Ben Griffith’s punting 75yds?

Discussion in 'GarryP's Trojan Huddle' started by Jay4usc, Dec 13, 2019.

2. ErikMcKinney

ErikMcKinney Administrator

Staff Member
    Dec 13, 2019
  3. OC2SC

OC2SC Junior Member

Dec 13, 2019
    One of the most maddening events of the season but par for the course with our frickin idiot coaching staff. Baxter takes "the best punter in the country with the most power he's ever seen in his 38 years coaching" and turns Griffiths into mediocrity. Season average of 41.4 yds ranking 108th in D1. Net average sucked too, ranking 49th in the country.

Could there not have been even ONE time during the entire season when we were pinned back deep that it would have made sense to give him the green light to flip the field with a 75 yard punt??? SMH

Last edited: Dec 13, 2019
  4. CFB Fan

CFB Fan Junior Member

Dec 13, 2019
    Per CFBstats.com he averaged 41.42 yards per punt, or 6th best in the PAC 12. Not sure where they got the 75 yard punt thing from. Said that Baxter recruited him. Did he even conduct a workout?

5. twincitytrojan

twincitytrojan Junior Member

Dec 13, 2019
    FWIW, Baxter instructs him to kick it high and short.

Baxster notoriously knowing for playing it safe on punts.

Overprotective of minimizing the punt return. Often times it's the right move/play, most of the time it's a poor strategy.

There is a time and a place yet the best teams trust their punt return protection and realize you need to take risks to gain a field position advantage.

Baxter isnt one of those coaches and you know for certain Helton wouldn't speak up if he felt differently.

6. Cardinalblood

Cardinalblood Junior Member

Dec 13, 2019
    Numerous practice reports from all media stated that he was punting the ball up to 75 yards in practice. As stated before, Baxter is at fault for not allowing him to let loose and making him kick high and short for Kick off coverage. Just another example of this coaching staff destroying players. Baxter is a fool! When will this nightmare end!

7. ICEnEC

ICEnEC Points Member

Dec 13, 2019
    I remember reading reports from the fall that he was kicking the ball all over the place. Then the first few games, we didn't see what we had read about. Had to figure he was instructed on how and where to kick from Baxter based on situation. That being said, he was able to kick it more than 30 yards on a regular basis, which was a huge step up from the last couple of years. He did flip the field up in Boulder as I recall. Along with pinning the utes deep, right before Jacksons's sack. Worst case, the guy did, what he was asked to do.

8. Cardinal&Gold

Cardinal&Gold Junior Member

Dec 13, 2019
    When I played basketball. I shot 75% from the field in practice.

Only: 32%. In games.

I say this article it's BS. If you can do it. Then do it

If Baxter told me not to throw my 98 MPH fastball and told me to throw 89 instead. Id tell him to shove it. It's my career and let if fly. He could bench me or I'd transfer.

I've never heard of a coach asking a player not to go all out and use thier God givin talent 100%.

Baxter if your kicker is out kicking the coverage. Get faster guys. Genius. Your kickoff coverage sucked anyways. Might as well let this guy flip the field.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2019
  9. SouthbayTrojan91

SouthbayTrojan91 Junior Member

Dec 13, 2019
    Ok sparky.

10. The Garage Mahal

The Garage Mahal Junior Member

Dec 13, 2019
    If I'm not mistaken, yardage and net yardage for a punter is fairly useless.

Aren't the important numbers hang time, % of kicks downed inside the X0, and drop time?

The guy sounds like he has incredible power but nearly no idea how to play the position yet.

11. CFB Fan

CFB Fan Junior Member

Dec 13, 2019
    Net yardage is very important. It reflects punt yardage net of return yards, so the effect of hang time is incorporated in net yardage.

12. dp4life

dp4life Points Member

Dec 13, 2019
    Heck, those Aussie rules dudes not only kick far, but they have to be accurate as well - as the kicks in that game are really long passes. So, in theory, he should be able to not only kick it 60+ yards, but also pin it near the sideline. My gut tells me he was hamstrung by Baxter.
    But, how does Baxter justify conservative punting with kicking off deep to the Floats with 10 seconds left in the half?
    Anybody check his pockets for Fireball? Can't remember - was Baxter on Sark's staff?

Rodgarnay51 likes this.
  13. Rodgarnay51

Rodgarnay51 Junior Member

Dec 13, 2019
    Not only that, when was the last time you saw SC block one?

Baxter is a blight on the Trojans.

14. big_pete

big_pete Points Member

Dec 14, 2019
    Ol' Handcuffs Baxter strikes again

Cardinal&Gold likes this.
  15. tommytrojan1122

tommytrojan1122 Junior Member

Dec 14, 2019
    Have you seen USC’s kickoff coverage this season? Do you really want to punt it past the already abysmal coverage on special teams?

I don’t understand how USC could have so many athletes and yet have such atrocious coverage.

16. Cardinal&Gold

Cardinal&Gold Junior Member

Dec 14, 2019
    What would you do? Beg for playing time? Follow leader? Please coach, please coach don't bench me. I'll do any thing just to play. How do you take your coffee again?

17. The Garage Mahal

The Garage Mahal Junior Member

Dec 15, 2019
    But it's confounded by coverage quality. Yes, given two equivalent coverage units, hang time would be incorporated into gross yards - net yards, but SC's coverage was somewhat less effective than national average...frequently, by precisely one less man.

I'm no special teams scout, but I always thought hang time, placement, and drop time were the brass rings to evaluate punters.