Hayward Field renovations....just wow

Discussion in 'Other USC Sports' started by uscvball, May 21, 2018.

1. Hayward Field renovations....just wow
    uscvball

uscvball Junior Member

WeAreSC Member
    May 21, 2018
    "The University of Oregon’s iconic Hayward Field is one of the best-known track and field venues in the world, hosting events on Oregon’s Eugene campus since 1919 that include seven U.S. championships, as well as a record fifteen NCAA Outdoor Track and Field Championship. Now the stadium is getting a much-needed re-design with a little helping hand: none other than that of Nike founder and Oregon alumnus Phil Knight.

Knight and wife Penny are leading the private donations — the amounts of which haven’t been disclosed — for the stadium’s renovations, which are expected to be completed in 2020....

One completed in a couple of years, Hayward Field will feature room for 12,900 fans — up from the current seating capacity of 10,500 — and the ability to expand to seat 30,000 fans for 2021’s IAAF World Championships. Other details will include the likes of classrooms, labs, and research facilities for students and faculty, as well as a nine-lane track for competition."

https://hypebeast.com/2018/4/hayward-field-oregon-new-stadium-design-phil-knight

We may have stopped their conference winning streak but Phil's money continues to feed the beast.

gubo&palanka likes this.

2. uscvball

uscvball Junior Member

WeAreSC Member
    May 21, 2018
    [​IMG]

3. trackdude

trackdude Junior Member

May 21, 2018
    I'm wondering what this stadium looks like with 12K seats. That rendition looks like a 30K offering and looks permanent to me.

4. fansincearnett

fansincearnett Junior Member

May 21, 2018
    Been to the old Hayward Field at least twice that I recall. Great place to watch track except for the very hard wooden bleachers.

Uncle Phil strikes again!

5. uscvball

uscvball Junior Member

WeAreSC Member
    May 22, 2018
    I'm sure that's the 30k rendering. The article says it's scaleable. I don't know how that is achieved but can you imagine being a recruit seeing all the history and having a football-esque learning environment available right at the facility where you train?

6. trackdude

trackdude Junior Member

May 22, 2018
    Yeah, scaleable up to 30K, but that rendering doesn't look like it can be scaled down to 12K. What would get removed? (and why would it need to be scaled back down anyway?)

7. uscvball

uscvball Junior Member

WeAreSC Member
    May 23, 2018
    Excellent questions. I have no idea and it is sorta strange that the articles I've read don't discuss that at all.

8. mfortroy

mfortroy Junior Member

May 29, 2018
    All of this really makes it important for our program, that the recently announced enhancements to our track facilities proceed as soon as possible!