Helton Haters Are Beyond Belief

Discussion in 'GarryP's Trojan Huddle' started by conquest4ever81, Sep 21, 2019.

1. KnightsWhoSayNi

KnightsWhoSayNi Junior Member

Sep 23, 2019
    Hacketts awful tenure was mercifully cut short after only 3yrs. Unfortunately, Clay is still running the program into oblivion after 4 years.

Helton should have never even been considered for HC, let alone hired, then extended. The fact that he is still the coach is twilight zone stuff. Absurd.

uscjrl98 likes this.
  2. uscjrl98

uscjrl98 Junior Member

WeAreSc Member
    Sep 23, 2019
    With the talent Helton has yes he is the worse coach in the past 43 years. Hackett did not have near the talent Helton has. Geez Petros Papadakis was Hacketts running back. That should tell you everything you need to know about the talent Hackett was working with. When Hackett pulled off his 5-7 at least he beat the Ruins.

3. beeto

beeto Junior Member

Sep 24, 2019
    But when this talent doesn’t win its Hilton’s fault, right ?

This is the most asinine comment so far on this tread. Well, actually I only read the last page, but I’ll give this post the nod, as I don’t Think there’s a worst one. Maybe equal,but not stupider.

You can’t blame the the coach when they lose if you’re going to assert the same talent is the only one responsible for winning.

The same talent plays in wins and loses.

4. conquest4ever81

conquest4ever81 Points Member

Sep 24, 2019
    Hackett also had a guy named Carson Palmer. Btw, with the exception of last season Helton has beaten the bRuins and won the Rose Bowl.

5. x5955498x

x5955498x Member

Sep 24, 2019
    I agree with this; I've been trying to think of any reason why CH would not practice tackling and the only viable one I can come up with is that he's trying to avoid injuries in practice. Considering the number of players that sit out practices because of what seem to be minor injuries, maybe he's afraid no one will be left to practice.

6. x5955498x

x5955498x Member

Sep 24, 2019
    The Utah win was a great win, no doubt. It's been a while since I actually enjoyed the end of a tight SC game, I'm usually ready to throw a beer at the TV.

But, that game was not won because of coaching. We gained a lot of yards on hero ball passing by Fink to MP; all great plays but not ones that were successful necessarily because of coaching but because of talent. How many of those throws were MP just outplaying the DBs? Reminds me of Johnny Manziel or our last Rose Bowl Penn game, you have a dominant WR and you throw up jump balls to him. Credit to Fink and MP that they were able to get them done but that's not a great scheme. After half time, notice how those throws all started going away? Fink threw the interception, started looking tentative, we started getting the gopher lineups before snapping the ball, and the offense for the most part went into our typical "don't lose the game, 3 and out" mode for the second half.

On defense, let's just to be honest, we were saved by the ridiculous number of holding calls on Utah. Utah moved the ball well almost the entire game and that was even with the penalties! Our red zone defense was incredible, so I will give that to coaching, but the rest of the field wasn't so good. And keep in mind that they lost Moss at the beginning of the game. Drake Jackson is extremely talented, he's a game changer...and since he's a true freshman, I don't think you can credit much of his success to our coaching staff.

I love that we won that game but coaching on both the offensive and defensive sides of the ball were not the reason we won.

OC2SC likes this.
  7. Boselli

Boselli Junior Member

WeAreSc Member
    Sep 24, 2019
    Just an investment question or two:
    When we win it is not the coaching it is the talent.
    When we lose it is not the talent it is the coaching.

8. Boselli

Boselli Junior Member

WeAreSc Member
    Sep 24, 2019
    By what evidence are you assuming that the Trojans don't practice tackling? Is the press and media there for all of practice every day? I understand that practices are closed to the media well before practice stops.
    Am I wrong?

9. August West

August West Points Member

Sep 24, 2019
    Ridiculous.
    Carson spent 2 years throwing more pics than TDs, and he got hurt.
    He didn’t become “Carson” until Chow came on.
    Gomer is absolutely worse than Hackett.

OC2SC, TrojanCampaign and uscjrl98 like this.
  10. CCTrojans

CCTrojans Junior Member

Sep 24, 2019
    He's the best runner of the running backs on our roster. But this is an air raid offense and he needs to pass protect. Is he the best RB at pass protection? At catching passes? I agree that he's the best runner when you watch the games.

SouthbayTrojan91 likes this.
  11. x5955498x

x5955498x Member

Sep 24, 2019
    If they are indeed practicing tackling, it would seem by the results that whatever practicing they are doing isn't very effective. The coaching staff might want to spend some time watching how teams like Utah, Washington, Ohio State, Wisconsin practice. It seems like those teams just about always have fundamentally solid tackling.

12. bob c in az

bob c in az Junior Member

Sep 24, 2019
    yes

CP619 likes this.
  13. bob c in az

bob c in az Junior Member

Sep 24, 2019
    ver81, post: 936391, member: 3835"]Helton is the worst coach in the past 43 years? Were you in a coma during You are forgetting Ted the Hackett nightmare era in the late 90's?[/QUOTE]
    Tolner?

14. CP619

CP619 Junior Member

Sep 24, 2019
    Possibly better than Florida too.

15. x5955498x

x5955498x Member

Sep 24, 2019
    The result of a team is a combination of coaching and talent. Go drive on a racetrack. Put an inexperienced driver in a Porsche 911 GT2 and a professional driver in a Volkswagen Golf. The Golf will beat the GT2 every single lap (I've seen it).

When we win, it appears that the advantage in talent we have was enough to make up for the poor coaching. When we lose, it appears that the advantage in talent we have was not enough to make up for the poor coaching. They're not contradictory statements.

racea911, TrojanCampaign and uscjrl98 like this.
  16. uscjrl98

uscjrl98 Junior Member

WeAreSc Member
    Sep 24, 2019
    I kind of like to live in the present. I can only enjoy that Rose Bowl for so long. It does not buy you anything today. Kid's want to know what you are doing today not 2 years ago.

17. CP619

CP619 Junior Member

Sep 24, 2019
    Really? Why do I see you reference last season's 5-7 over and over and over again. Oh, and "missing the PC days".

In the present? Like 1st place in the Pac12 South?

You don't sound like someone living in the present.

Cyrus likes this.
  18. uscjrl98

uscjrl98 Junior Member

WeAreSc Member
    Sep 24, 2019
    Nothing has changed

While Clay Helton refuted the idea in his postgame press conference that USC needs to change how it practices, senior running back Aca'Cedric Ware sang a different tune.

"We've got to practice better. Period," Ware said after the Trojans 37 -14 loss to the Texas Longhorns. "Practice this week to me, to be honest, was kind of lazy, kind of slow. I feel like if we practice harder, we'll play harder. You're going to practice like you play. We've got to work on stuff like that."

19. uscjrl98

uscjrl98 Junior Member

WeAreSc Member
    Sep 24, 2019
    Where is our 2020 recruiting class ranked?

20. CP619

CP619 Junior Member

Sep 24, 2019
    Staying in the present, got it!

The Lizard King likes this.