Garry - Keving Hogan ?

Discussion in 'GarryP's Trojan Huddle' started by TrojanManDan132, Apr 28, 2016.

1. Garry - Keving Hogan ?
    TrojanManDan132

TrojanManDan132 Junior Member

Apr 28, 2016
    I'm a little surprised that Stanford's Kevin Hogan isn't getting more love from the NFL scouts and talking heads. He had a great career. He may be better than Goff in the long run & who knows about Wentz. I'm interested in your thoughts Garry. Thanks.

2. GarryP

GarryP Publisher

Staff Member
    Apr 28, 2016
    There was good Kevin and bad Kevin in his Stanford career, unfortunately last year we saw the good Kevin. I've always liked him more than most and my guess is he has a nice career as an NFL back-up but I just don't think his physical skills are enough to get a lot of love compared to other QB's in the league.

3. BarNone

BarNone Junior Member

Apr 28, 2016
    For a smart guy, Hogan's mechanics are terrrible. Throwing motion longer than Tebow's. His footwork erractic quarter to quarter, game to game. Tough guy that got key yardage in big situations in his career at Stanford.
    Not as good as Kessler.
    Said a different way, had Kessler had Stanford's protection, he'd have looked even better. Stanford's offensive weapons were tremendous the last couple years and only Shaw's offensive playcalling kept it under wraps.

4. oldtrojan93

oldtrojan93 Junior Member

Apr 28, 2016
    Pro scouts know Hogan won't have the most dynamic player in the Pac-12 to bail him out on his next team.

5. jiordone

jiordone Junior Member

Apr 28, 2016
    Hogan seemed to make a lot of mistakes when under pressure, and in the NFL, you are pressured on nearly every pass play.

6. willusc

willusc Junior Member

Apr 28, 2016
    Hogan makes a boat load of bad decisions and he doesn't have an NFL arm.

7. HelixTrojan

HelixTrojan Junior Member

Apr 28, 2016
    It's pretty easy to see what the NFL is looking for in QBs eligible for this draft:

Physical Skills and Tool Set.

The top three QBs expected to go first are Goff, Wentz and Lynch.

They are all 6'4 +, can move, and can make all of the NFL throws.

All three may go in the first round today, with Lynch going no lower than round 2.

The next group of QBs include guys like Connor Cook and Christian Hackenberg, who are inaccurate passers (under 57% completion rates), questionable decision makers, and had spotty college careers . . .

. . . BUT their physical stature (6'4 and above) and strong arms put them on draft boards.

Guys like Kevin Hogan, Cody Kessler, and Vernon Adams are all under 6'3 or under.

They are high percentage passers (65% +), who manage their teams very well, and they are smart and competitive.

But they are deemed as guys who cannot make all of the NFL throws.

So they'll be drafted in rounds 4 thru 6 most likely, if at all.

8. GLYCERINE

GLYCERINE Junior Member

Apr 28, 2016

Backup Qb in the nfl is the best job in America

9. S.Rodriguez

S.Rodriguez Junior Member

Apr 28, 2016
    Arm, mechanics,accuracy, and inconsistencies throughout his career is the knock on Hogan.

10. denali

denali Junior Member

Apr 29, 2016
    I've heard a lot of praise for Hogan the past couple days, Not sure he's being overlooked.

He also won't have the protection in the Pros that he had at Stanford, which might have made him look better than he was. As for decision-making...I remember that horrible INT he threw while falling out of bounds in the Ed O game at the end of the half. He pissed away a couple TDs in that game by not taking the sack. As Gary noted, we definitely got the Good Hogan in 2015.