Clay Helton + #2, #10, #4 and #4 Recruiting Classes = 5-7 record.....

Discussion in 'GarryP's Trojan Huddle' started by SCFaninUtah, Jan 14, 2019.

1. Clay Helton + #2, #10, #4 and #4 Recruiting Classes = 5-7 record.....
    SCFaninUtah

SCFaninUtah Junior Member

Jan 14, 2019
    His last 4 RECRUITING CLASS RANKINGS....

Need I say more?

Development of these classes is not exactly his forte it seems.......

Vince Lombardi said "
    “Winning is not a sometime thing; it’s an all-time thing. You don’t win once in a while, you don’t do things right once in a while, you do them right all the time. Winning is habit. Unfortunately, so is losing.”

And unfortunately, it seems accepting the loss is a habit in HH these days under Helton...

Holy cow how did it get so bad so quick???? Oh wait, it's been trending this way for awhile........

Fire him Lynn and change the habit!!!!!!

jpq21, Hockey10, OC2SC and 5 others like this.

2. Jcanderson69

Jcanderson69 Junior Member

Jan 15, 2019
    PC did the same thing at the end there....he didn’t go 5-7, but he was getting blown out and barely bowl eligible.

KANDI11 and zitorocks like this.
  3. Arhedge

Arhedge Junior Member

Jan 15, 2019
    Let’s not re-write history. 2009 was a terrible year for Pete. He did get blown out twice. But USC won 9 games, beat a top-5 team at their place, and finished the season ranked #20. That is not anything like 2018.

Ride Fly, SC93er, travyav and 18 others like this.
  4. SoCalLifer

SoCalLifer Junior Member

Jan 15, 2019
    Last year our roster was made up of 71% 4 and 5 stars. I believe that was the fourth highest percent in the entire country, it is incomprehensible to think we could go 5 - 7 and not be eligible for a bowl game.

SC93er, jpq21, Hockey10 and 9 others like this.
  5. SoCalN8tiv

SoCalN8tiv Junior Member

Jan 15, 2019
    So much for the USC has soooooo much talent theory that all they need is a bus driver on game day.

Hockey10, RB4SC and SCFaninUtah like this.
  6. SCnAZ

SCnAZ Junior Member

Jan 15, 2019
    Talent isn’t everything, it’s the “only thing”

SCFaninUtah likes this.
  7. SCFaninUtah

Jan 15, 2019
    Whoa....you have got to be joking? CPC NEVER,and I repeat NEVER, went 5-7. With the other guys recruits he managed a 6-6 record.

How one can even compare CPC and Helton is a serious REACH! Desperation makes people do and say CRAZY things. And that’s a CRAZY comparison.

How about ANOTHER decommit to drive my point home. Now that KK has flown the coop it’s going to get ugly jcanderson because Helton hasn’t shown he can develop [email protected]$!!!!!

8. uscjrl98

uscjrl98 Junior Member

Jan 15, 2019
    I get your trying to defend Helton but really. Pete's last 3 years at SC:
    2007 11-2
    2008 12-1
    2009 9-4

SC93er, jpq21, Hockey10 and 6 others like this.
  9. Jcanderson69

Jcanderson69 Junior Member

Jan 15, 2019
    Not trying to defend him at all. As much as I want to see change in the program, I’m not a pile on Helton guy. I’m not going to critique every move and word. Life to short and SC football isn’t that important to me. I have been a player and coach in college football locker rooms. I know everything gets thrown on the coaches lap when 50% or more shouldn’t. That isn’t saying he doesn’t have a hand in it being the leader. But SC’s problems don’t start with the coach or AD.

There is no commitment to winning at the top. That is bigger than the head coach and AD.

SC200SC, FVTrojan, brand56 and 2 others like this.
  10. DJ4SC

DJ4SC Junior Member

Jan 15, 2019

Look, I was one of the biggest supporters of Helton. What we are doing this year should have been done last year. What’s going to happen next year should be done now.

Understand?

11. uscjrl98

uscjrl98 Junior Member

Jan 15, 2019
    I agree. We are a mess and the football situation is a symptom of the current leadership or lack thereof at SC. Having said this as the old saying goes you can't fire the whole team.

ConquerorSC likes this.
  12. DaFireMedic

DaFireMedic Junior Member

Jan 15, 2019
    This is simply not true. Talent is important, but if it doesn’t translate to wins on the field, it means very little.

On the other hand, coaches with much lower levels of talent available to them have done quite well using solid coaching, creative schemes, and player development.

13. sctrojan2006

sctrojan2006 Junior Member

Jan 15, 2019
    Remove all of the 24-27 transfers, medically retired, and expelled recruits from those classes and redo the rankings. Where do those recruiting classes sit then?

zitorocks likes this.
  14. racea911

racea911 Junior Member

Jan 15, 2019
    Because USC is the only school that has transfers, medical retirees and expelled recruits.

ConquerorSC likes this.
  15. sctrojan2006

sctrojan2006 Junior Member

Jan 15, 2019
    Name a program that has had more 4 and 5 stars transfer out, medically retire, or get expelled than USC in the last 4 years.

Just looking at USC's 2017 recruiting class alone, over 20% of the recruits have transferred/transferring or have been kicked off the team. They are Joseph Lewis, Bubba Bolden, Levi Jones, Randal Grimes, and Je'Quari Godfrey.

It is even worse for the 2016 recruiting class, where 25% are no longer with the program for those reasons. They are Oluwole Betiku, Jack Jones, EJ Price, Jamel Cook, and Cary Angeline.

The 2015 class also had about 20% leave for the same reasons. They are Osa Masina, Ykili Ross, Ricky Town, Noah Jefferson, and Kevin Scott.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2019
    SC200SC likes this.
  16. Boselli

Boselli Junior Member

WeAreSc Member
    Jan 15, 2019
    only if you wanna but it might be worth your time to learn that 90% of coaching is teaching.

Hockey10 likes this.
  17. SCFaninUtah

Jan 15, 2019

Ya. That’s kinda my point Boselli....lol. Guess that one flew right on by you?

Keep reading Boselli....as a CURRENT coach I understand the importance of coaching/teaching and developing the talent I am entrusted with. But that’s why I run one of the most successful programs in Utah....Ya I have no problem calling my shot.

It is also a Helton issue IF the issue is transfers and players being kicked off the team. It goes back to what kind of program are you building?

I have said in other posts that Lynn Swann needs to hire a coach who can change the culture of entitlement and seemingly laissez-faire attitude that ex players and alumni see and despise. We need a coach who will instill some discipline on this team - how many 15 yard personal foul penalties at the worst possible times have we seen over the course of Helton’s tenure? I know I have seen WAY TOO MANY. That’s lack of discipline, and ultimately a lack of respect for your coach.

So for those who think it’s recruiting? Nope. The talent is there and if it isn’t then that also is a Helton issue. Like Lombardi said - Winning is a habit! The habit is formed by doing things right all the time. Losing is also a habit and it is formed by NOT doing things correctly - Helton seems to be creating this habit.

18. SCFaninUtah

Jan 15, 2019
    Jcanderson I can respect this and I want to say I have been a pretty staunch Helton supporter. Last year when most were on him for what they thought was going to be a bad recruiting class I said to trust the coaches and their process.

I still believe Helton is a GREAT recruiter overall. Or rather he is able to sell himself to these players and their parents (trust that I understand how important this is) but at some point he has to back that talk and sales pitch up with consistent success on the field. And not the Sam Darnold to the rescue type of success - honestly I felt Darnold didn’t make a big jump or improve much over the course of his 2 years as a starter. In fact the issues he had with turnovers hurt SC many times - that’s a coaching issue - period.

Helton was always able to win enough games. But with the talent he has been given SC should be in the top 4 -6 team playoff each year if recruiting class rankings are to be believed. Look at the other schools in the top 4-5 recruiting rankings the last 4 years. SC, Tennessee and now Florida State are the only ones to have losing seasons. Anyone want to convince me that Brady Hoke and Willie Taggart are good college head coaches??

That’s kinda my point here. The teams who have had losing records when being in the top 4-5 recruiting classes each year usually have had what we would all judge are BAD head coaches that we wouldn’t want running the USC Football Program. But the USC program is currently being coached by a guy who is in the same category as these other BAD head coaches. So what does that say????

The rest of the teams in the top 4-5 consistently are playing in the CFB Playoff year in and year out. What does that say? Recruiting plus coaching equals Playoffs - duh. SC will always recruit well - time to get the coach with the chops needed to get SC where it belongs in the post season.

SoCalLifer, DJ4SC, racea911 and 2 others like this.