From my view of watching the game at the coliseum

Discussion in 'GarryP's Trojan Huddle' started by bestlakersfan, Sep 24, 2018.

1. From my view of watching the game at the coliseum
    bestlakersfan

bestlakersfan Junior Member

Sep 24, 2018
    Keeping it brief and bullet-pointed, but here is what I saw from my seats.

1. The new structure is huge, huge. It does seem to make the stadium more intimate and in your face. Also seems to really help with the noise generated. It was getting LOUD.

2. I have never seen a QB have so many perfect pockets to through out of ever.

3. We generated absolutely zero rush in that game

4. What's up with our DL stances? I swear from end to end, they are about 10 yards away from each other. I've seen OL being spread, but our DL is SOOOO spread away from each other

5. Talanoa Hufanga is going to be very, very special. The kid was flying and has a nose for the ball.

6. Iman Marshall is amazing. He is one of the best CBs in the nation this year. He is also probably one of the best sure tacklers we have.

7. Remind me why John Houston is playing? The only time he does anything is if there are two defenders next to him who can bring down a runner.

8. Same question for Ajene. Lockett can't be worse and deserves a shot.

9. Amon-Ra, Tyler and Michael are fantastic. They don't get a ton of separation, but they each have a LOT of heart and fight in them.

10. An 18 year-old kid kept us from going 1-3. 18 years old. He won the game, IN SPITE OF several men over 40 on million dollar contracts. The kid is and will be amazing.

11. Stephen Carr doesn't seem right. I just feel like he's lost a little burst and wiggle. Looked much more electric last year.

12. Polar Bear is a very accurate name for Pili. Kid is mammoth in size and has gotten bigger.

13. Vavae is the real deal and I hope we use him more. I've been a huge fan of his since the Army game in his senior year of high school. He is tough, has great lateral moves and is hard to bring down.

14. Clancy is not doing us any favors. The scheme is awful and we are playing a passive type of defense. We need to let loose and get some pressure on the QB. I have yet to see it this year.

15. Tee Martin and the offensive (pun intended) coaches seem to do well when the plays are scripted, but outside of that they are not good at their jobs.

16. Hey coach KU, we give you tons of credit, but that DL is not playing anywhere near where they should be.

17. Porter Gustin is a difference maker. He is strong, crazy strong and has a heart and motor that very few can match. He saved us in the second half. He doesn't play the whole game, we lose.

18. Said this in another thread, but kudos to the student section. They were rocking the whole game. Outside of "big games" they usually aren't that spirited, but this group was all about it. Maybe because it was a Friday night game it helped getting the students into the game? Whatever it was, they were awesome.

19. Can we please use Trevon Sidney more? He is a play maker.

SC93er, USCFAM, Cardinal&Gold and 4 others like this.

2. AMLTrojan

AMLTrojan Junior Member

Sep 24, 2018
    Regarding #14, we've been blitzing up a storm in the last two games and generated very little pressure on the QB while exposing ourselves repeatedly for big gains. The issue isn't scheme, it's down to d-line just not getting it done.

3. Cyrus

Cyrus Junior Member

Sep 24, 2018
    Great write up BLF. Hope you do it after every game.

Agreed about Sidney, I have been saying the same thing.

What do you think of power I and #99 fullback?

Cardinal&Gold and bestlakersfan like this.
  4. heyrev

heyrev Junior Member

Sep 24, 2018
    OP, enjoyed your post, and I agree in frustration with CP's defensive philosophy. I don't think our DL is coached with a priority on pass rush. Getting to the QB is not as important as staying in their lanes while maintaining a forward push. It might keep the QB in the pocket and defend draw plays, but severely limits their ability to out-maneuver an OL. Over the CP years most all our sacks are from LB/hybrid DE (PC's old "elephant" position), or safety blitzes. But there's obviously an emphasis on staying in their rush lanes. I haven't seen a "twist" from our DL in years.

RE: Carr. He had a tremendous burst on his long run...came within inches of out running the angles. Speed is still there. My theory is he might be a back that needs more carries than he's getting. Some guys need a rhythm and develop a flow against the speed of the defense. To me he looks "rusty" more than anything.

bestlakersfan likes this.
  5. Sam Bam

Sam Bam Junior Member

Sep 24, 2018
    Carr sure does not look like his best.

Look we just saw how long it took Tiger to comeback from back surgery and that is golf. It would not be a surprise for Carr to have lost agility and speed. Maybe he should have redshirted this year to get fully healthy not just healthy enough to play, but healthy enough physically and mentally to be his best.

Every time he gets the ball I am hoping for the best. #fighton Stephen

6. GoSC1

GoSC1 Junior Member

Sep 24, 2018
    I'm wondering where the turnovers are. Our D is not living up to expectations.

7. bestlakersfan

bestlakersfan Junior Member

Sep 24, 2018
    I don't have the numbers, but from what I've seen, we are not blitzing anywhere near the amount we were last year. We seem to also be playing with huge cushions on 3rd downs, instead of playing press coverage, which our CBs have the ability to do.

I do agree, our DL is not getting it done and that comes down to technique and drive.

8. Pudly76

Pudly76 Points Member

Sep 24, 2018
    Going back to the question of Carr’s explosiveness, I believe he had a foot injury last year that kept him out weeks and even when he came back he was limited and didn’t look the same. All the focus has been on his back, but foot injuries can be complicated and take time to truly overcome.

9. Troy70

Troy70 Junior Member

Sep 24, 2018
    Agree, why. No Lockett getting more reps

FTFO33 likes this.
  10. PickSicx

PickSicx Junior Member

Sep 24, 2018
    Carr is still playing with the residual effects of a couple of injuries. His explosiveness will still take time to return. But that said, he's still a strong running back and he's more than carrying the load expected of him.

11. heyrev

heyrev Junior Member

Sep 24, 2018
    This is related, I think, to their lack of aggressiveness. The kids seem to be playing strict assignment football, as if positioning is more crucial than playing instinctively. I can only hope they get more assertive as they gain comfort with the system they're asked to play. I sense CP's system is more complicated than most?

12. Psycho Trojan

Psycho Trojan Junior Member

Sep 24, 2018
    Our problem with our blitzing is we let everyone know we are coming and we blitz into their blocking instead of faking and coming off the edge where there is no blocking or zone blitzing.

AMLTrojan and OCBeachTrojan like this.
  13. sc85sis

sc85sis Junior Member

Sep 24, 2018
    Re: #11, I wondered the same the last 2 games. He looks slower to me. He may not be 100% yet.

14. DJ4SC

DJ4SC Junior Member

Sep 24, 2018
    All those bullet points and not one mention of those cup holders.....

Nice write up BLF.

I suspect Carr will need a little more time to hit his groove but the talent is there for a guy to be able to even sniff the second level with our current Oline woes.

15. OCBeachTrojan

OCBeachTrojan Points Member

Sep 24, 2018
    D-line:
    1) No pressure when they didn’t Blitz
    2) No prresure when we blitzed (LB & Corners)... and we blitzed a lot during the last game. **I don’t think we actually touched the QB until the 3rd Qtr.

Issue is, Clancy never runs CREATIVE stunts with the linemen...never has them cross and move around each other after the snap. Same thing with LBs & DBs, no imagination. They just blitz straight up the gap (no crossing, delaying, blind corner blitz off the edge, etc.)
    We are not fooling anyone! Teams just look at the past games and know exactly which blitz packages we use EVERY game.
    We can’t use the excuse that our guys are tired since we rotate the d-lineman and the fact that there isn’t even pressure on the QB in the 1st Qtr.
    Only guy that gets pressure is Gustin because he can overpower the O-line... not as a result of any CREATIVE Blitz package!!

Last edited: Sep 24, 2018
  16. Peete2Affholter

Peete2Affholter Junior Member

Sep 24, 2018
    No one mentioning the penalties and other myriad mistakes which are totally maddening to anyone?

Bad snaps, false starts, offsides, pass interference, etc.

Helton and Co. are not newbies any more. This lack of discipline is unacceptable.

OCBeachTrojan and AZUSCfan like this.
  17. DJ4SC

DJ4SC Junior Member

Sep 24, 2018

I don’t think they’ve been forgotten but the other issues right now seem more glaring which can lead to excessive penalties when you’re out of position or getting beat?

18. SoCalN8tiv

SoCalN8tiv Junior Member

Sep 24, 2018
    I'll add that Iosefa crashing down inside, losing contain, and doing a half olé arm tackle on another play cost USC TWO TDs. Wtf was that! Levi Jones ain't getting it done either. I guess we're left with Houston's SEVEN tackles, batted down passes, and sound assignment football that don't result in easy reverses for TDs - See Levi again. Just a few glaring omissions you will certainly appreciate.

19. SoCalN8tiv

SoCalN8tiv Junior Member

Sep 24, 2018
    Lateral moves? Where? I see him tilting and cutting but nothing special going lateral. He runs like Justin Fargas. Stepp is the more talented runner of the two. Love Mal but he's not the best runner.