Dan Patrick: USC Booster offered to pay for UM salary

Discussion in 'GarryP's Trojan Huddle' started by RobertSmithLA, Jan 6, 2020.

1. reaLchaZZZy

reaLchaZZZy Junior Member

Jan 6, 2020
    That's a good question isn't it?
    Ask yourself this.
    If there was a BOT approved deal in place to hire Urban, and Bohn was in support of that deal, who could have stopped it???

RobertSmithLA and GoSC1 like this.
  2. BESCFAN

BESCFAN Junior Member

Jan 6, 2020
    He should have interviewed Helton - the ultimate kiss @ss and yes man...

gubo&palanka likes this.
  3. ErikMcKinney

ErikMcKinney Administrator

Staff Member
    Jan 6, 2020
    I don't believe that money was ever a factor in the search.

What I found interesting has come in conversations with a few people who are high up in the administration at other universities. When the topic of Urban Meyer comes up, they say with absolutely zero hesitation that there is no way Carol Folt could allow the hiring of Urban Meyer. Now, they have nothing to do with USC and I'm not saying they're right, but it really stood out how the idea of hiring him at USC was immediately dismissed by people who have a very good understanding of what Folt is trying to do (and what many feel she needs to do) as president of the university.

4. KeenObserver

KeenObserver Junior Member

Jan 6, 2020
    Well that’s depressing

5. reaLchaZZZy

Jan 6, 2020
    There is much, much more to this story than what you all see here.
    As more details details emerge the picture being painted is putting Folt in an increasingly worse light.

6. TMBDave

TMBDave Points Member

Jan 6, 2020
    Assuming that all of the above is true, then I am bothered most by a statement that there are no limitations placed on the AD’s hiring decision, than I am by the decision to exclude any potential candidate. If we don’t want to hire x, I may not say that publicly, because that might make x feel uncomfortable and I would expect more diplomacy. But I also wouldn’t say that there are no limitations.

But isn’t all of this just speculation? Is it possible feelers were put out to Meyer and he said no before discussions really could begin? It feels like this board wants to assign blame, but maybe we don’t and will never have enough information to determine why USC football is stuck with another year of Helton. I am just hopeful it is because the first choice—whoever that may be—signaled a preference to start in 2021, rather than 2020. Again, that is something you wouldn’t make public as it would undermine so many aspects of the program.

7. GoSC1

GoSC1 Junior Member

Jan 6, 2020
    People tend to forget, because this is a football board, that Folt's MAIN priority is to the University as a whole - especially the academic side. I will catch grief for this I am sure, but, the Urban Meyer decision was really a no-brainer for her. I was hoping against hope, but her main priority is the restoration of SCs reputation as an academic University, first. The articles in the LA Times saying no to Meyer, (but arguing that Helton should go), probably had an impact. She would have been branded as a hypocrit. Hard to get things done (clean house) with that reputation.

8. Fertig to Sherman

Fertig to Sherman Points Member

Jan 6, 2020
    Then why not pursue another candidate with less baggage: Matt Rhule, Matt Campbell...etc? Even Kris Richard would be an interesting hire.

9. redeye

redeye Points Member

Jan 6, 2020
    One Billion $$$ = One Thousand Million $$$$. Alumnae Plenty to go around for UM. The world wonders.

10. TMBDave

TMBDave Points Member

Jan 6, 2020
    I agree her job is to the university as a whole, but that does not mean “especially to academics.” And I don’t see how any candidate would necessarily imperil academics outside of failing to make sure players are taking care of business to graduate.

The president’s job is to implement policies set forth by the board. I don’t know what direction, if any, the board has provided to her on the athletics side. So it is difficult to assess her decision making on that front.

11. reaLchaZZZy

Jan 6, 2020
    This isn't speculation.
    What's coming to light now through multiple sources is the reason the deal many knew to be in place, was not approved and who blocked it.

12. Uppershelf21

Uppershelf21 Junior Member

Jan 6, 2020
    "clean house"?.......Please give me an example of her cleaning house? Swann was a no brainer and so was Helton........ooops Helton is still here, hmm so is Lopes, hmm so is Tessalone. Folt hasn't done shit and Bohn hasn't either. These two are puppets for the BOT, especially Caruso. The football program is circling the drain and the only way to get their collective attention is to hit the wallet. Donors are leaving in large numbers.

DADMoyock, Gjimmy, Ladoo and 5 others like this.
  13. reaLchaZZZy

Jan 6, 2020
    Estimates I've seen peg losses since the Helton retention at 2 million+ to approaching 8 figures.

14. gubo&palanka

gubo&palanka Points Member

WeAreSc Member
    Jan 6, 2020

15. gubo&palanka

gubo&palanka Points Member

WeAreSc Member
    Jan 6, 2020

16. AJSCFAN

AJSCFAN Junior Member

Jan 6, 2020
    If this is the case, I'm giving a severance package to all the people in power at USC who are against this move.

17. SCnAZ

SCnAZ Junior Member

Jan 6, 2020
    I heard it as well. Why doesn’t the booster by out Hilton’s remaining contract then we could bring in UM and friends

18. silversprint

silversprint Junior Member

Jan 6, 2020
    The football program is probably the least of the Universities problems right now. Until the more pressing legal issues facing the university are dealt with the football program can wait.

If the admissions scandal involving the athletic department did not come out then we would probably see change sooner. My guess is the scandal is just starting and the problem with USC was more a organization issue.

SC employees were arrested and their defense is basically that the school wanted them to do what they did. If that is true then things are going to get a lot worse before they get better.

ConquerorSC and RobertSmithLA like this.
  19. reaLchaZZZy

Jan 6, 2020
    It's actually an increasingly critical concern.
    The losses in donations are much greater than Folt anticipated and we haven't even gotten into what the University will lose in revenues from an empty stadium and lower concessions sales. Loss estimates I've seen are 2-10 million since November alone.

LaissezFaire28thStUSC likes this.