Favorite USC athlete of all time

Discussion in 'GarryP's Trojan Huddle' started by ErikMcKinney, Jul 8, 2020.

1. Georgetirebiter IV

Georgetirebiter IV Points Member

Jul 14, 2020
    My first favorite player was the star of the first USC game I saw, Mike Holmgren. It was a freshman game v Cal. He never lettered, but did have a successful career in the NFL coaching. Not a player but John McKay was as much a favorite as OJ. And Pete Carroll goes with McKay. Marlin McKeever was one not mentioned, and if you say Marlin you need to include Mike. Brad Budde was another favorite, I met him at the beach on a recruiting trip. Another favorite was Joe Bottom, a swimmer who had a shot at the gold medal in 1980 until Jimmy Carter played politics with the Olympics. Mosi and Lofa Taputu were also favorites. Another favorite was Marc Goux. And of course my favorite USC catcher was Steve Sogge, who quarterbacked a championship team.

As a fan for 55 years I’ve had lots of favorites including many others already listed by the others.

Rodgarnay51 likes this.
  2. Peete2Affholter

Peete2Affholter Junior Member

Jul 15, 2020
    Well, golf is a sport where athleticism is not of any tangible advantage, except in perhaps being able to drive the ball further, and that only if your technique is already good enough to get the ball going straight in the direction you want. Just watching some pro athletes tee it up at various pro ams show that the ability to run fast, jump high, hit hard, etc. - don't usually translate into a smooth golf swing, lol.

As far as OJ being bad at basketball - maybe he just never played it as a youth, or he didn't have the type of hand-eye coordination that makes for a good basketball player?

I recall an anecdote from my sister, whonattended high school with Daylon McCutcheon. McCutcheon was all-world when it came to football - he went on to play at USC, starting as a true freshman on a Rose Bowl-winning team, and then played a number of years in the NFL. But my sister mentioned that, while in high school, there was some spirit rally in which various athletes from the school's teams would essentially play a game of H-O-R-S-E to win a prize. She said Daylon looked like he had never touched a basketball in his life, for how clumsy he looked trying to dribble and shoot a basketball.

3. old scotty

old scotty Junior Member

Jul 15, 2020
    pretty hard to find a black kid in an inner city who never played basketball. OJ had a basketball ego, thought he was good. His closest friend growing up was Al Cowlings, and Cowlings was a remarkable basketball player. He was very graceful, very good shooter. At 6'5" there was talk about him joining the Trojan basketball team, and I think he might have helped. Hard to imagine he and OJ never teamed up as kids. OJ just was no good. I doubt he could play baseball either. I think you do not understand golf. Yeah, many are not distance runners, but they are athletes.

4. Peete2Affholter

Jul 15, 2020
    Good point about OJ, but I remember that reading his biography, when OJ grew up in San Francisco, the "pickup" ball games he'd play were football, not basketball. He and his friends would play against other groups of kids from other neighborhoods in impromptu football contests.

As far as golfers being athletes - I never said they weren't, just that the usual definition of "athletic" in the sense of someone having unusual speed, explosiveness, and power in proportion to their size is not something that automatically translates into being a proficient golfer. You mentioned baseball wrt OJ probably unlikely to be good at it - baseball is also a sport where an athletic freak won't necessary be automatically a great baseball player - look no further than Michael Jordan as an example. Again, that's not saying that MLB players are NOT freakish athletes, because they mostly are.

5. BarNone

BarNone Junior Member

Jul 15, 2020
    used to love to watch Sehorn wiggle waiting for the ball on punt return. Great player. The "blade" was another all-time classis

6. BarNone

BarNone Junior Member

Jul 15, 2020
    All of the above plus Lofa Tatupu, his father Mosi and Matt Grootegoed

7. Peete2Affholter

Jul 15, 2020
    My favorites:

Rodney Peete
    Erik Affholter

;)

Also:

Lisa Leslie
    Keyshawn Johnson
    Big Mike Williams
    Reggie Bush
    Willie McGinest
    Lorenzo Orr
    Carson Palmer
    Curtis Conway
    Johnnie Morton

and many others who have made me oooh and aahhh or just smile while watching them play.

8. Rodgarnay51

Rodgarnay51 Junior Member

Jul 15, 2020
    I'm going to restart surfing this summer. I dropped it a couple years ago after hip surgery. A friend of mine is going to loan me a longboard, which will help.

For me golf started as an outdoor cocktail hour. I discovered to my surprise after I quit drinking that I still enjoy it. And I still think I'm better than the scorecard shows.

Canyon likes this.
  9. howea

howea Junior Member

Jul 17, 2020
    Great lists - cant argue with any of it.

A couple of favorites of mine that I would add to the obvious (Marcus, Reggie, Lott, Swann, etc.) would be Grootegoed and I think Scott Ware.

I say Ware because I remember him as the guy that laid that viscous, clean hit on that Auburn RB or WR that popped the Auburn guys helmet off. Or maybe it was Leach. Whoever that was, add them to my list.

There was a great picture of this at the time. Someone here had it as their avatar years ago. I cant seem to find that picture anywhere. Anyone have it handy?

SCBirnkrant81 likes this.
  10. SCBirnkrant81

SCBirnkrant81 Junior Member

Aug 2, 2020
    image.jpeg
    Enjoy and happy Sunday!
    Article on the hit by Jason Leach titled: "What it feels like to lay someone out" is an interesting read. Link: https://usctrojans.com/news/2003/9/15/what_it_feels_like_to_lay_someone_out.aspx

Last edited: Aug 2, 2020
    Ridge Rider, howea and Rodgarnay51 like this.
  11. SCBirnkrant81

SCBirnkrant81 Junior Member

Aug 2, 2020
    Ingo was a great personality! During our freshman year, Ingo lived two doors down from me in the dorms (Birnkrant) and we had a few late night HORSE games at a nearby outdoor basketball court. I'm glad someone recognized that name! Funny thing about those games were that at 5'9" I was unable to dunk and every time I got close to winning the game, he would start dunking!

12. Rodgarnay51

Rodgarnay51 Junior Member

Aug 3, 2020
    I can't answer that, but if football somehow survives I have a feeling that in a couple years mine will be Kedon Slovis. From the list my favorite is Adoree. His amazing enthusiasm, explosiveness and athletic ability made him a joy to watch.

13. CFB Fan

CFB Fan Junior Member

Aug 3, 2020
    I played waterpolo in college, took up tennis later and got myself to a 5.5 NTR. Tennis is great, but man is it hard on the joints. After 4 serious ankle sprains and walking around for 20 years on an undiagnosed complete tear of the Peroneas Brevis tendon, I’ve been through 3 rounds of surgeries to correct the issues in my ankle and most likely it will never be 100%. Keep saying, should have never left the pool.

Canyon and Rodgarnay51 like this.
  14. DrJohnDC

DrJohnDC Junior Member

Aug 3, 2020
    Gymnastics is a minor sport but is is my minor sport (1970-1975 at USC) and Coach Jack Beckner needs to be mentioned. He won three NCAA titles while competing for USC, was on the 1952, 1956, and 1960 Olympic gymnastic teams, and led the 1967 USC gymnastics team to a NCAA National Championship. He is in the USC Hall of Fame.
    I have so many other "favorite" USC athletes, many of them I knew when I was competing at USC, that I would be hard pressed to name only a few. Most of them have already been mentioned, so I will leave it at Jack.
    Fight On

Canyon likes this.
  15. Canyon

Canyon Junior Member

Aug 4, 2020
    For those unfamiliar with the NTRP ratings or National Tennis Rating Program ratings = 1.0 to 7.0 (Touring Pro's are 7.0, D-1 to D-3 college players are 6.5 to 6.0, 5.5 to 5.0 are advanced players, 4.5 to 4.0 above average (very good) players, 3.5 to 3.0 average players, 2.5 to 2.0 getting there, 1.5 to 1.0 beginners ). One gets rated by a USTA (United States Tennis Association) certified Tennis Pro, 45 minutes of actual, on court evaluation (all areas of tennis mechanics, concluding by playing a very competitive 4 to 6 games). Afterwards, he'll rate you accordingly how you performed, played games against him and tournament history. Your rating is registered under the USTA and given a NTRP ratings card.

CFB Fan you should be proud of your 5.5 rating, that's a top level and X-lent rating. I held, hold a 5.0 NTRP rating, (technically still do, one never ever loses it). But, now days I have an Old Man ratings, LOL...

Man, those USTA 5.o tournaments were very tough. Shoot, in any USTA 5.0 tournament, there were a number of X-Collegians and 5.5 rated players (sand bagging). Dam, hard courts and tournament tennis play are brutal to the body. I had my share of injuries, all on my right side (right handed and one handed back hand): tennis elbow, strain wrist, shoulder tear, bad back, tennis toe (both feet), sore knees. Thank God no operation. I would let it heal naturally + lots of ice treatments, Epson salt soaks, Salonpas patch and Aspercreme + Lidocaine creams and patch, massage, stretching and time off from tennis did the trick.

Back then, I cross trained: swam, ran, wind sprints, calisthenics, stretching really helped and improved my tennis game. I love tennis, it's a wonderful sport...

Last edited: Sep 4, 2020
  16. Ridge Rider

Ridge Rider Points Member

Aug 6, 2020
    Favorite USC athlete? Bob Seagren without question;
    World Record Holder in the Pole Vault.
    Olympic Gold, Olympic Silver (which would have easily been Gold had the German Olympic Committee not screwed over the best ever pole vault field to that date (1972) by disqualifying their poles).
    Nemesis to Bruin Dick Railsback.
    Entered the first (American) Superstars competition against certain peoples "better" judgment as they were afraid the Olympian would be embarrassed by the professional baseball and football players. Bob embarrassed them and declined to participate in subsequent years (to give the others a chance).
    Won the girl - Kam Nelson.

upload_2020-8-6_11-37-48.jpeg

17. Ridge Rider

Aug 6, 2020
    My second favorite USC athlete is Prescottbear .... because I love his cooking!

18. Ridge Rider

Aug 6, 2020
    Why Ridge Rider is biased to pole vaulters HS memory 1971 ;

upload_2020-8-6_11-40-25.jpeg

19. djgcue

djgcue Junior Member

Aug 6, 2020
    Randy Johnson
    Mark Prior
    Tom Seaver