How come you posters are so horrible at recognizing talent?

Discussion in 'GarryP's Trojan Huddle' started by flyfishintrojan, Dec 28, 2019.

1. flyfishintrojan

flyfishintrojan Junior Member

Dec 29, 2019
    Lets bet.

2. USCSAE

USCSAE Points Member

Dec 29, 2019
    Remember Groots amazing measurables...?

There is so much more to it than what you are identifying as better athleticism and size. It does look different when kids are playing fast, aggressive and physical, but it’s not the natural difference in size and speed that you think.

I’ve been partaking a little too much during the holidays, but I think I’m starting to like you Fly. Just remember a great SC can recruit nationally and at an NC level. Say it 10 times brother.

3. uscvball

uscvball Junior Member

Dec 29, 2019
    There are basically 3 components to speed.

1. How often you contact the ground 2. How much muscular force you can deliver during ground contact 3. How much ground contact time is available to deliver that force.

They can all be addressed.

Read Underground Secrets To Faster Running by Barry Ross.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2019
  4. heyrev

heyrev Junior Member

Dec 29, 2019
    Fly, come on, discuss this with some good faith. I never said our kids were track stars--I said there was raw speed, meaning it was present in adequate numbers to play faster. Again, knowing your system well enough to function aggressively and attack your opponent results in playing faster. Announcers use the term playing "downhill", as in clear assignment football. We don't do that, period. I don't know how to coach that personally but from what I observe, many DC's do if they have the raw talent. That, we have, imo.

5. flyfishintrojan

Dec 29, 2019
    Ok, lets see how our best does vs. Wisky.

I want know what happened to SoCal high school running backs? Where is our Sam Cunningham? Marcus Allen? Ricky Bell? They do not exist anymore. Who are the SoCal kids at RB in the NFL? Ricky Williams, Terrell Davis, Rashaan Salaam? Gaston Green, Freeman McNeil, Deshaun Foster?

Big kids who could run.

bell likes this.
  6. drheisenberg

drheisenberg Junior Member

Dec 29, 2019
    Bet what? You haven’t seen your feet since the Clinton administration.

August West likes this.
  7. flyfishintrojan

Dec 29, 2019
    Just for grins, I say I am a better athlete than you. What are your best sports?

8. racea911

racea911 Junior Member

Dec 29, 2019
    So you don't want to argue with Urban Meyer?

9. drheisenberg

Dec 30, 2019
    You are an athlete and don't understand how people get faster and stronger with training. Uh huh.

10. flyfishintrojan

Dec 30, 2019
    You said with proper coaching Carr would become a monster. I say no.

upload_2019-12-30_13-27-49.jpeg upload_2019-12-30_13-27-49.jpeg

Carr already is pretty darn buffed, so what magic is there to get him faster and more elusive? Yes you can get stronger but faster is much more difficult and lifting weights is not the answer.

11. CFB Fan

CFB Fan Junior Member

Dec 30, 2019
    Sorry, but you're born with speed. Most coaches will tell you that you can't coach speed. Has to do with fast twitch muscle. Yes you may work on improving technique say for track to shave a tenth or two of a second off your time, but that goes out the door when you're flying around free form in a tackle football game. Then it is natural speed ability that takes over.

12. 909trojan

909trojan Junior Member

Dec 30, 2019
    We learned from Coach Clay. The guy who started toa at center bad snap after bad snap. The guy who started browne until darnold forced his hand. The guy who had pittman on the bench until his father said something. The guy who started houston three years before he was close to being ready.

btw, props on predicting the blowout. I actually overestimated Helton as being an average coach. Boy was I wrong.

13. uscvball

uscvball Junior Member

Dec 30, 2019
    What coaches? Certainly not coaches who do it for a living. Straight sprinting and football are two different things, I agree, but did you ever notice that the best running backs, and sometimes WR's, were all track stars at one time?
    Lifting weights alone won't make anyone faster. However, focused weights AND sprinting will result in a faster football player.

“My consensus is that individuals that excel at sprinting are a genetic anomaly to begin with. Not to take away credit for the hard work they put it, but they were born with potential that the rest of us were not.” This is the quintessential belief of every hard-working Caucasian weight lifter in the world. I train speed and speed is a skill. All skills are inherited. Lack of skill is inherited too. All skills can be improved, even elite skills."

http://trackfootballconsortium.com/strength-vs-speed/

14. Trojans2015

Trojans2015 Points Member

Dec 30, 2019
    Ohio State’s best offensive lineman is from St John Bosco. Another starter on the OL is from Utah. The best OL in the country is also from Utah and we lost out on him head to head to Oregon. Funny how other schools actually get high rated prospects from the West to live up to their ranking.

15. zitorocks

zitorocks Junior Member

Dec 30, 2019
    There are plenty of drills that can improve speed. There are many that enhance the "fast twitch" muscles and improve the musculature that produces explosiveness. Much like one can train to jump higher (like in basketball). It's true that some people have natural abilities that get them far, but they can be caught by people with less natural ability who train harder. Those with the natural abilities who also train harder than everyone else can maintain that gap. I would like to see our athletes spend a lot of time doing squats, sprints with sleds, and core workouts. Most of the elite sprinters in the world have huge thighs (quads and hamstrings) along with strong gluteus maximus and core muscles.

16. drheisenberg

Dec 30, 2019
    Yes abs is what makes people faster. Jesus Christ people are stupid. Through training I've become a lot faster both on the foot and the bike. And I'm in my 40s. The idea that training doesn't increase speed might be the most stupid thing I have ever seen on the internet. I guess USC track team shouldn't practice. Just show up for races. Because according to the other genius, you are "born with speed."

17. flyfishintrojan

Dec 30, 2019
    Actually, I don’t really notice that. Occasionally I see track stars, Bob Hayes, Earl McCullough, OJ, Isaac Curtis, become good football players but lots of sprinters try and fail at football, IMO.

18. KeenObserver

KeenObserver Junior Member

Dec 30, 2019
    BTW Carr had major back surgery. He was blinding fast his freshman.year Ask any athlete who has had back issues.ot completely changes how you use your core.

This is just another of flys lame theories of California football that we all had to suffer reading these past 10 years.

19. zitorocks

zitorocks Junior Member

Dec 30, 2019
    That's often because they spend so much time relying and training for speed that they do not train enough for route running and catching a football, which is much more difficult than many of us think it is...when you're wearing pads, a helmet, and the ball is coming at you at about 50-60 mph. Dexterity, balance, position awareness and hand-eye coordination are just as important skills as the speed. Also, there's a difference between sprinting/straight line speed and explosiveness...the speed you need in football is more shuttle run type speed than it is sprinting speed.

20. KeenObserver

KeenObserver Junior Member

Dec 30, 2019
    Renaldo Nehemiah may have one of the worst receivers in NFL history

flyfishintrojan likes this.