Did SC really have a shot at Dave Aranda?

Discussion in 'GarryP's Trojan Huddle' started by Jay4usc, Feb 18, 2020.

1. Did SC really have a shot at Dave Aranda?
    Jay4usc

Jay4usc Points Member

Feb 18, 2020

2. BlemBlam

BlemBlam Junior Member

Feb 18, 2020
    It was reported almost a month ago on another board. Absolutely not BS. If he hadn’t taken the Baylor job, he would be our DC and probable coach in waiting

3. DaFireMedic

DaFireMedic Junior Member

Feb 18, 2020
    Yeah, I think this to be the truth. We tend to transfer our dislike for Helton’s coaching onto every situation and assume that no coach worth a salt would come to USC because of him, but I doubt that that’s the case.

I still say that USC is a top tier coaching destination, especially when they are willing to pay the going rate for an Aranda level coach.

4. ICEnEC

ICEnEC Points Member

Feb 18, 2020
    “Coach in waiting” implies whoever the current HC is, is preparing to leave. What about Helton gives you that impression??? Not his age, not his time here as the HC. So barring some health issue none of us are aware of, he is nowhere near leaving, of his own accord. No way does any HC allow a guy to come in, as the coach in waiting, unless he’s already planning to leave.

5. ConquerorSC

ConquerorSC Points Member

Feb 18, 2020
    Many press stories are exaggerations or simply not true. This is an example of the latter.

this story is bullshit.

6. Troy70

Troy70 Junior Member

Feb 18, 2020
    Why would a hot coach take a job thinking SC is ready to fire their HC when the media carries President Folt ‘s Clay is her man message. She not the AD called the shots

gubo&palanka likes this.
  7. Jay4usc

Jay4usc Points Member

Feb 18, 2020
    but we have yet to land one.

8. Fyton82

Fyton82 Points Member

Feb 18, 2020
    [​IMG]

"Dave Aranda was coming, Dabo Swinney was coming, Lincoln Riley was coming. Lying is forbidden in Heritage Hall. Clay Helton and Mike Bohn will tolerate nothing but truthfulness as they are men of great honor and integrity. Everyone is encouraged to speak freely of the truths evidenced in their eyes and hearts"

cshen10, TroyWill, OC2SC and 4 others like this.
  9. BlemBlam

BlemBlam Junior Member

Feb 18, 2020
    What about Helton gives me that impression? Gee, I don’t know, what about the movie Dead Man Walking gave you the impression Sean Pena’s character was going to be executed?
    Maybe, because he sucks?
    Besides I was mostly being sarcastic with the coach in waiting comment.
    But I’ve also seen speculation from many people that Harrell is coach in waiting too.
    People can say what they want, but this Aranda story is absolutely true.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2020
  10. zitorocks

zitorocks Junior Member

Feb 18, 2020
    This was funny. I’ll give you that.

Kaptain Karl likes this.
  11. BlemBlam

BlemBlam Junior Member

Feb 18, 2020
    Jeezus man, the person who reported it heard it from both USC and LSU people. He reported it the week after Orlando was hired. He also reported the Deonte Williams hiring three or four days before anyone else.
    I imagine his main source on the Aranda thing was Ed Orgeron, but that is only speculation

it absolutely is not bullshit

Trojan Man 30 and LDIABootney like this.
  12. DaFireMedic

Feb 18, 2020
    This article aside, we have yet to try.

But one could argue that Kingsbury was one, as there were multiple schools and at least one NFL team after him for their OC position, and he chose USC. It took an NFL HC position, literally the highest coaching position possible in football, to get him to go elsewhere.

13. ConquerorSC

ConquerorSC Points Member

Feb 18, 2020
    I do believe that USC made an offer to Aranda. What I think is absolute BS is that he would have come to USC from the National Championship winning team for the same or even a small bump up in salary. Yup, I know his roots are in CA, but it is expensive and $$$ in CA doesn’t get you anywhere near as much as $$ in Louisana. More importantly, there is still much drama within the program and Aranda would not want to play under incompetent Claydoggie unless his salary was substantially raised...and even then...

3E469C24-A3F3-421E-A6BE-A0687363F8A1.gif

14. BlemBlam

BlemBlam Junior Member

Feb 18, 2020
    Well, you can believe what you want to, but I believe what my friend told me privately and then said publicly two or three weeks ago.
    Quote “.If Justin Fuentes had taken the Baylor job, Dave Aranda would be the DC at USC “ That was posted two weeks ago on another board.

Don’t really give a crap if you believe it. You do you. But my friend doesn’t talk to Clay Helton no one does,, so he didn’t hear it from Clay, but Clay seems to have confirmed it.

This isn’t even news for some people, or to put it more succinctly, this is old news for some people

15. DaFireMedic

Feb 18, 2020
    I agree that Helton is an incompetent HC, but why would someone be so opposed to coaching under him as so many here think? When Aranda took the LSU job, Orgeron’s HC record was pretty dismal, far worse than Helton’s, yet he didn’t seem to be too concerned about working under him. Again, I think some are taking their own opinions of Helton and assuming that Aranda and other top assistants must share that same opinion.

I could see a guy like Aranda looking at our starting roster and thinking he could make a huge improvement. I could see him thinking he could build a top defense.

If we’re talking about living conditions, and if you’ve been to Louisiana lately, I don’t see most people choosing it over Southern California. I drove right by LSU a couple months ago and remember thinking it was one of the last places in the US that I would want to live. And a guy making $2.5 mil per year can live pretty much anywhere in the US and not feel much, if any difference in the cost of living.

I don’t know whether this article is true or not. But I could definitely see someone like Aranda coming to USC, depending on the situation they are looking for.

bell and Cyrus like this.
  16. Alfa1

Alfa1 Junior Member

Feb 19, 2020
    This is a meaningless discussion...Aranda is not here, so move on !

cshen10 likes this.
  17. flyfishintrojan

flyfishintrojan Junior Member

Feb 19, 2020
    Does Sean Pena own that corned beef and cabbage taqueria on the corner of Norwalk and Artesia in Cerritos?

Try the shepherd’s pie stuffed burrito with a Guinness lime chaser.

in2nation likes this.
  18. uscjrl98

uscjrl98 Junior Member

WeAreSc Member
    Feb 19, 2020
    I heard similar things but as you accurately state in your comment it was reported AFTER Orlando hired. Most (strike that) ALL reporters want the scoop so why was it not reported until after the fact. You would think somebody anybody would have reported that it was nearly a done deal. The way I heard it was that we offered and he hedged until something better came along and then HH spun the story to some of their reporters. Aranda was using SC to get a better deal at LSU before Baylor opened up. Would he have come here if Baylor did not open up. I don't think so he would have used the SC offer to get a raise at LSU. This happens all the time. I guess we can debate the hypothetical but the clear unambiguous fact is he is not here.

ConquerorSC and gubo&palanka like this.