Dedich at Center? 4th & 1 and LBs

Discussion in 'GarryP's Trojan Huddle' started by trojan raul, Nov 8, 2020.

1. Dedich at Center? 4th & 1 and LBs
    trojan raul

trojan raul Junior Member

Nov 8, 2020
    Dedich was in as center on those big chunks of running yards on the last drive. Anyone notice? I say we keep him in.

The most glaring weakness of team for past few seasons is the inability to convert 3rd and short or 4th and short. How about mixing it up. QB sneak, anyone? Fake the handoff, Slovis keeps and runs or rolls and throws to a back or receiver. Hey, how about the TE? Too predictable. Defense sends all 11 full speed ahead knowing what's coming. Hey everyone, we are going to run a slow-developing run play right into the teeth of the D. Really bad coaching.

Wow, LB play is awful. I mean awful. What's going on? A far cry from Groots and Tui and Rey Rey and Cushing.

2. BehindSunset

BehindSunset Junior Member

Nov 8, 2020
    Without watching the replay hard to say if Dedich made a difference since most of the big gains were to the outside. That said I completely agree with you on the lack of imagination (and worse, execution) on 3rd and 4th and short. Just embarrassing, really.

gubo&palanka and Rodgarnay51 like this.
  3. heyrev

heyrev Junior Member

Nov 8, 2020
    I don't think these short yardage failures are center or tackle problems--it is a guard problem. Our kids are losing gap integrity there, getting beat off the snap, and stood up to a standstill. Running power at that point of attack requires more nastiness and grit. We just don't have the road graders there, rather we have more technique and screen blockers who are distinctly better at pass blocking.
    My other observation is our RB core is not seeing some lanes that are there nor are they making lateral cuts against the flow. They are more north-south, head down runners who hit one hole hard. If it's not there, the play fails.

4. old scotty

old scotty Junior Member

Nov 8, 2020
    Short yardage and stubbornly refusing to go under center? Our OL needs that extra help...qb sneaks, misdirection, lead blocking back.....

This has been trouble throughout the Helton era. He is stubborn

5. 3rd Slide

3rd Slide Junior Member

Nov 8, 2020
    No faith in the o-line.

gubo&palanka likes this.
  6. Ride Fly

Ride Fly Junior Member

Nov 8, 2020
    I'm no expert but could the big chunks of yardage been the result of the defense playing against the long ball more so than OL play? They were keenly aware of the time on the clock and the need for SC to have two scores to win. They seemed to give up the run to protect the long ball.

7. Rodgarnay51

Rodgarnay51 Junior Member

Nov 8, 2020
    Strongly agree with all three of your points trojan raul. I think Dedich is every bit as good as Neilon, who simply gets tossed aside by NTs on runs up the middle.

The short yardage problem is ridiculous, and it shows that Harrell is a work in progress and Helton doesn't know what he's doing. As the head coach, Helton MUST understand that plays take longer to develop out of the shotgun than they do under center. It takes longer for the back to get to the line of scrimmage, and what if the snap is just a hair off or bobbled even slightly? You simply CAN'T have slow-developing plays on the goal line. This is foolhardy to the point where it's not an opinion, it's obvious. Helton has to fix this. I hope Erik or one of the other beat reporters confronts him on this. It can't continue. IMO it's just as bad as the infamous gumbo offense.

The linebackers were so bad they might as well not even have LBs. It was just like last year only #10 isn't John Houston it's Goforth. Gaoteote must have absolutely zero football instincts. When they signed him they made him out to be the next Junior Seau. He certainly looked the part. I only remember him making two tackles yesterday and they were 5 and 15 yards off the line of scrimmage respectively.

The defense gave up way too many big running plays and if the tall ASU receiver could have caught a couple that he dropped the passing would have been that way too.

I'm sorry to be negative after an improbable win, but these problems are on the coaches and need to be addressed. They make a lot of money to put the players in positions to succeed. To finish with a positive I thought Marlon T. was awesome, and Figueroa and Tremblay (while lacking bulk) were pretty good too. I thought Pola Mao, other than the really bad play on the long touchdown run, had an excellent game. He looked very good in coverage.

The defensive line was better than I expected and the offensive line, unfortunately, was a lot worse. We should all cherish the time we have with Kedon Slovis as our quarterback, and I pray he doesn't get hurt.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2020
  8. Jay4usc

Jay4usc Points Member

Nov 8, 2020
    There was a few plays where Neilon was getting blown back. I think you’re right it should be Dedich starting at center. Golforth had ZERO solo tackles and EA had 1 solo tackle. That’s pathetic!

3304F682-F073-4495-B232-A5964EE2F6BD.png

Last edited: Nov 8, 2020
  9. Rodgarnay51

Nov 8, 2020
    Agree that the guards didn't play well; Jimmons had a rough outing. But so did McKenzie. IMO the problems up the middle lie mostly with not using an I formation for short yardage and a lack of push from the center.

SCBirnkrant81 and gubo&palanka like this.
  10. Rodgarnay51

Nov 8, 2020
    And not very smart apparently. I put some of this on Harrell, but Helton needs to fix it.

11. Rodgarnay51

Nov 8, 2020
    Wow! Re: the LBs it was even worse than I thought. Drake was eerily quiet too. They've got to get Marlon some help! It was all him at the line of scrimmage yesterday.

gubo&palanka likes this.
  12. Cyrus

Cyrus Junior Member

Nov 8, 2020
    Joel Klatt made a good observation on one of the failed 4th down plays. On that play Carr lost yardage but if they had called a zone read play Slovis could walk into the end zone. We are just too predictable.

13. BlemBlam

BlemBlam Junior Member

Nov 8, 2020
    Neilon was getting thrown around like a rag doll by their massive Nose Tackle. He is small, with short arms and I don’t think he’s very strong

gubo&palanka, Rodgarnay51 and Canyon like this.
  14. silversprint

silversprint Junior Member

Nov 8, 2020
    This is so true. They keep running from the pistol. The running back is standing still 7 yards behind the line when gets the ball.

gubo&palanka and Rodgarnay51 like this.
  15. big_pete

big_pete Points Member

Nov 9, 2020
    For me, Dedich has been one of the bigger disappointments. I thought he was going to be an absolute monster on our line. A starter on day one. He just looked so dominant at the major camps (Opening, Rivals, etc...). Oh well, I guess there's still time.

gubo&palanka likes this.
  16. AtownSC

AtownSC Points Member

Nov 9, 2020
    Do we even have a second level on our D? Once the QB/RB break through the DL, the LBers are nowhere to be found, and its up to the safeties to stop major gains in yards. EA is usually standing around like a statue or gambles miserably on the play. Only the 1st game... really hope Orlando can adjust and this isnt the product we were sold. If we do meet Oregon in the P12 Championship with this defense, it wont be close.

17. BlemBlam

BlemBlam Junior Member

Nov 9, 2020
    I’ve been saying it for years. Short yardage needs to be from under center. The RB has to cross in front of the QB in the shotgun, so it makes running to the opposite side even harder.

old scotty and dbw021 like this.
  18. dbw021

dbw021 Junior Member

Nov 9, 2020
    The next time Helton fixes anything, will be the first time.