Funa Sticking with Oregon

Discussion in 'Trojan Recruiting' started by bestlakersfan, Dec 13, 2018.

2. USC15

USC15 Points Member

Dec 13, 2018
    BLF how concerned are you about this recruiting class? It seems like we are missing left and right on every recruit that we would normally get.

3. bestlakersfan

bestlakersfan Junior Member

Dec 13, 2018
    It'll be ranked about 15th, but the issue is the quality will be very low for USC standards. Lots of plan B, C and D commits. We will likely sign about 27 players on this class, which makes it even worse.... Meaning we have a need to recruit more and will be getting less quality.

Trojan12 and USC15 like this.
  4. ectrojan

ectrojan Junior Member

Dec 13, 2018
    Agreed. Did not like the approach of the last few years of being slow with the recruiting process. Good records and good recruiters bailed us out in those years. With a 5-7 record, that is no longer the case.

5. norcalsurfer

norcalsurfer Points Member

Dec 13, 2018
    Trust the process

-Helix

6. usc1011

usc1011 Junior Member

Dec 13, 2018
    My my my.....where did all the geniuses go that knew all about recruiting several months ago? Its early.......stars don't matter......Helton is a great recruiter.....this staff can evaluate talent so much better.......and other nonsense and drivel. Amazing coincidence....bama has 24 hard commits and 23 are 4 star and above. Yes it is early....its going to take a long time to correct the mess that this moron and his friends have turned our once proud program into......if the next coach has the ability. He or she (anything crazy is now possible at USC) will have a real job fixing just the credibility issue. Not going to be fun watching our right tackle next year (the swinging gate) allow whoever is brave enough to play QB get his head handed to him. Of course we could use a TE on that side....oh....we don't have a blocking TE. Could pass over the rusher to slow him down.....except for Carr (looks permanently hurt) no half back that can catch the ball on the roster. Well.......the incoming freshmen will save us all......well.....maybe not. Signing off for another 3 months so don't bother.

7. TommyT

TommyT Junior Member

Dec 13, 2018
    We all heard the saying USC recruits itself but damn, the coaches still need to do more than go through the motions

OC2SC, BlueBlood and Rodgarnay51 like this.
  8. SonofGodzilla

SonofGodzilla Points Member

Dec 13, 2018
    Why are we crying about Funa ? We're stacked at LB. Flowe next yr. a must. Lets stop bitching about those who would.rather be Ducks then Trojans.

9. DARNELLJAX

DARNELLJAX Junior Member

Dec 13, 2018
    Remember the days when we had a wall around Southern California in terms of recruiting? I wish we would get back to that.

10. swabie2424

swabie2424 Junior Member

Dec 13, 2018
    Helton not adjusting to the early signing period isn't great. Wait, Clay not making adjustments... no way! Get outta town! I don't want to hear about "West Coast" recruits and all that nonsense. All just excuses. At some point we're gonna be left holding the bag. Maybe not this year... but maybe....

Get the hay in the barn.

11. bestlakersfan

Dec 13, 2018
    1. Funa is a dominant force and is the type of a kid you want.

2. Flowe and Funa play different positions.

3. Because we are stacked at a position we should stop recruiting it?

Sounds like you are applying for a job on Helton's staff.

12. uscjrl98

uscjrl98 Junior Member

WeAreSc Member
    Dec 13, 2018
    Generally USC does recruit itself except when we go 5-7 and keep the coach who led us there.. There were 2 teams with worse records than us in the Pac-12. Helton's last year at the helm was a colossal fail. Yes this impacts recruiting.

reaLchaZZZy, OC2SC, Trojan12 and 2 others like this.
  13. Rodgarnay51

Rodgarnay51 Junior Member

Dec 13, 2018
    I don't think there's any question that the program is a little wobbly right now, with the head coach's future very much TBD. Sending guys out recruiting who are fired the next day? No bueno. I don't imagine any of that helps recruiting at all.

14. SonofGodzilla

Dec 13, 2018
    Laker, still sounds like you are whining. He picked O along time ago. No Re-whining about recruits whoses ship has sailed. Negative reaffirmations will get you no where.

VM805 likes this.
  15. Arhedge

Arhedge Junior Member

Dec 13, 2018
    I'm not sure what you mean by "whining." When an elite prospect from a USC feeder school in Southern California goes to a second-rate program out of state, it doesn't seem unreasonable to express frustration about that.

We're going to see the floor for USC recruiting classes this year and probably next. We hear all the time that USC recruits itself, and it's true -- USC has a higher floor and ceiling than just about any other program. When the program is an absolute mess, it still lands top-20 classes. But no program recruits at elite levels when the whole world knows the head coach is in over his head and is a long-term lame duck who doesn't develop talent. Once Lynn kept Clay, it was inevitable that USC recruiting would fall. Welcome to stability.

16. SonofGodzilla

Dec 13, 2018
    Arhedge or Arledge ?, Funa is old news. I agree this years class could suck, but lets keep it current when we rant. Fight on.

17. USCVel

USCVel Junior Member

Dec 13, 2018
    I for one have been skeptical of Helton's recruiting strategy in the past, and have always rejected the notion that stars don't matter. A program like USC can always get three star kids, and maybe some of them will pan out; but to be elite, you need the 4 and 5 star kids. I'd rather be explaining away the few 5 star kids who don't pan out, then reveling in the few 3 star kids who do. It's the difference between an Alabama program and a Boise St. program. We should be emulating 'Bama. Having said all that, and this is not directed at Best or any poster in particular, it is incredibly tiresome to wade through the constant droning on about how horrible Helton is, and Clancy, and coaches who are no longer here. We get it. You guys hate our coaching staff and think they suck. Point taken. Bottom line is, this is the staff that's going to be coaching USC this year and I intend to support the team. If they fail, they will almost certainly be gone at the end of the year anyway. Maybe there are those on this board who want them to fail and want the team to lose a bunch next year so we get a new staff. Fine, that's fair. I for one hope they don't fail and hope we can at least get to a point on these boards where people can resist the urge to one up each other on being the loudest Helton basher. Anyways, that's my rant for the week.

18. Cardinal&Gold

Cardinal&Gold Junior Member

Dec 13, 2018
    The question is:

Why did he pick O along time ago? Was it because USC stopped recruiting him hard or at all during that time? Did they ever make him a priority? If so who was his lead recruiter? Then at the 11th Hr. did they try to re-enter the race?

**IMHO This guy is the closest thing to Merlin Robertson ASU 2018 Pac 12 defensive freshman of the year. Which means you likely lost a run stopping legit middle LB playmaker two years in a row. What sucks is they will be playing against you for the next few years.

**I'm not as confident in the LB depth as you are. One or two season ending injuries or a transfer that always seem to happen and you're scrambling.

Right now they are counting on a guy coming off a foot injury that hasn't played in a year for depth and
    several redshirt freshman who have not played much or at all.

This is their ML/ILB depth. In my opinion Houston should be an outside guy but Clancy is the smart guy.

1. John Houston
    2. P. Gaoteote

Followed by:

Redshirt freshman R Scott
    Solomon T. coming off an foot injury. The bulk of the dept after that is at OLB and they would have to move someone over and play them out of position or go with a walk on.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2018
    uscjrl98, bestlakersfan and BlueBlood like this.
  19. bestlakersfan

Dec 13, 2018
    Old news? He was on a OV last week and the coaches are there today to try and flip him.

Don't be ignorant.