Herm Edwards ASU Another team to watch in recruiting

Discussion in 'GarryP's Trojan Huddle' started by Cardinal&Gold, Jan 6, 2020.

2. Trojans2015

Trojans2015 Points Member

Jan 6, 2020
    https://247sports.com/Season/2020-Football/CompositeRecruitRankings/?InstitutionGroup=Highschool&State=CA

In the 247 composite, ASU has 7 of the top 30 players from California. Oregon and Washington have 4 each. 10 are going to top programs from the SEC (Alabama, LSU, Georgia), Big Ten (Ohio State and Michigan), or Clemson. Note that in saying LSU I'm counting Elias Ricks, who is from SoCal and went to Mater Dei until his senior year but is counted as a Florida prospect on 247 because he transferred to IMG.

Troy70 and Cardinal&Gold like this.
  3. Cardinal&Gold

Cardinal&Gold Junior Member

Jan 6, 2020
    Yikes it's even worse than I thought. Solid research. Thank you.

I've heard several recruits say Herm Edwards and his staff are the season they picked ASU.

ASU looks like it is building something exciting.

What's worst is they are a Pac 12 South Team.

Oregon is building something in the North.

At the same time USC is trending downward in recruiting.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2020
    gubo&palanka likes this.
  4. reTiredEngr

reTiredEngr Junior Member

Jan 6, 2020
    If I remember correctly, there were some doubts about his hiring at the time.

Cardinal&Gold likes this.
  5. BESCFAN

BESCFAN Junior Member

Jan 6, 2020
    Dr. Folt needs to pull her head out of her @ss, get over her "integrity crush" of gentleman Clay, allow Bohn to kick Clueless to the curb and get a real proven coach at SC before the 2021 early signing period - recruiting problems will be fixed almost overnight. That ignorant Dr. Dolt may not have a choice as the heat index brought upon the USC administration is going to be equivalent to standing on the sun after the Bama beat down - national embarrassment number we've all lost count under Helton. Add the massive loss of revenue and half-empty Coliseum, she will have painted herself into a corner with this dumbfounded and inept decision to retain this clueless idiot Helton for 2020. Hopefully that PC snowflake can't take the heat and resigns or takes early retirement.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2020
    gubo&palanka, Cardinal&Gold and OC2SC like this.
  6. qqqqqqqman

qqqqqqqman Junior Member

Jan 6, 2020

Herm Edwards is a legit ex-NFL coach with huge recruiting skills....anyone who downgraded him was just talkin’ sheit.

He’s a major step up over what we’ve got.

gubo&palanka, Cardinal&Gold and DJ4SC like this.
  7. 101Coast

101Coast Points Member

Jan 6, 2020
    I still doubt his coaching ability. What he has is what I call the "mouth", which is no disrespect intended but is someone who has the ability to talk a lot. That and he is seen as a father figure to black kids and parents (by talking a lot). Those things will get guys to come. He still has to win and put players in the NFL to sustain his tenure. He won't be the next Utah in my opinion.

8. 101Coast

101Coast Points Member

Jan 6, 2020
    They all said Clay had legit recruiting skills too at one point...

9. Jay4usc

Jay4usc Points Member

Jan 6, 2020
    ASU coaches have NFL background and can better develop players compared to USC where 5 stars never develops or gets injured

gubo&palanka and Cardinal&Gold like this.
  10. Alvaro Carrillo

Alvaro Carrillo Points Member

Jan 6, 2020
    5 of the guys that signed with ASU are skill position players. They would have had a hard time getting playing time at
    SC anyways. Their coaches can recruit though. Much better than ours right now.

gubo&palanka and Cardinal&Gold like this.
  11. qqqqqqqman

qqqqqqqman Junior Member

Jan 6, 2020
    Exaggeration to make your point? Who’s “they all”? LOL

Helton is a good guy, but he also needed Tee Martin and Johnny Nansen to close the big deals.

12. heyrev

heyrev Junior Member

Jan 7, 2020
    In all fairness it would be difficult for Tony Robbins to recruit a limo driver with as much uncertainty as Helton has hanging over his head right now. I've never seen a coach set up for more failure, especially recruiting.

CP619 likes this.
  13. Trojans2015

Trojans2015 Points Member

Jan 7, 2020
    Still worth pointing out that we offered all 7 of those guys, and all the WRs are higher rated than Jackson, who we took. Daniyel Ngata is also a really good RB, he's better right now than any of our backs IMO with the possible exception of Stepp. Banks is also a guy we could have used at LB and Norman-Lott is a 4* DT which we could always use.

Overall, I would agree missing on the guys they got doesn't hurt as much as some of the guys we lost out on to Oregon (particularly Flowe), Washington (Murao especially), or the OOC programs collectively, but in general it's a pretty pathetic state of affairs if ASU is pulling in 7 of the top 30 in-state players and USC can only get 2. If ASU had done this while we were recruiting normally and otherwise got most of the guys we wanted, I wouldn't think too much of it beyond crediting Herm Edwards and his staff (especially Antonio Pierce) with a job well done on the trail.

gubo&palanka likes this.
  14. TXTrojan_itul1

TXTrojan_itul1 Junior Member

Jan 7, 2020
    They have former NFL coaches on their staff... they are talking development, being NFL ready, experiences and Super Bowls. This goes a long ways in the mind of a kid who is dreaming of playing in the league.

gubo&palanka likes this.