ESPN: Potential massive Pac-12 player boycott

Discussion in 'GarryP's Trojan Huddle' started by ErikMcKinney, Aug 1, 2020.

1. nvargas

nvargas Junior Member

Aug 4, 2020
    You like to play the silly extremes game...take things to their ridiculous illogical ends. That's fine, it's a discussion board.

The same could be said on the opposite side of this transaction correct? Should coaches eventually be paid up to $15M per season, AD's at "non-profit institutions of higher learning" making $5M+? If TV revenue crosses the billion $ mark, merchandise $ goes into the hundreds of millions, should school Prez's make $10M per year at tOSU/Bama/Georgia? Should HC's be part of their state's PERS plans and be the highest earners bilking the program for life? Should we entice our next HC w/ unlimited hookers, blow, cars? What's stopping us from doing this now?

It's a sham that money being the only true currency is a threat for the players side, but the admin/coaching side is open about maximizing their money. I love games where you control the levers to suit your side, and use sanctity/principles to squelch the opposing side. Those are the best!

AnArchitect likes this.
  2. Merlin4SC

Merlin4SC Junior Member

Aug 4, 2020
    ^^^^^ THIS ^^^^^

some love to be part of a movement, some love to thwart the establishment and traditions, some love the attention, but all should love the sport that was created back in the 1890's that was brought to the fore by Rockne and Jones and Stagg and the likes. There was a time when boys on the way to becoming men would embrace the legacies and traditions of those who came before without the social nonsense. EVERYTHING has been politicized now. As if the people doing it got their way we'd go back to normal. FORGEDABOUDIT

This genie doesn't go back in the bottle, this toothpaste is out of the tube for good. Maybe I was born 20 years too late.

Meanwhile China just moved 1,500 troops and a squadron of tanks and artillery into the LAC in Ladakh prior to ambushing and wiping out Indian troops, planning to take more land from India, which could ignite a huge wide conflict aka WW3. I wonder how many of these athletes have ever heard of Gen Norman Schwarzkopf?

3. AMLTrojan

AMLTrojan Junior Member

Aug 4, 2020
    I wouldn't interpret frustration with athletes' entitlement mentality as a defense of colleges' moral and ethical purity. Of course college athletics are a business. Of course coaching salaries have gotten out of hand. The crackup / divorce of lucrative athletics from educational systems was bound to happen. AND these kids are myopic twits. A pox on both sides' houses.

4. nvargas

nvargas Junior Member

Aug 4, 2020
    Perhaps you're right, there's merit and silliness on both sides...I just know one side has controlled this proposition for decades, got out of it what they wanted, colluded as a cartel among schools/conf's/NCAA to control their priorities for decades...and only recently has the player side actually had a say.

And only now, many folks say, "That's it, I can't take this anymore...this has gotten out of hand, I'm out".

My personal preference, I appreciated the amateur nature of college athletics. I valued the opportunity for kids to find themselves and mature in college while always having the goal of showcasing their talents at the professional levels. I would have been fine if CFB stayed the way it was ~circa 70's. But it didn't. Greedy NCAA/Conf/School brass saw to it to maximize profits/revenue streams and commercialize every single ounce of the "game". And only now, when players want a cut, fans are outraged...indeed sad.

AnArchitect likes this.
  5. 28thstreet

28thstreet Junior Member

Aug 4, 2020
    You should do some research on College Football. George Gipp was a 25 yrs old drunkard playing college football at Notre Dame. Knute Rockne used to drive around Chicago looking for possible football players for Notre Dame. Fielding Yost of Michigan would travel around Detroit doing the same thing. The "student-athlete" has been a farce since the beginning.

Peete2Affholter likes this.
  6. nvargas

nvargas Junior Member

Aug 4, 2020
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Student_athlete#:~:text=The%20term%20student%2Dathlete%20was,The%20National%20Letter%20of%20Intent.

Note the highlighted part.

AnArchitect likes this.
  7. ForwardUntoDawn

ForwardUntoDawn Points Member

Aug 5, 2020
    I say just make sports non-scholarship.

If people want to play sports they let them.

If my son had the chance to play football for USC I'm sure he would jump at the chance.

3rd Slide likes this.
  8. ForwardUntoDawn

Aug 5, 2020
    For me college football was fun to watch because it was fun seeing the tradition of one school go against the tradition of another school.

Over the past few years it's become about nothing more than $$$.

Sure, it would be nice to see USC be able to beat the Alabama's of the world. But that is not worth what we are becoming.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2020
  9. ForwardUntoDawn

Aug 5, 2020
    This really should have been done a long time ago.

10. ForwardUntoDawn

Aug 5, 2020
    What about the people who weren't born in the 70s that are just outraged?

11. 3rd Slide

3rd Slide Junior Member

Aug 5, 2020
    I’d be totally good with that, even more so if the academic requirements are upheld. Of course, then we’d be just like the Ivy League...

12. Peete2Affholter

Peete2Affholter Junior Member

Aug 6, 2020
    Which is also kind of a farce. Ivy League athletes, while admittedly on a higher academic level than the average nationwide, aren't always theoretical physicists or microbiologist engineers in their off-hours. They're recruited and wined and dined the same as other athletes, and although they're not given athletic scholarships, they are given favorable financial aid and other incentives to come play for them.

13. 3rd Slide

3rd Slide Junior Member

Aug 6, 2020
    But, at least as I understand it, they still have to qualify, so I'm good with that. Let's just say it's not a short stopping point until the league will take you...

14. Peete2Affholter

Peete2Affholter Junior Member

Aug 6, 2020
    Yes, I'm good with it also. The kids who play football for the Ivies are also the sort that get recruited to Duke, Stanford, the service academies, and the like. They very much (on the average) would get into colleges on their academic merits alone.

15. Merlin4SC

Merlin4SC Junior Member

Aug 9, 2020
    So that means no one should look up to and emulate their accomplishments at establishing the game we all love? There are plenty of assholes and people who took being a student a joke that helped build the game both then and now, like the Scam Newton types, etc.

16. SC87

SC87 Points Member

Aug 9, 2020
    The solution is simple. Cancel the scholarships of those players that don't want to play. Give them applications for Taco Bell and McDonalds. That will never happen of course. Someone in authority will write a letter of apology.

CFB Fan likes this.
  17. AnArchitect

AnArchitect Points Member

Aug 10, 2020
    This is the most level-headed discourse on the subject I've heard anywhere, paid writer or not. Well done.

18. denali15

denali15 Points Member

Aug 10, 2020
    I wouldn't romanticize the 70s era in CFB. Remember the Colorado coach, when busted for providing prostitutes to recruits, said he was just trying to compete with Nebraska?

I'm not sure whether CFB was "cleaner" back then. And were Woody Hayes, The Bear, Bo, even McKay kinder/gentler coaches than we have today?

19. nvargas

nvargas Junior Member

Aug 10, 2020
    Absolutely, in no way implying there wasn't corruption/immorality back then. Simply referring to a time where players as a whole were satisfied being amateurs and the NCAA/Conf's/Schools weren't hellbent on monetizing every aspect of the game. Ambitions as a whole weren't as high, side-revenue streams weren't as aggressively pursued.

20. denali15

denali15 Points Member

Aug 10, 2020
    And as a result...the upside/future income potential for CFB players wasn't as high back then. Everyone wins by having more revenue. I'm sure Joey Bosa would agree.

But you still haven't shown by players are entitled to a cut of the revenues just because there are more revenues in play.