bless his heart. He was a little excited.

DaFireMedic and TrojanHorse like this.
  6. djgcue

djgcue Junior Member

Sep 21, 2019
    Great article, gives a nice perspective of how lucky SC was to pull off a win. Utah beat themselves.

A lot of posters here don't like Urban, but watching him last night, I kept wishing he was on our sidelines. I just hope he doesn't end up down in Westwood!

Ztrogan likes this.
  7. miker1

miker1 Junior Member

Sep 21, 2019
    I cringed every time I read Hundley. But then you wrote Huntley at the end of the article. Honest mistake? Or intentional?

8. Ztrogan

Ztrogan Points Member

Sep 21, 2019
    Another great recap! I was at the game last night and to be honest with you it was a great win, but the feel in the coliseum was ho hum...I think it was mostly due to he fact that Helton gets ANOTHER stay of execution! The one thing you missed is the Trojans won in spite of the bafoon we have on the sidelines! We have the talent...no doubt, but as I sat there last night you could just see we do not have a coach or staff for that matter to take us to the next level. We were negative rushing yards until 7 min in the 4th! I get it “air raid” blah, blah...but you have two horses on the sideline that can run the ball (maybe 3 if you count Carr who had a rough day). Why not use them early get the D guessing...but no 3rd and 1 they go deep wheel route?? It is just frustrating and don’t even get me going on the penalties! Some were complete BS bad officiating, but some were simply lack of discipline...aka coaching. These wins are bitter sweet...I’ll continue to take them, but it hurts because the clown gets another life.

FIGHT ON!!

miker1 likes this.
  9. gubo&palanka

gubo&palanka Points Member

WeAreSc Member
    Sep 21, 2019
    Is Stepp a RS sophomore already?

Is it Hundley or Huntley?

10. Troy70

Troy70 Junior Member

Sep 21, 2019
    Didn’t feel like a win.

11. reTiredEngr

reTiredEngr Junior Member

Sep 21, 2019
    "When Slovis went down with what appeared to be a “ding” (AKA concussion) and Matt Fink entered the game, didn’t some word that begins with the letter “S” or “F” enter your mind?"
    Oh Shoot! No more Sears! It's up to Fink! Fight on!
    :-)

12. TrojanHorse

TrojanHorse Junior Member

Sep 21, 2019
    Technically, Fink is even a four letter word.

sctrojan2006 likes this.
  13. WillingToConquest

WillingToConquest New Member

Sep 21, 2019
    Watching last night's bizarre, bittersweet win was truly one of the strangest experiences of my 32yrs as diehard Trojan alum & fan.

Did Kyle Whittingham magically metamorphose into Bill Parcells and his troops into the 1991 World Champion New York Giants? By dominating time of possession (38.12 to 21.48'), rushing yards (248 to 13) and hard hitting D-line that pancaked poor Kedon Slovis into a head injury, I coulda swore I was watching those fiery Giants, er, Utes defang the high powered Buffalo team in SB XXV.

Only the inspired play of Matt Fink and our best-in-America receiving corps coupled with our "bends like Beckham but still doesn't break defense" (gassed from spending nearly two-thirds of game time on the field) saved us.

No- I am not one of those virulently anti-Clay cranks. Gentleman Clay is admired by friends & foes for his consummate professionalism and for the exemplary job he's done as an ambassador for our university.

But four yrs after he took the reins from the (never shoulda been hired) Steve Sarkisian, the trademarks of Trojan play speak louder than the Coliseum used to sound during the 7yr heyday of the Pete Carroll era. Poor tackling , undisciplined/preventable penalties and, very often, the galling lack of "killer instinct." I've lost count of how many games where we've jumped to a double-digit lead only to let the opponents hang around long enough...to beat us.

The postgame coverage on Fox Sports was both beautiful AND bitter.

Watching Matt Fink get misty eyed as he sat between Trojan legends Reggie Bush & Matt Leinart, bookended by our presumed HC-in-waiting Urban Meyer had me both dabbing my eyes (for Fink's majestic moment) and reaching for the antacids!

Reggie and Matt were THE principals behind much of the grandest run in program history: Seven straight seasons of league titles, 11+ wins and top 4 or higher finishes. Not to overlook 4-1 in 5 Rose Bowls, 2 Orange Bowls, 2 Heisman Trophies (you try telling me Reggie wasn't the most incandescent player in America in 2005!), 2 national titles and within a yard of the only 3-straight national titles in NCAA history!

So- Watching those two program stalwarts recap the game, bookended on one side by ND QB Brady Quinn (who came within a "Bush Push" of snapping our second longest win streak) and by Urban Meyer (who would cinch our return to championship glory AT THE EXORBITANT cost of setting back our Nat'l conversation on domestic abuse), left me feeling loopier than, um, Todd Marinovich during his Raider days!

I badly want USC to reclaim its throne atop college football. But not at the cost that hiring Meyer would extract. Our fine university has more than enough scandal and controversy on its hands to compound matters by choosing the holier-than-thou (while enabling spousal abuse & off the field larceny of his staff/players) Urban Meyer!

If Clay doesn't save his job by winning the requisite 10+ games (and I bet our rigorous schedule and bad habits will sabotage him), here's hoping President Folt hires a proven, experienced AD then lets the new AD hire a coach worthy of our program yet up to the challenge of resurrecting it.

For me, that list includes names like James Franklin, Lincoln Riley and possibly Pat Fitzgerald or Mark Dantonio. Ditto NFL head coaches Jay Gruden, Mike Tomlin and John Harbaugh (latter three listed in order of expected availability).

Fight on, Trojan Family!

Peete2Affholter and miker1 like this.
  14. WillingToConquest

WillingToConquest New Member

Sep 21, 2019
    *For the record- My comments re: our "second longest win streak" should have read: "our second longest in NCAA history win streak."

15. Greg Katz

Greg Katz Junior Member

Staff Member
    Sep 21, 2019
    Hi miker1! Are you sure you didn't stay up too late to read the IMHO? I mean you might have thought you read Hundley when it's really Huntley. Check again, my friend:) Greg

16. Yale

Yale Points Member

WeAreSc Member
    Sep 21, 2019
    Matt or Jack ,both can pass, pass on the run , and run . The BYU GAME PRESENTED MANY OPPS FOR A RUNNING Q/B, SLOVIS DID NOTHING . If Matt or Jack had played last yr SC would have won at least 4-5 more games. Talk is cheap and that's hellton,all talk,never keeps his word ,promises,etc...at least SC has some decent coaches improving this team and great athletes ...SC will do well with a q/b that can run/scramble, if not forget it.

Butcher22 likes this.
  17. Conquestluvr

Conquestluvr Junior Member

Sep 21, 2019
    I am not sure it is fair to call the win " lucky".
    Utah was lucky that Slovis went down early, and both of Utah drives that ended in a turnover and on downs were extended by unsportsmanlike conduct penalties. Both drives should have died outside the 30 yard line.

I think the luck factor balanced out.

18. DaFireMedic

DaFireMedic Junior Member

Sep 21, 2019
    It wasn’t all luck. We executed when we had to, and the defense made big plays when it had to. Utah didn’t give us that safety. Utah didn’t give us multiple long passes to Pittman. Utah didn’t give us a 3rd string QB that just happened to be a gamer who could scramble and throw under pressure.

We did have some things go our way, although some things didn’t. Regardless, Utah didn’t give us that game. Our guys made the plays that they needed to to win.

Troy70 likes this.
  19. miker1

miker1 Junior Member

Sep 21, 2019
    Very well said. I'd add whittingham sp? And Peterson (if he'd atill consider it)