Graham Harrell UPDATE

Discussion in 'GarryP's Trojan Huddle' started by Surf3456forsc, Dec 9, 2019.

1. CoronaTrojanFan

CoronaTrojanFan Junior Member

Dec 9, 2019
    Herman is 24-15 so far in 3 seasons at Texas - wins over USC and OU followed by Sugar Bowl win over Georgia last year probably gave Horn followers big expectations that were not met this year but it remains to be seen how much slack historically impatient Texas fans give him for 7-5 season so far this year. Fact that Texas each year seems to get a top 10 recruiting class will not help Coach Herman if Horns have a poor showing in Alamo Bowl against Utah or have a slow start next year. Fact that UT is looking for both new DC and OC indicates HCTH feels the posse is closing in on him and looking to pass on some the lack of success to assistants - that kind of thing only works for a year or two unless the team begins to win more with regularity.

2. zitorocks

zitorocks Junior Member

Dec 9, 2019
    Hmmmm. Isn’t Helton like 34-16 in his first four years as HC? 34-16 seems better than 24-15 and Herman already had HC experience. Clay was 26-12 in his first three seasons, with a victory over UT. And that includes his 5-7 disaster season. No thanks. I’m picky about who I want as HC of an elite elite program like USC.

USCAlumFightOn likes this.
  3. BigDogs

BigDogs Member

Dec 10, 2019
    Folt Fail ... we better get used to it.

It'll be the only "SC" tee shirt I buy next year.

4. TrojanHorse

TrojanHorse Junior Member

Dec 10, 2019
    What I got out of it was Harrell is in LA recruiting for the Trojans...oh and that he like Helton...

"Sources said Harrell has a close relationship with Helton and has enjoyed the autonomy Helton afforded him in their first season together."

5. RB4SC

RB4SC Points Member

Dec 10, 2019
    Respectfully, just because WE on this board want to BELIEVE we know everything that's in play...and I'm not quite UNDERSTANDING how we come to that CONCLUSION that we can somehow "know" what's really going on...it doesn't, in FACT, mean that the staff, Administrative and Coaching, isn't doing EVERYTHING we believe they should.

1. Had AD made the announcement you suggested, the reaction would NOT have been any different than it is as it played out. Some will HATE the decision, others will "live with it". Apparently recruits weren't as concerned about HCCH status as we were, for while the "uncertainty" was happening, HCCH and staff were in kids' living rooms and having some successful discussions/conversations, based upon decisions recruits have made in the last week.

2. Do we NOT know he didn't? What does "locked up" mean? OCGH might very well have agreed to remain USC OC, but still, professionally be ALLOWED to have conversations with others regarding "key jobs" (Texas) and potential Head Coaching "opportunities" (UNLV/UTSA)...we DON'T KNOW if that happened or not...the key is, we don't know! For me, it's plausible because, again, assistant coaches are "at will" employees and a quality AD will understand that and WANT his employees fully committed to their job when the time comes...we have no idea how much time, if any, AD Bohn may have allowed GH for exploration.

3. Again, how do we know he didn't? Any DC we might want is probably STILL working in an important position and may not be available to recruit "in person" for USC today...so, in that case, the current staff still continues to do it's job. That's what happened last season...coaches recruited and took pictures, then moved on once their time/job was completed.

4. Assistant coaches ARE going to look at jobs...it's the nature of the business. Since they are "at will" employees, one bad game by players can lead to the UNEMPLOYMENT line (most of us don't deal with the uncertainty assistant coaches do).

5. And we KNOW they haven't? People love to spout off about HCCH doesn't have any "connections" in the Football...that's NOT realistic...we may not LIKE his connections he chooses, but, the coaching community is actually rather small and much tighter than most want to believe. What a HUGE leap to believe all those OCs at other schools desire to coach at USC...some may actually LIKE their current situations. Some might have families who are begging them to STAY in their current situations for AS LONG as possible. We don't know...and that's the key.

We on this board want to BELIEVE we know...we DON'T KNOW, period. And for some, that just kills...Beat the Hawkeyes!

Fight On, FOREVER, Fight On!
    RB4SC

bell, FIGHTON!, Troken and 3 others like this.
  6. USCTFL

USCTFL Junior Member

Dec 10, 2019
    Yost reminds me of Jeff Spicoli.

7. Rodgarnay51

Rodgarnay51 Junior Member

Dec 10, 2019
    I want to believe your post and to a certain extent I do. Especially the part about "we don't know." That's important as this all sorts itself out. One thing I do know is football coaches = resume climbers of the highest order.

8. Who's High Pitch?

Who's High Pitch? Points Member

Dec 10, 2019
    Sounds like he belongs in California! (Or Colorado, Oregon) not Texas!

9. Who's High Pitch?

Who's High Pitch? Points Member

Dec 10, 2019
    Not to sound like I'm letting Bohn off the hook, but isn't the hiring/ firing of assistant coaches the job of the head coach? I keep reading how Bohn should have done this or that, but isn't that Clay's job?

10. AnArchitect

AnArchitect Points Member

Dec 10, 2019
    Yah - somewhere John Law ain't breathing down your neck just because you like to relax with a little of the kind stuff, brah.

11. Innocent Bystander

Innocent Bystander Points Member

Dec 10, 2019
    Supposedly something should happen tomorrow.
    But all signs are pointing towards him leaving.
    He follows on Twitter tell the story.

12. USCAlumFightOn

USCAlumFightOn Junior Member

Dec 10, 2019
    Who is he following that leads you to believe that he's leaving?

13. Innocent Bystander

Innocent Bystander Points Member

Dec 10, 2019
    Majority of their recruits in the last 3 days.
    Plus supposedly his Dad wants him to take the Texas job.
    Hopefully it comes down to Ehlinger vs Slovis really.
    Who does he feel can help him advance his career faster.?

That is our only edge in my mind.
    Him staying with Slovis

USCAlumFightOn likes this.
  14. Ojaitrojan

Ojaitrojan Points Member

Dec 10, 2019
    Where are you hearing this?

15. trjoosh

trjoosh Points Member

Dec 10, 2019
    Supposedly his dad is very instrumental in his decision making. He only took the SC job last year upon the urging of his dad per texas folks. If his dad wants him to return to texas and his wife feels that way, he's gone. The fact he still hasn't taken the sc offer bodes better for texas at this point. However, no one really knows except Graham.

16. zitorocks

zitorocks Junior Member

Dec 10, 2019
    He's making it up. Pure speculation.

Redskins Rick likes this.
  17. Ojaitrojan

Ojaitrojan Points Member

Dec 10, 2019
    That's what I was assuming.

18. Troy70

Troy70 Junior Member

Dec 10, 2019