Bohn is Not being Truthful

Discussion in 'GarryP's Trojan Huddle' started by Rob384, Dec 4, 2019.

1. Bohn is Not being Truthful
    Rob384

Rob384 Points Member

Dec 4, 2019
    Here is the deal folks.....

Bohn went after a couple of whales. They turned him down. So.... he’s sticking with 8-4 Helton until the buyout makes sense.

To the public he’s not going to say he went after Meyer and/or Stoops (he did btw). If he says that, then it’s devastating to the program that they turned him down.

So, he’s eating crow, saving some money and sticking with Clay. Sure, we could throw $6 mil a year at Franklin over 7 years, add another $10 mil a year for Assistants pay, pay Clay $20 mil thru 2023 and still go 9-3 at best.

I’m just as pissed as everyone else but those are the facts.

Bohn is making a business call here. I don’t like the results but understand the decision based off of the intel above.

Fight On! (PS the poor guys in the ticket office are getting pounded right now. Expect a lot of good seats to be open by late Spring).

2. qqqqqqqman

qqqqqqqman Junior Member

Dec 4, 2019
    Thanks Rob....makes sense.

Gawddammit.

ConquerorSC likes this.
  3. KBfan24

KBfan24 Junior Member

Dec 4, 2019
    Is this speculation or someone actually told you this?

Cardinal&Gold and Redskins Rick like this.
  4. TrojanFireHorse12

TrojanFireHorse12 Junior Member

Dec 4, 2019
    the fool didn't have to just go after the big whales, how stupid

5. AMLTrojan

AMLTrojan Junior Member

Dec 4, 2019
    Something called Occam's Razor.

My thing is, why can't they just be honest?

"We can't afford what it takes to bring a top-tier coach to USC. So Helton gets one more year to prove he's got what it takes. The recruits and fans have already voted -- they don't believe in Helton. Clay, you get one more season to prove us all wrong."

TrojanFireHorse12 and Rob384 like this.
  6. AMLTrojan

AMLTrojan Junior Member

Dec 4, 2019
    Yeah but that's where it gets into mind vs. heart territory. Trojans are ready to dump Clay. But Bohn and Folt come in and look at finance spreadsheets, risks, probabilities, etc. What they see is, there's as much risk and cost going with a Campbell or Fickell as sticking with Helton. Urban is a home run, sure, but you have to pay him enough to get past his reservations about coaching again -- especially in high-cost LA, high-tax California. And then back to risks and finance spreadsheets... which signal, stick with Clay.

To the rest of us, we've seen enough: Clay is most definitely not the answer. To the neutral observer, ditching Clay is the classic "grass is greener" scenario.

ConquerorSC likes this.
  7. BOULDER TO BIRMINGHAM

BOULDER TO BIRMINGHAM Junior Member

Dec 4, 2019
    You nailed it. Yes, Meyer or Stoops would be great. But there are literally dozens of candidates that would be a huge upgrade over Gomer, and instead of embarking on a real search, he chickened out, since he wasn't going to hit a "Home run". I am extremely disappointed in Bohn, who is beginning to sound a lot like Swann

8. Rob384

Rob384 Points Member

Dec 4, 2019
    I was told this. And I’m with each and every one of you. I wanted Clay out. But if the big guys said no to the job, who else is there? Who else is available now?

I still not sold on Bohn but at the end of the day he had to make a call based off of the options still on the table.

9. norcalsurfer

norcalsurfer Points Member

Dec 4, 2019
    The sad part is there are going to be posters who think he is doing a great job

Last edited: Dec 4, 2019
    TrojanFireHorse12 likes this.
  10. Rob384

Rob384 Points Member

Dec 4, 2019
    If only it were this easy for them. I’m with you my friend.

What has me getting peeved now is Bohn saying our recruiting is better then people say etc etc!

11. Jay4usc

Jay4usc Points Member

Dec 4, 2019
    If that’s the case there’s nothing anyone can do. Maybe UM needs one more year and Bohn is willing to wait

Rob384 likes this.
  12. flyfishintrojan

flyfishintrojan Junior Member

Dec 4, 2019
    This assclown is pissing on our leg and telling us it’s raining.

13. TrojanFireHorse12

Dec 4, 2019
    more than enough and better than Mr. Fight

So yeah i don't buy it

I highly doubt it

14. DaFireMedic

DaFireMedic Junior Member

Dec 4, 2019
    I still believe that they couldn’t afford NOT to do what it takes to get a top tier coach.

15. August West

August West Points Member

Dec 4, 2019
    Meyer and Stoops wanted full control....SC suits said no.

So we have Clay instead.

SC wants to win.....on their terms. That’s a loser approach in today’s game.

Boren gave Stoops full control of the program, FB was not tied to other sports, or to the AD, it was it’s own entity.

Meyer transformed the entire culture at OSU from an Admin POV.

We just gave to wait until the next McKay or Pete falls into our lap, we sure as fuck aren’t going to hire one intentionally.

Rob384 likes this.
  16. Daniel Blaine

Daniel Blaine Member

Dec 4, 2019
    I call BS - this is speculation not fact........ SC has billionaire alumni who could piss away $50M and never miss it. Mike Bohn doesn't have the ability to organize the resources needed to make SC great again. What we have are people that wouldn't know greatness if it bit them in the ass.

Cardinal&Gold and USCSAE like this.
  17. ConquerorSC

ConquerorSC Points Member

Dec 4, 2019
    Bohner actually did go after a few other coaches after Meyer shot him down. I've written about the specific coaches, how Bohn eventually went back after Meyer, and how I got this inside info in other threads. Not gonna repeat it here.

18. TrojanFireHorse12

Dec 4, 2019
    No one wants to reawaken the monster that is USC themselves. As it means more recruits for everyone else and most don't want to deal with the bs inside the BOT and HH. To go along with living out here. Hence why GH is thinking about going back to the not big city.

But if Bohner really went after others, then he's a horrible sells person. Got to be a quality coach out there that wants to bring USC back. Because his name sure doesn't start with CH. Maybe it's too soon and some coaches don't want to attach themselves to a new AD? either way 2020 is going suck.

I feel for Slovis and the really talented players on the team despite the coaching and lack of preparation by the HC.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2019
    ConquerorSC likes this.
  19. AnArchitect

AnArchitect Points Member

Dec 4, 2019
    I'm dubious. If the will was there - if the current guy wasn't getting it done to his satisfaction, you could get a future whale (a Campbell, Ruhle, et al) who'd love to come to LA from Ames or wherever even without executive control. You make up your mind and you do the damn thing the right damn way.