Defensively Speaking: Cal (from Kevin Bruce)

Discussion in 'GarryP's Trojan Huddle' started by ErikMcKinney, Nov 17, 2019.

2. Conquestluvr

Conquestluvr Junior Member

Nov 17, 2019
    Kevin, do you agree with Clancy that USC stopped the run, since he said in his comments that USC's ability to stop the run was huge.
    I do not feel USC stopped the run.

3. kbruce9022

kbruce9022 Junior Member

Staff Member
    Nov 17, 2019
    Stopped the run on a few downs and situations. Boy, I wouldn’t have that out as our key defensive accomplishment. Geez, 34 yard TD run?

4. TommyT

TommyT Junior Member

Nov 17, 2019
    Kevin, with our defensive personnel what schemes would be most effective against the teams USC played this year?

5. TroyBoy

TroyBoy Junior Member

Nov 17, 2019
    KB - you are more optimistic than I re the upcoming game vs thrmruins. I thought we were terrible vs th is game ...especially anytime outside ...and have been all season. That's a strength of fucla and they torched us(c) last year. Our ON play on the edge is horrific. Both Clancy and Baxter are terrible and need to go asap .. regardless of what happens to Helton. Where was McClain this game? I like him as a pass.rusher .. Needs to improve vs. the run. Salami is a headhunter .. and can be intimidating .. but he always seems a hairsbreath away from a personal foul or targeting penalty. To my eye out problems are scheme.related. Drake Jackson has the athletic ability not overcome Clancy 's schematic deficiencies ... But our D overall cannot. They over run plays, take bad angles and seek out contact with blockers instead of avoiding same, slipping blocks, or finding ways to disengage. They overrun plays and don't maintain leverage on the edge.

Yale and Rodgarnay51 like this.
  6. gubo&palanka

gubo&palanka Points Member

WeAreSc Member
    Nov 17, 2019
    Kevin, do you remember those 2 Kenon Christon TD runs against AZ? I believe it was basically the same play. Why can't we block it up anymore? If opponents are specifically keying to stop that play, what else does it open up for our offense?

Last edited: Nov 17, 2019
    Rodgarnay51 likes this.
  7. CoronaTrojanFan

CoronaTrojanFan Junior Member

Nov 17, 2019
    Kevin,

Is Faliniko a player that with the right coaching might become a monster linebacker?

He seems to hit a ton out there but was that just because he was playing on special teams and during garbage time against less-than-starter level talent on the opposition?

8. kbruce9022

kbruce9022 Junior Member

Staff Member
    Nov 17, 2019
    Tommy: That is a great question and deserves a proper answer. Let me soak on it a bit first.

9. kbruce9022

kbruce9022 Junior Member

Staff Member
    Nov 17, 2019
    I think he has skills and is tough to handle. Needs to get coached up and experience.

Trojan4life_itul1 likes this.
  10. BarNone

BarNone Junior Member

Nov 17, 2019
    if prefer if we took advantage of our interior line talent and shot some gaps and not read and react so much

11. TrojanFireHorse12

TrojanFireHorse12 Junior Member

Nov 17, 2019
    Let's hope all these players with clear talent, will be afforded the luxury of having a coach and program next year that knows what they're doing.

12. GoSC1

GoSC1 Junior Member

Nov 17, 2019
    I think UCLA is going to run all over SC Saturday. I would stack that fricken box and force DTR to beat us with his arm.

13. TrojanHorse

TrojanHorse Junior Member

Nov 17, 2019
    "I’m looking forward to our upcoming game against UCLA. Should be chippy, physical and a good test. "

After watching the Cal game, and perhaps for the first time this season, I think we can match UCLA blow for blow on the chipiness scale.

14. LoyalTrojan

LoyalTrojan Junior Member

Nov 17, 2019
    It seems to me that the USC defense all season has had issues plugging the "A" gap allowing the opposing RB to run right through the line and immediately get to the second level before they knew what hit them.

15. TrojanHorse

TrojanHorse Junior Member

Nov 17, 2019
    In fact we won by 24 points over a team where the line was about 4 points. So beating the spread by 20 is normally when we say we played really well...not we played terrible.

eliminator207 and TrojanWagon88 like this.
  16. Wolfpack4SC

Wolfpack4SC Points Member

Nov 18, 2019
    you do realize that the game was already over when they finally ran that play, and most of the defense was comprised of subs at that point.

17. kbruce9022

kbruce9022 Junior Member

Staff Member
    Nov 18, 2019
    Wolf: Sure I do. Still counts, subs or not. These are football players. Play defense and create good habits. Trust me, these 2s and 3s will spend hours watching those last few minutes of play. It is very important to them and the team.

eliminator207 likes this.
  18. kbruce9022

kbruce9022 Junior Member

Staff Member
    Nov 18, 2019
    Loyal: Our A-gap isn't typically our biggest problem. All season we have sold out to stopping the run inside the A & B gaps have done pretty well. Watch the alignments of our 3i and 5 technique guys. They are tasked for anticipated run plays of stopping inside run. Our DEs also continually look to the inside on first down and 3rd and short. The thinking and scheme is C and D gaps will get handled inside out by Mile & Will linebackers and safety help and cornerback from the outside. When teams pull guards and tackles (or fly sweeps too) they create a situation where we have have DLs getting double teamed and neutralized, kick out block by the pulling lineman/linemen which creates a seam that our inside out players can't close on fast enough. UCLA owned us last year running simple power plays, fly sweeps and an occassional counter play. It was awful and an embarrassment.

dbw021 likes this.
  19. kbruce9022

kbruce9022 Junior Member

Staff Member
    Nov 18, 2019
    Gubo: Who could forget?? Great runs. The thing is now with Christon in the backfield, the run portion/read of the defense keys on him in the C/D gaps. Whatever side he lines up on is the side he runs to unless there is a TE blocking. If TE blocking follow him as he will take you to the ball. Predictable and neutralizes Christon's speed. He needs to put into motion more, used in a wing or slot, use in fly sweeps, slip screens etc. Having Carr back will help. Harrell should think about an occasional 22 alignment (two running backs) to confuse UCLA. That forces a run defense alignment and will create at least one man coverage situation in the secondary.

20. kbruce9022

kbruce9022 Junior Member

Staff Member
    Nov 18, 2019
    TroyBoy: Well, can't argue with the effectiveness assessment but, and an important but, we too remember last year's UCLA torching us by the run game. Adjustments get made, assignments should change and get adjusted. CP has to pick his poison on first down and then 3rd down. My guess is we heavy up on 1st down run stoppage while putting major pressure on our corners. 2nd down is a crap shoot but usually a pressure package and 3rd down is situational. It is a fluid scenario on the field in the first quarter. You saw that against Cal. CP had to try a lot of looks and packages to manufacture pressure. Rector getting DQd didn't help but ultimately it was Drake Jackson making the difference.