CB Kelee Ringo cuts list to five, omits USC

Discussion in 'Trojan Recruiting' started by ErikMcKinney, Jun 27, 2019.

1. CB Kelee Ringo cuts list to five, omits USC
    ErikMcKinney

ErikMcKinney Administrator

Staff Member
    Jun 27, 2019
    Alabama, Georgia, Ohio State, Oregon, and Texas are the five finalists for Ringo. Kid has the ability to be a three-year guy and a top-five NFL draft pick.

2. mvpreed2

mvpreed2 Junior Member

Jun 27, 2019
    Oregon makes it as the token West Coast program?
    Damn...we can’t even make the list anymore?
    I remember when we used to be included just to have a West Coast program in the list.

I am not sure which is worse, not being included as the token West program, or me no longer being worried about it?

OC2SC, Jose, VM805 and 1 other person like this.
  3. SeattleTrojan

SeattleTrojan Junior Member

Jun 27, 2019
    We were never the token West Coast team under PC or even LK (as much as I disliked him, he could recruit). We were always the favorite, even if they were East Coast recruits.

4. TrojanEddie

TrojanEddie Junior Member

Jun 27, 2019
    Helton, the gift that keeps on giving

5. KANDI11

KANDI11 Junior Member

Jun 27, 2019
    Misery loves company.

6. mvpreed2

mvpreed2 Junior Member

Jun 28, 2019
    Whether that is true or not, I try not to rehash individual results under former coaches.
    If we want to be transparent though, Carroll/Kiffin and Sarkisian were very good recruiters, we just didn't have the on-field success.
    Right now, we have declined in both areas, minus our 2017 season which was an outlier.

Jose and nvargas like this.
  7. nvargas

nvargas Junior Member

Jun 28, 2019
    https://www.oregonlive.com/recruiting/2019/06/kelee-ringo-5-star-prospect-and-nations-no-1-cb-has-oregon-ducks-in-final-5.html

The worst part for me - we actually have a commitment from a player on his HS team (K - Lewis), and offered a couple others from his team (Sellers/Covington)...and still can't get a sniff.

Our CB situation is not locked-down like Oregon's is, although, UO doesn't have much depth behind their current starters. We have a bunch of names, a bunch of possibilities, but no positions locked down.

8. Scalum76

Scalum76 Junior Member

Jun 28, 2019
    It goes to show you that most of these kids aren't thinking about life after football. If they are going to live in the west, having a college network in the west will help you more, if they want to live and work back east or down south, then that's where they should go to school. Good luck to the kid wherever he goes, but his life after football if he chooses to be out west will be hindered without a network.

9. Pudly76

Pudly76 Points Member

Jun 28, 2019
    When sark left, the team had no defensive tackles nor tight ends and grad transfers had to be brought in..he also lost Tua Tagovailoa. Kiffin’s job was easier because he followed on the heals of Pete’s success. Anyone following Pete would have had much easier time recruiting. This doesn’t excuse what’s happening now, but sark did the program no favors.

LDIABootney and Rodgarnay51 like this.
  10. Hockey10

Hockey10 Junior Member

Jun 28, 2019
    Kiffin also took over the team at the beginning of the worst sanctions we ever had in football. Having to convince recruits to play on a team with 10 less scholarship players and no Bowl games couldn't have been an easy task.

Trojan12 likes this.
  11. Pudly76

Pudly76 Points Member

Jun 29, 2019
    No that’s not exactly true. Kliff had a big class his first year if I remember correctly. Sark had the worst of the sanctions.

Rodgarnay51 and Troy70 like this.
  12. LDIABootney

LDIABootney Junior Member

Jun 29, 2019
    The kids loving Reggie Bush and remembering those PC years are done. A lot of these kids early football remembrance is Oregon's run in the Pac 12. A 9 or more win season will help a lot.

13. Gold Trojan

Gold Trojan Points Member

Jun 29, 2019
    Ricks and Ringo. Although I’m not real concerned about the DB position.

Pudly76 likes this.
  14. Hockey10

Hockey10 Junior Member

Jun 29, 2019
    I was pointing out that he had to convince recruits to commit to a team that would have only 75 scholarship players while they played there college career. Not how many he could recruit that year. Actually convincing more recruits to play under sanctions make it even more impressive. No hope to play in a Bowl game and less scholarship players playing along side you each year. Tough sell.

racea911, Trojan12 and Pudly76 like this.
  15. USC92

USC92 Points Member

Jun 29, 2019
    I thought we lost Tua because of Sark being fired....

However, Heltons early success was with almost entirely with players Kiffin and Sark recruited (Darnold, Rojo, Banner, Juju, Adoree, Rasheem Green, Rector, etc). Helton has neglected OL and DL recruiting every year with the exception of one year in favor of WR's.

Rodgarnay51 and Trojan12 like this.
  16. uscvball

uscvball Junior Member

Jun 29, 2019
    Except this one isn't "most" of these kids. As Erik said, "Kid has the ability to be a three-year guy and a top-five NFL draft pick."

So I would say his strategy is get to the NFL and the teams listed, sans Oregon, are solid choices for that route. If he's a successful NFL player, the country is his network.

OC2SC, nvargas and Trojan12 like this.
  17. Coeur

Coeur Points Member

Jul 7, 2019
    The Pete era always seemed like they'd always grab 1 guy from each western state. And only the best one.

Arizona- this guy?
    Nevada- beat tight end in thw country and already out of that?
    Colorado- seems a good year for lineman. But none headed to sc
    Utah- need to regain an edge here

Washington- seems to be mow and now talent coming. Tough time for UW to be so good

18. ErikMcKinney

ErikMcKinney Administrator

Staff Member
    Jul 8, 2019
    Yep. Max Browne was the last elite recruit USC signed from Washington. That was in the 2013 class. Trey Davis was the No. 10 recruit from the state of Washington. That's not a state that churns out double-digit guys every year, but you're talking about missing on Budda Baker, Devante Downs, Kaleb McGary, Trey Adams, Isaiah Gilchrist, Foster Sarell, Salvon Ahmed, Hunter Bryant, Henry Bainivalu, Kyler Gordon, Tre'Shaun Harrison, and Nathaniel Kalepo. And those are just the high profile recruits, not including the guys that weren't pursued heavily, like Myles Gaskin and the Oregon offensive linemen (Calvin Throckmorton, Shane Lemieux).

The Arizona streak gets a bump from grabbing Austin Jackson and Isaiah Pola-Mao in the 2017 class, but it's been pretty lean in the state for a long time as well. Didn't sign Davonte Neal, Andrus Peat and D.J. Foster in 2012, Priest Willis and Cole Luke in 2013, Casey Tucker, Tyler Whiley, Qualen Cunningham, Jalen Brown, and Mark Andrews in 2014, Christian Kirk and Keenan Walker in 2015, N'Keal Harry and Byron Murphy in 2016 (USC did sign Connor Murphy in that class), Solomon Enis in 2018, and Jake Smith, Noa Pola-Gates, Brayden Liebrock, and Ty Robinson in 2019.

Utah is in there as well. You had the big year in 2015 with Osa Masina and Porter Gustin, then saw some cracks in 2016, when USC missed on Leki Fotu and Maxs Tupai. Getting Jay Tufele in 2017 was huge, but there's just about no momentum in that state anymore, missing on Penei Sewell and Cameron Latu in 2018, then Siaki Ika and Puka Nacua in 2019, and definitely on the outside looking in for Noah Sewell, Van Fillinger, and Alex Harrison in 2020.

So with very few exceptions, it's been a while since USC has been able to automatically dip into those states for the top players. It's a really good year for talent in Arizona, and at this point I wouldn't bet on USC getting any of them. They're also not going to get the truly elite guys from Washington (Smalls, Scott Jr.) and are probably going to be in for a real fight with Stanford for the guy who looked like he would be a Trojan early in the process, in Ayden Hector.

TrojanEddie, yah20002 and OC2SC like this.
  19. Rodgarnay51

Rodgarnay51 Junior Member

Jul 8, 2019
    I disagree with this. If you look at Pete's last couple years, his recruiting fell off, especially on defense.