Hearing that Urban Meyer's wife does not want him to coach again

Discussion in 'GarryP's Trojan Huddle' started by Scalum76, Sep 4, 2019.

1. denali15

denali15 Points Member

Sep 4, 2019
    The cost of living factor is overrated. So it costs a few million more for a house. With rates around 3%, what's another couple million? $5K/month? Not a problem with a FB coach's salary. Other costs (other than taxes) are more or less the same. Yes, it's more, but that won't be what keeps a top coach away. But other than Howard Jones, when was the last time USC hired a "big name" coach when they had an opening? A couple became "big name" after they were hired.

OxyTrojan, Trojan12 and uscvball like this.
  2. PickSicx

PickSicx Junior Member

Sep 4, 2019
    Well said.

If you win at USC, the upside is that you'll make so much more than you would at Ohio State, Nebraska, Oklahoma . . . just about anywhere else other than Alabama, Texas and perhaps Notre Dame. And yes, real estate costs more in Los Angeles but when you sell it, you make a lot more. Its an investment. Sark and Kiffy made money on their temporary housing situation.

You can buy the nicest house in Lincoln or Southbend or Norman or even State College for a fraction of what a nice place near the ocean will cost you here in Los Angeles. And then you're stuck living there. No thanks.

DaFireMedic and Troy21511 like this.
  3. denali15

denali15 Points Member

Sep 4, 2019
    Good point about other opportunities. You can bet that CPC got his share of calls from guys wanting to bring him in on deals.

Trojan12 likes this.
  4. J4SC75

J4SC75 Junior Member

Sep 4, 2019
    Keep your eye on Bronco Mendenhall at UVA. He is building a solid football program at UVA and UVA is not a football school. They also have had terrific AD's, so perhaps Carol should be talking with folks there about a successor to Lynn.

5. TrojanHorse

TrojanHorse Junior Member

Sep 4, 2019
    state income tax

6. AtownSC

AtownSC Points Member

Sep 4, 2019
    What about the whole "man" hole issue? We need to have that resolved before we start making offers.

7. AnnenbergGrad

AnnenbergGrad Junior Member

Sep 4, 2019
    Haha. My bad guys. Fixed it. Yes, Kyle.

8. SeattleTrojan

SeattleTrojan Junior Member

Sep 4, 2019
    I’m curious about this comment. So one of the top coaches in the NFL right now has been passed up by the college game? Trying to understand this, so help me out. The NFL is the top league, correct? PC is one of the best coaches in that league, correct? If you want to say he doesn’t have the energy to recruit, I could vaguely understand your point of view. To say one of the best D minds in the entire game has been passed up by fly sweeps...well, I just can’t buy it, and it definitely ain’t true by any means. PC would kill it again in CFB...period. It’s never going to happen, but he would absolutely kill it.

By the way, did the game pass up Saban? They’re the same age, so it’s not age. PC killed it in the NFL while Saban floundered. Let me know what I’m missing.

9. flyfishintrojan

flyfishintrojan Junior Member

Sep 4, 2019
    This. When did USC hire away a top coach at a winning program? Cutty Sark? Thats our standard?

ConquerorSC likes this.
  10. BlemBlam

BlemBlam Junior Member

Sep 5, 2019
    Kyle Whittingham would be an absolute home run hire.

I also do not understand where the fascination with Jack Del Rio comes from. I’d he hadn’t played at USC. not a person on earth would be mentioning his name. We need to divest ourselves of this whole “ he gets USC” thought process. Just because he would be an upgrade over Helton, is NOT a reason to hire him.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2019
    Trojack, Kaptain Karl and DaFireMedic like this.
  11. Ngdoug

Ngdoug Points Member

Sep 5, 2019
    Don’t forget that a full coliseum would offset costs of a new big time coaches salary.

12. zitorocks

zitorocks Junior Member

Sep 5, 2019
    Saban and PC are not good comparisons. It's not just about age, though that could be a factor. College offenses today are very different from the typical ones that PC game-planned for during his tenure. Did we forget that anytime his defense faced an athletic QB in a read-option offense, he had a difficult time stopping them? Do I really need to bring up Vince Young? VY would probably be an average QB on an average CFB team today. I certainly respect your points, PC has been a very good NFL coach in his second stint. However, success in the NFL as we have seen time and time again does not typically result in success in the college game and vice versa...as well as being away from CFB for a decade.

ConquerorSC likes this.
  13. flyerz73

flyerz73 Junior Member

Sep 5, 2019
    Carroll had to play Tings and a young Cushing in a sling. You really think VY would be average today? With that size and speed? And he could throw.

14. Scalum76

Scalum76 Junior Member

Sep 5, 2019
    It was on FOX pre-game Saturday. Take it for what it's worth.

15. TrojanInSF

TrojanInSF Points Member

Sep 5, 2019
    Does any coach's wife actually like the fact their husband is a CFB head coach? Esp for a guy like Urban who has already made his $...

16. Scalum76

Scalum76 Junior Member

Sep 5, 2019
    That was before the Rams came back to town, now USC is second fiddle or third fiddle behind the lakers, who knows maybe even behind the Clippers.

ConquerorSC likes this.
  17. mattinNYC

mattinNYC Active Member

Sep 5, 2019
    With scandal after scandal hitting USC......Clay Helton is the perfect coach for USC. They can't entertain Pete, Urban, or any other coach that has skeletons. The pope himself isn't qualified to coach at USC right now....

ConquerorSC likes this.
  18. Merlin4SC

Merlin4SC Junior Member

Sep 5, 2019
    Peterson wouldn't come here - that we already know. And we learned not to do retreads - so no serious discussion would include the Trojan Family. And we need a quick turn around artist. That really narrows the field. I suspect these hoity toity people are going to have to hold their nose and hope Urban chooses a great DC to take over when he gets his 4 year itch. And no his wife doesn't hate Southern California. And he will be tired of broadcast at the end of this year.

Cyrus likes this.
  19. ConquerorSC

ConquerorSC Points Member

Sep 5, 2019
    It’s hard to accept, but times have changed a lot. And it’s not even about any imagined imposed parity by Larry Scott or anyone else. Even though he sucks, laying the blame for USC’s woes and conference parity on LS is a bunch of BS. In general, all Pac 12 teams now have more money and most have better facilities, partially because of the TV deal. Add all the scandals at USC, predator doctors, bad AD after bad AD, lackluster BOT and university support for football, a university culture of wariness after heavy sanctions, and it all starts making why so many big time coaches think twice or straight up pass on a USC job offer. Urban Meyer has a lot of dirt on his resume. I seriously doubt that Carol and the BOT will simply overlook that fact. USC will not get a big time hire. Period.

20. Poodlemothra

Poodlemothra Junior Member

Sep 5, 2019
    You left out Lou Holtz

ConquerorSC likes this.