Garry P. You Might Find This of Interest

Discussion in 'Trojan Huddle' started by BlemBlam, Jul 8, 2018.

1. SCnut1

SCnut1 Junior Member

Jul 8, 2018

Last edited: Jul 12, 2018 at 7:02 AM
  2. KeenObserver

KeenObserver Junior Member

Jul 8, 2018
    My account is a blank page as well

3. SCnut1

SCnut1 Junior Member

Jul 8, 2018
    Did Polee commit to SC at one time but ended up at UNLV?

4. old scotty

old scotty Junior Member

Jul 8, 2018
    Gail Goodrich
    John Rudometkin
    Paul Westphal
    Billy Mc Gill
    Jumpin Joe Caldwell

5. AlbertoC

AlbertoC Junior Member

Jul 8, 2018
    Lewis dropped 55 on me in a summer league game. Played against him a few other times over the years 1972-80, and the result was pretty much the same. Other guys on my team, all of who were either college or NBA summer league caliber pro players, had no better luck than I did. The guy was an incredible basketball player. A friend of mine who was a lawyer (and a really good basketball player), tried to help him resurrect his career, with no luck. Raymond was married at the time, and his wife was supporting his NBA dream the best she could by working while Lewis played basketball full time. My friend was representing him pro bono since he believed that Lewis had top level NBA talent, and just needed a break. He ran into all kinds of roadblocks and was never able to get him back into the NBA.

Raymond was picked by the 76'ers with the last pick in first round I believe. They had the first overall pick in the draft and used that for Doug Collins. The way I remember my lawyer friend phrasing things (it's been over 35 years since he told me this story), Lewis played against Collins in training camp and decided he was at least as good as him and wanted the same level of compensation. He wasn't going to get that of course. He made himself very, very difficult to get along with and according to what I was told, was blackballed by the league.

Sad waste of a talent and a life.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2018
  6. BlemBlam

BlemBlam Junior Member

Jul 9, 2018
    Raymond was destroying Doug Collins in camp. Doug Collins wasn’t even close to Raymond as a player and Raymond just couldn’t abide the reality that Collins was making 4-5 more than he was.

If Raymond had gone to Long Beach St and played for Tarkanian he would have been as famous as any college player of that era except maybe Bill Walton.

Tark said he was the best offensive player he ever saw and he had Ed Ratleff at

He should have just swallowed his pride and played out that contract and gotten paid later. He would be in the HOF probably.
    Raymond was destroying Doug Collins in camp. Made him look silly
    His pride just got the best of him.
    He couldn’t abide the fact Collins was making 4-5 times what he was.
    If he just would have swallowed his pride and realized he could have played his rookie season and probably gotten paid the next off season or been in a much stronger position.

Can you imagine if he had gone to Cal State Long Beach and played for Tarkanian? They could have moved Ed Rstleff to small forward and had Ricky Aberegg, who I grew up with, distributing the ball to them. Ricky is another player who was ahead of his time but was also kind of a throwback to the Bob Cousy type of player. He was a magician with the ball.

If Rsymond had played for Tark, he would have been the most famous player in the country at that time not named Bill Walton.

7. AlbertoC

AlbertoC Junior Member

Jul 9, 2018
    Thanks for bringing back memories from years gone by. Aberegg was an excellent floor general for that team. Didn't know him well, but I did talk to him after my team got their asses kicked by CSULB. Friendly guy who couldn't have been more than 5'10. I'm pretty sure that Ed Ratleff was already gone when I played that team (73/74), but they had Glenn McDonald, who played in the NBA for the Celtics, taking his place at shooting guard. Leonard Gray and Pondexter bros (Cliff and Roscoe) were their front line. As a skinny 6'5" forward, it was literally terrifying playing against those guys. UCLA dazzled you, but the guys I mention here were physical monsters.

They also had Bob Gross, who had a pretty good NBA career, on their bench.

I played in what was then the highest level of night and summer leagues around L.A. for a few years after my college days were over. The amount of physical talent out there was just amazing. I got posterized plenty. Most of those guys were from the inner city and never sniffed the NBA. They either didn't go to college, didn't make it through school, or went into the military. Raymond is one example of a guy not making it, but there was so many others.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2018
  8. Trojack

Trojack Junior Member

WeAreSc Member
    Jul 9, 2018
    You didn't mention that Lute Olson coached that team. They also set the Long Beach Arena attendance record (12,987) against Marquette that season. I thought Rick Aberegg ran that team better than any point guard in the nation.

9. heyrev

heyrev Junior Member

Jul 9, 2018
    Interesting tidbit...In the video when they showed the All-CIF team from LA Times, I noticed Charles Phillips from Blair HS as a 2nd teamer. I didn't remember him ever playing basketball let alone be so talented. Glad he gave it up at USC for football.

Pudly76 likes this.
  10. uscvball

uscvball Junior Member

Jul 9, 2018
    I'm not sure exactly how to compare those times with current times since back then it was 100 yards and today it's 100 meters, roughly 30 more feet. I do know that the OC's fastest runner this season is Jake Burns from Trabuco Hills and he's set all kinds of records....with one more year to go. He was also part of the 4x100 team that set the all-time OC record this season. That's Jake, second from the right.
    1. [​IMG]
    http://www.trabucotrack.com/news/2018/5/27/new-oc-record-4x100

11. fansincearnett

fansincearnett Junior Member

Jul 9, 2018
    The "fastest white guy" from Orange county was probably Fred Kuller, a legit 9.3 sprinter and a member the SC's world record 440 yd relay team. Coach Wolfe said he had the fastest split of the four runners in that race.

12. old scotty

old scotty Junior Member

Jul 9, 2018
    Fred Kelly was also a fast white guy from Orange County

13. BlemBlam

BlemBlam Junior Member

Jul 10, 2018
    Yeah, I should have specified white football player. Specificity is a virtue. I know Ronny was a few 1/10’s of a second behind Kuller, but to be honest, I had forgotten he was from Santa Ana

After doing some research, I found Kuller and Pharris both ran 9.6 in HS

If you copy this link and paste it into your browser and scroll down to 100 yards you can see that there were actually probably 8 -10 white guys who ran a 9.6 over the years

http://www.occonnect.com/community/viewtopic.php?t=3785

Last edited: Jul 10, 2018
  14. SCnAZ

SCnAZ Junior Member

Jul 10, 2018
    Back in the day, VD BB was the best there was. I was at Compton then and went to see Lewis and the gang play B.B. and nothing, I mean nothing came close to those guys

Pudly76 likes this.
  15. uscvball

uscvball Junior Member

Jul 10, 2018
    Great link. @GarryP, is Matt Bruno the Trabuco sprinter we talked about yesterday? Lol, in that link from blem up to 2008, he was the OC fastest in the 100 and 200.

Just look at who is in lane 4.

16. BlemBlam

BlemBlam Junior Member

Jul 10, 2018
    Their center, Lewis Brown was pretty good too. I think he played at UNLV

Last edited: Jul 10, 2018
  17. SCnut1

SCnut1 Junior Member

Jul 10, 2018
    I saw Fred Kuller run at Santa Ana JC before he transferred to SC. His 9.3 was tied for the national JC record at the time. At SC aside from the relay he finished 4th in the ‘67 NCAA 100 yd dash championships.

18. I Am Grootegoed

I Am Grootegoed Active Member

Jul 10, 2018
    Best Cali HS basketball player I saw was Ed O'Bannon. His knee injury his frosh year at UCLA wrecked his athleticism and was never the same player after that. Even as bad as it was, he still won a title.

19. CP619

CP619 Junior Member

Jul 10, 2018
    Anyone remember Schea Cotton, Mater Dei & St. John Bosco? Shoulda, woulda, coulda.

20. Rodgarnay51

Rodgarnay51 Junior Member

Jul 10, 2018
    BlemBlam, do you remember the epic Raymond Lewis vs. Bird Averitt battles? I hope the documentary recalls those, because when I think of Raymond Lewis I think of his incredible matchups with Bird, who was another scoring machine. I was pretty close friends with Bird at Pepperdine. He too made some costly decisions that affected his career. Fun guy though.