Defensively Speaking: Iowa (Kevin Bruce)

Discussion in 'GarryP's Trojan Huddle' started by ErikMcKinney, Dec 30, 2019.

1. J4SC75

J4SC75 Junior Member

Dec 31, 2019
    Kevin, thanks for the great analysis as always.

The "can it be done" question, as you suggest, is yes! When Hackett was fired and Carroll hired, yes it happened. Great coaching leadership will always give SC a chance. Comments by parents who have chosen to have their kids go elsewhere are clear that they would have rather had their kids go to SC, but won't because of the poor coaching. Somewhere, and my hope was that it would be higher up in the administration, someone needs to see that true leadership is needed in the football program. That's what needs to click and I can't understand where the problem is.

That being said, toss out the can't be a great athletic and academic institution. I am faculty at the University of Virginia, a comparably ranked academic institution. UVA won the national championship in basketball last year and will be great for years to come. Bronco Mendenhall has taken the football program, one with NO tradition, and gone from 2-10 to playing in the Orange Bowl last night. They lost to Florida but played toe to toe with the Gators, and did so with largely 2* and 3* talent. Mendenhall has a plan, the AD buys in, and the administration buys in. And now he's starting to get 4* talent, while we have been blessed with 4 and 5* talent for years. All to say it's about commitment throughout the organization and there is no reason SC can't be a top rated academic and athletic institution if they want to be. And if they don't want to be, at least be honest with alumni and fans - don't talk about national championships.

2. dbw021

dbw021 Junior Member

Dec 31, 2019
    I feel you pain. It is embarrassing and humiliating to see how easily our defense can be out-schemed. I just can't believe that the university retained Helton.

J4SC75 likes this.
  3. RealTrojan78

RealTrojan78 Points Member

Dec 31, 2019
    Come on now. You know he needs time to look at the film. Clay has worked so hard for these young men to succeed he just needs the vacation to recharge his batteries. You know it isn’t important for him to recruit or get a new staff. He will take care of all of this after he takes care of his family and the fine young men that play for the Trojans. Winning doesn’t matter. Get your priorities straight.

4. dbw021

dbw021 Junior Member

Dec 31, 2019
    The major problem with any new defensive coordinator is will the hfc allow him to do what needs to be done. If Helton wants to continue to run no contact half speed practices, it is very difficult to fix the problems. You can't become a good defensive team unless you go full speed, in pads and tackle in practice.
    I think one of the reasons our defense always looks a step slow in games is because they aren't use to going full speed in practice.

Troianus Acies likes this.
  5. J4SC75

J4SC75 Junior Member

Dec 31, 2019
    Any DC worth their salt will have the issue of practicing on the table - obvious that this team lacks what it takes to perform based on inadequate practices.

6. Troianus Acies

Troianus Acies Junior Member

Dec 31, 2019
    Money first, political correctness next, left wing progressive ideology seeping in rapidly, recent scandals that should not have occurred under the three monkey circus called the B.O.T., a new Folt the Fake to say all the right things and a rubber spine ivy league Bohn-head athletic director making his first disastrous A.D. decision.

What a hand to draw to...the future is dark Luke...we have lost control of "The Force"

7. One More For The Road

One More For The Road Points Member

Dec 31, 2019
    Wrong board Sithanus

SonofGodzilla likes this.
  8. Troianus Acies

Troianus Acies Junior Member

Dec 31, 2019
    There is a transfer portal available for you that will ensure you are in the right place...

TheRealAirbns and DJ4SC like this.
  9. Alvaro Carrillo

Alvaro Carrillo Points Member

Dec 31, 2019
    KB with all the talk about improved technique and S&C, did you notice any improvement in the DL? Why did we not see a noticeable difference? The comment about our DL being blocked really resonates. I remember we couldn't get to the Oregon QB no matter how many guys we rushed.

Rodgarnay51 likes this.
  10. kbruce9022

kbruce9022 Junior Member

Staff Member
    Dec 31, 2019
    One: our reputation is a fragile thing now. PAC-12 is a laughing stock for 5 star players. Helton is known as a fine man and a horrible coach. Don’t go to SC unless you want to lose to all but .500 teams. No great TV as a result combined with time zone hit. We’re making this very difficult. Maybe Bohn is waiting for Urban to be available?? Dreaming but...

Rodgarnay51 likes this.
  11. kbruce9022

kbruce9022 Junior Member

Staff Member
    Dec 31, 2019
    Tommy: It’s my pleasure at least for these board members.

AZUSCfan and Rodgarnay51 like this.
  12. kbruce9022

kbruce9022 Junior Member

Staff Member
    Dec 31, 2019
    Alvaro: I was thinking the exact same thing earlier today. The answer is no. The S&C made no difference second half of the season. There is no substitute for hard practices, running stairs, work ‘em out until they puke. Hate to be graphic but the team needs to put it all out there. Helton won’t do it.

Troy70 and Rodgarnay51 like this.
  13. usc88

usc88 Junior Member

Dec 31, 2019
    It seems that with a reputation of a coach like Helton it would be difficult for USC to obtain a
    top DC. There are names being brought about but all too high caliber for USC.
    Under PC they would come in droves just to learn from him.
    Do you think it was a mistake to fire Pendergast after all he did win a SB?
    And the USC brand is at a low ebb.

Rodgarnay51 likes this.
  14. Rodgarnay51

Rodgarnay51 Junior Member

Dec 31, 2019
    Seemed that way against Iowa too.

15. Rodgarnay51

Rodgarnay51 Junior Member

Dec 31, 2019
    Not Kevin but IMO it was not a mistake. Pendergast had a certain degree of autonomy (which the next DC and Bohn should demand), and he was steadily declining. No more creative blitzes, very ineffective LB play, loose coverage in the secondary and a reckless disregard for edge containment. And so on. Plus he wouldn't recruit. I was a Clancy fan and he may yet regain his touch somewhere else, but he has run his course at USC.

84Trojan likes this.
  16. wes4usc

wes4usc Junior Member

Dec 31, 2019
    What he doesn't realize is that THE dumbest thing is to keep Helton.

Then again I get the feeliing Bohn IS the dumbest AD in the country.

Very depressing.

17. usc88

usc88 Junior Member

Dec 31, 2019
    I beg to digress with your opinion.
    I think it was not Clancy's schemes that was wrong. Did you watch the games?
    I have watched every one and the player is there to make a play.
    But what happens?
    The player misses the tackle. This is big thing to notice.
    It is the culture that is the problem big time.
    If you do not have a basis you cannot build on it.

TheRealAirbns and USCSAE like this.
  18. DaFireMedic

DaFireMedic Junior Member

Dec 31, 2019
    I really think that Bohn is being told what to do from Folt and the higher ups. No AD in his right mind would make the decision to keep a clearly underperforming HC at a historic football program and face the backlash from both fans and boosters without some kind of mandate from his superiors.

I really think his hands may be tied here with regards to Helton.

Then again, I could be wrong..

19. Conquestluvr

Conquestluvr Junior Member

Dec 31, 2019
    This does make sense. If so Bohn should have said " after discussion with Folt, I have decided to retain Helton."

At least then we could all read between the lines and let Bohn save face.