Clay Helton knows more than Urban Meyer and Kliff Kingsbury. Fight On!!

Discussion in 'GarryP's Trojan Huddle' started by Cardinal&Gold, May 6, 2021.

1. Clay Helton knows more than Urban Meyer and Kliff Kingsbury. Fight On!!
    Cardinal&Gold

Cardinal&Gold Junior Member

May 6, 2021
    Last edited: May 6, 2021

2. GoSC27!

GoSC27! Points Member

May 6, 2021
    Whaaat I though Belechick called Helton about these kids, oh wait Belechick talked to Saban about his kids! Sorry I got that wrong! So again, others see talent in players like Josh and Cary, imagine if they were developed under Helton they may have even got drafted!
    Fight On!

OC2SC and gubo&palanka like this.
  3. Hockey10

Hockey10 Junior Member

May 6, 2021
    A RB with speed like Christon or a OL who can run block like Scott Rodriguez. Theses players will waste away on Helton's sideline unless they transfer. It's unfortunate. I hope we keep them and use them. Helton has moved talent out of position or simply just not used talent properly.

Cardinal&Gold and gubo&palanka like this.
  4. GoSC27!

GoSC27! Points Member

May 6, 2021
    I am sure these undrafted kids feel Helton’s love!
    Fight On!

gubo&palanka likes this.
  5. J4SC75

J4SC75 Junior Member

May 6, 2021
    I hear what you are saying, but Imatorbhebhe was stuck behind some pretty good receivers and I wonder who you would have sat down to let him play? He ended up playing at Illinois because they had very little competition - great move by Josh to showcase his talent. Angeline didn't stay at SC long enough to get a whiff, played one year as a freshman at SC and then transferred for his last three years at NC State. Good move by him, getting into an offense that also showcased his talent. Not saying Helton has a great eye when it comes to talent, but in these cases, can't find fault except his move to an Air Raid offense. By the way, these guys were undrafted free agents, not picked in round 1-7, so we will see how they do in the NFL. If I had to guess, Angeline has a better shot with the Cardinals than Imatorbhebhe has with Jacksonville.

AMLTrojan likes this.
  6. heyrev

heyrev Junior Member

May 7, 2021
    So...every kid who gets recruited by USC needs to start, and if he's not designated as such, Helton has misjudged his abilities? Or, if a kid transfers, it's because Helton has misjudged his ability? Is that the point here? Well, (a) it's pretty obvious you guys have never coached, and (b) get used to a nationwide trend of transfers when kids find out they're not starting. It's the new normal for CFB, regardless of who their coach is.

RB4SC likes this.
  7. Hockey10

Hockey10 Junior Member

May 7, 2021
    A kid doesn't have to start regardless of his his ratings coming out of HS but when some get injured and then don't play as well, some give up too many sacks, some are forced to play out position while others sit on the bench who have potential only to hear the HC say things like "the love of my life" then yes it may be bad coaching decisions. Most good teams have an abundance of talent and not everyone will be happy but when a player doesn't get a chance to play due to favoritism, no competition, or seniority then it is a coaching issue.

8. Hockey10

Hockey10 Junior Member

May 7, 2021
    Granted Josh I. was stuck behind some good WR's but you can put in some packages for him. He caught a lot of TD's. This is what a smart HC. and OC would do. Red zone and short distance packages for first downs. He could be used for jump balls or as a decoy. I'm not a HC and I know that.

Ride Fly and Cardinal&Gold like this.
  9. 3rd Slide

3rd Slide Junior Member

May 7, 2021
    I just keep imagining what Christon, with his speed and toughness, would be doing if he had chosen Oregon instead of USC.

OxyTrojan and SCBIGTIME like this.
  10. Hockey10

Hockey10 Junior Member

May 7, 2021
    I don't want to imagine that. I want to imagine when Defense's drop 8 and he breaks past the line of scrimmage.

11. Troy70

Troy70 Junior Member

May 7, 2021
    but can he pass pro, lol. Forget scoring TDs

12. BlemBlam

BlemBlam Junior Member

May 8, 2021
    Angeline leaving USC had nothing to do with Helton OR playing time. He got caught up in a beef with an assistant coach.
    I would say we should actually wait and see which if any of them make a roster.

13. BlemBlam

BlemBlam Junior Member

May 8, 2021
    Helton will never live down that decision to leave Toa at Center. It almost ruined JT Daniels career. Keeping Neilon there isn’t much better IMO. His snapping is fine, and he seems to make the correct line calls most of the time, but he gets absolutely manhandled by bigger nose tackles. His arms seem extremely short too.

Hockey10, Cardinal&Gold and USCSAE like this.
  14. Trojack

Trojack Junior Member

May 8, 2021
    You certainly can when he's not injured, which, like his brother, was most of his time at USC.

Last edited: May 8, 2021
  15. 3rd Slide

3rd Slide Junior Member

May 8, 2021
    Amen, brother!

16. AtownSC

AtownSC Points Member

May 8, 2021
    Scott Rodriguez can run block??? I know he makes some mean BBQ but some OL skills too... impressive!

Cardinal&Gold likes this.
  17. Cardinal&Gold

May 8, 2021
    You're right Scott's too small for the OL. I'm thinking CB or special teams for the Scottmeister.

Last edited: May 8, 2021
    AtownSC likes this.
  18. Cardinal&Gold

May 8, 2021
    I've always said. UDFA is a longshot. That being said. The fact that Urban Meyer thinks highly enough of you to want to take a look says alot. I'd be curious to know if Urban Meyer even asked about Tyler Vaughns? Who was also in the portal.

As far as Angeline? Clay Helton is the HC. It's his job to keep the peace between players and coaches. Was that coach he had beef with eventually fired? Is that guy a [email protected] who frequently butted heads with people? If so he had to go. Its my understanding Cary left because he wasn't playing. You just can't have distractions if you expect to win.